• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Should I replace this timing chain?

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
68 289 (originally, not sure if it's original motor) 155K The timing cover was off before, and it has a nylon cam gear. The pictures below show the slack in the chain. I'm scratching my head. This was in a container for 10 years in New England. It doesn't smoke at all, and runs smooth. I forget how much slack is acceptable, but this seems like a lot to me.

Thanks!

Attachments

• timing1.jpg
    timing1.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 147
  • timing2.jpg
    timing2.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 137

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Timing chains are cheap. If you have the timing cover off just do it.

X2

No slack there (what you're seeing is what a new chain has after 5 min), but as long as the cover's off, replace it. I'm not a fan of nylon teeth. I am a fan of Cloyes timing chains. But do it right with press-on tool, not a hammer. Soak chain in oil before you put on, and heat the crank gear in boiling water first to expand it. You might get it on without the tool.

Last edited:

Kbpony

If you still have a nylon gear, I would replace it. I had one come apart on me once and it is not worth the hassle.

OP
OP
B

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
X2

No slack there (what you're seeing is what a new chain has after 5 min), but as long as the cover's off, replace it. But do it right with press-on tool, not a hammer.

Thanks guys.... will any SB Ford single chain work? I can't be certain what this motor is out of. Also, I need to button this up tomorrow, so I may have to use Autozone.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Take block number to autozone. 65-88 small block 289-302 SHOULD be the same, but there were some specific ones for 72-2002 302-351

akafrankcastle

Loc.
Kansas City
This is timing chain slack. Not to brag. Engine still ran, with like 20* of timing variance at idle. Burned oil like crazy. Around 105k original at the time.

4c69b0b428b24d26592e3dd682706afb.jpg

137cd15a3bdad3f6b13f392caba2618c.jpg

OP
OP
B

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
I found some info on the Comp Cams site. I have a two piece eccentric so I can only assume I have a newer motor. "Two different length dowel pins were used in the front of the cams in 221-351W engines. In 1972 and earlier engines, a longer (1.375”) dowel pin was used so that it would extend through the one piece fuel pump eccentric used on these engines. The 1973 and later engines utilized a two piece fuel pump eccentric which required a shorter (1.125”) dowel pin. If no eccentric is used, a thicker than standard retaining washer must be used to make up for the thickness of the eccentric."

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Nylon gears were made to keep noise down... I had a 69 Mustang that had all the teeth come off and where in the pan.

As others have said, you are there, parts are cheap, just do it. ;D

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Wow I can't believe they are still that cheap. I was going to post that back when I had my parts store I could SELL YOU A COMPLETE CHAIN & BOTH GEARS for about 20 bucks.
Not worth ever thinking about it again.
... So just replace them.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
It has a nylon gear, you have it apart, change it now.
The nylon gears were not one of the better ideas.

broncogt

Old engine with nylon gear jumped a tooth around 175,000.

I put a new chain on and it was so tight it wiped out the front cam bearing. If I was to do it over I would put on a quality double roller chain. The roller chain in the replacement engine was much looser than the new OEM style in the old engine.

OP
OP
B

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
I blew it off. I couldn't get the right style chain, and had to button it up today. Hopefully it holds up. Thanks guys...