• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My driveshaft, whats parts should I replace?

BroncoOwner.me

Here's a novice question from a shade-tree mechanic.

While investigating a noise in my drivetrain I noticed a lot of play in the front u-joints of the driveshaft. My question is, other than the 2 u-joints do I need to look at the yoke (or whatever its called) connecting the two u-joints? Is this a part that typically goes bad?

Attachments

• 20151018_125034.jpg
    20151018_125034.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 20151018_125042.jpg
    20151018_125042.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 20151018_133622.jpg
    20151018_133622.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 47

Ourobos

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Big Island Hawaii
It is a PITA to replace that ball yoke in between the front two joints. I found for just a bit more than the price of all the parts, I bought a whole new shaft from JBG, about $240. Made a world of difference on smoothness of the ride too.

Whoaa

Bronco Guru
Ck this out http://www.4xshaft.com/ click on "early bronco" on the left side

In addition to the U joints wearing out, most of the time the ball & socket gets wore and creates issues/vibrations; from lack of grease and consistent maintenance over the years

You can have them rebuild your shaft, or buy the parts and do it yourself, or buy a new shaft. Make sure to view the tech page for some good educational reading

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Check for excessive play in the slip yoke. If that is worn as well you are probably better off just getting a new shaft instead of rebuilding what you have.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
.. I too say just do yourself a favor & buy the complete shaft. It'll come with a warranty . Putting that CV Joint together is a bitch. You'll most likely be so mad when your done It'll make you cuss your family. & then you'll be in trouble.
.. So buy the complete shaft.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
That's the kit you'll need.

I've rebuilt shafts a number of times before the slip yoke wore out. Then it was time for a complete new shaft.

I'll rebuild next time too.

If you've got a vice, a big C-clamp, hammer, and drift, you can rebuild it.

It just takes a bit of patience.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I wouldn't buy that kit - the cv head should say Spicer on it and it doesn't, meaning it is a cheap reproduction part.

That one Spicer part alone is over $65 - ujoints around $12.

Cheap parts let lose and cause more damage and cost more $$$

OP
OP
BroncoOwner.me

BroncoOwner.me

Thanks for all the advice guys! This site has been extremely helpful for me! Mainly because I'd like to have my bronco drivable by this weekend I ordered the whole driveshaft from JBG

Thanks

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I wouldn't buy that kit - the cv head should say Spicer on it and it doesn't, meaning it is a cheap reproduction part.

That one Spicer part alone is over $65 - ujoints around $12.

Cheap parts let lose and cause more damage and cost more $$$

Good point.
I'd still buy the Spicer parts and rebuild. That's because I have more time than money.;)
But I have to say, my Spicer front ring and pinion set said "made in Venezuela." I guess South America is still America.%)