• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Should I replace gas line

vtboy51

I'm putting in a new tank this weekend and wondering if I should just replace the lines from the tank to the fuel pump while I'm at it. If so, what size tubing is recommended?

DJs74

Bronco Guru
I'm putting in a new tank this weekend and wondering if I should just replace the lines from the tank to the fuel pump while I'm at it. If so, what size tubing is recommended?

Is the current fuel line badly rusted, flaking, kinked, etc? If yes, then I would replace it while you can. If it is solid and in good shape, I probably would not replace it just for the sake of replacing. In most cases and if it is original, it might be good to replace the line along with the tank.
I used Ø3/8" stainless steel line when I replaced mine but Ø5/16" would've probably been fine - I just happened to have a coil of Ø3/8 on hand at the time. Regardless of whether you replace the line or not, I would add an inline filter - pretty close to the fuel tank.

DJs74

POPPAWS BRONCO

Loc.
Horn Lake, Ms.
These trucks are old. I do agree let's not change stuff to change it. But you have to decide do I want to worry about this one component I didn't change when I was working on my fuel system. I recently replaced from intake manifold all the way to the tank when I did my EFI swap. But now I check fuel problems off my list to worry about. I used 3/8 braided steel line in a return system with internal and inline filter. Good luck which ever way you go.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru

The original lines on the later models had plastic lines made by Polypenco they hold up extremely well, don't rust and should not need replacement but in various spots there are rubber line making connections. Those rubber lines should be replaced and good clamps added. Replacement poly line can be purchased at Mc Master Carr.

The quality of fuel line at the autoparts has gone to hell from everyone wanting to save a buck. I buy my critical fuel line from marine suppliers and buy grade A-1 a far superior product.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The original lines on the later models had plastic lines made by Polypenco they hold up extremely well, don't rust and should not need replacement but in various spots there are rubber line making connections. Those rubber lines should be replaced and good clamps added. Replacement poly line can be purchased at Mc Master Carr.

The quality of fuel line at the autoparts has gone to hell from everyone wanting to save a buck. I buy my critical fuel line from marine suppliers and buy grade A-1 a far superior product.

All of that^. ;) That plastic line that came from the factory is some tough stuff.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I'd leave it alone if you had no issues w/it before..

Broncobowsher

Total hack
No question on the rubber bits you will be touching. You will flex them in ways that they have not been flexed since new. They will need replacing.

Now the hard line, that can go a couple different ways. Short answer, it depends. If you know there are issues, replace. Otherwise, if they are in good shape, I would leave them. Really impressed with the factory plastic line. Even with todays mystery blends of fuel they are known for holding up just fine.

gray gables

funny you type this. I had to replace my whole fuel system this summer,except for the PLASTIC fuel line. The guy who did all the work said it was fine. Mine is a 67 by the way.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Very possible. They may have tried different things and the change in tank and evap lines might have been the time they did it. I wonder if anyone with a '76 can chime in with whether theirs were metal or plastic?

Some of the plastic lines will last forever and a half, while others will deteriorate from heat or whatever to the point they literally fall apart in your hand when you touch them.
Maybe Ford never had that issue, but I've seen both scenarios with the plastic, so they may have decided that discretion was the better part of valor. Just not trusting it completely.

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
'77 has that new fuel tank, one year only. Very possible they did metal lines to avoid tooling up a new plastic line for a single year of production.

helo-mech

Very possible. They may have tried different things and the change in tank and evap lines might have been the time they did it. I wonder if anyone with a '76 can chime in with whether theirs were metal or plastic?

Some of the plastic lines will last forever and a half, while others will deteriorate from heat or whatever to the point they literally fall apart in your hand when you touch them.
Maybe Ford never had that issue, but I've seen both scenarios with the plastic, so they may have decided that discretion was the better part of valor. Just not trusting it completely.

Paul

My '76 has the metal filler lines.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I replaced all of mine because when I pulled my truck in for the 1 ton swap the nylon line cracked and sprayed fuel everywhere. I don't like the nylon line at all because without the special barbs and boiling water you cannot repair it on the side of the road.

Steel is the way to go - new rubber line that can take ethanol is key as well.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Unless you're doing a restoration I would not leave that nylon crap there.

Whether it is "fine" or not.
Its a 50 year old bad idea. Go steel. I went with ss braid. Been there for 20+ years and I haven't had to give it a second thought.