• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Serpentine conversion parts list

G

Anybody here have a good comprehensive list, what I should pull from, what years etc so on.. I'm running a 72 351 Windsor with the 3 bolt balancer. Any help would be cool as I have the weekend to go junkin' around. I also already have a the serp pulley for my 3g and a Napa pump still in the box with the serp pulley.

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
If you are going to try and get pulleys and brackets from a junkyard, you have two basic choices:
  • Non-mustang (LTD, Caprice, T-Bird, etc..) 2-belt setups with the standard rotation water pump (which stick out further than the Mustangs)
  • Mustang single belt setup with the reverse rotation water pump
The problem with what you want to do is the 3 bolt HB, which means you have probably kept the old 302 bolt ons like PS and alternator. This means basically that everything on the front of the engine has to be changed out with whatever setup you use. The bottom pulley from a serp setup "can" be adapted to fit the 3 bolt HB if you redrill it or buy BC Broncos adapter. These swaps work and I almost did the junkyard swap until I realized I was going to "nickle and dime" the conversion until I could get everything to fit properly. I was begining to notice a few things:
  • the 2 belt setups have a variety of configurations and thus can compound the problem of where you located the alt. and PS
  • 2 belt setups stuck out farther than the single belt ones and this caused problems with my 351W and a 4 core radiator
  • Mustang setups are rare and expensive
I decided to use BC Broncos Mustang serpentine setup because it is complete and easy to install - my recommendation is invest in Chuck's setup. This is no commercial for BC - it is a testimonial! ;)

I might still have a bunch of brakets and pulleys left over from my initial attempts if you need them - hope I didn't just trash that stuff! ;D

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
I am all for people saving money. Go to my site and down load a picture of my set-up and take it to the junk yard with you. Most of it comes from a around 87 mustang. Most of the 351ws don't need the crank adapter, Just re-drill the pulley holes. If you need help give me a call.

OP
OP
G

I've got a line on a late 80's Lincoln TC, engine blown and the guy will see the whole shootin' match for 100 bucks. Could I use the serpentine setup off this car?

eBronc

Loc.
Austin, Texas
I'm in the middle of doing this on my 351W.

I'm using:
*A 5.0 Mustang reverse rotation aluminum water pump.

*5.0 Mustang crank, alternator, and water pump pullies. (Stock, not underdrive.)

*P/S pump, pulley, and aluminum bracket from an '89 Lincoln Town Car, which mounts on driver's side, right next to the fuel pump (they use the 2-belt setup on the 5.0).

*The 351W's stock alternator bracket ('84 F150), which mounts to the passenger side head, up high next to the thermostat housing.

*The Mustang alternator pulley fits either the Delco 10SI alternator I rebuilt for one-wire operation or the stock 351W Ford alternator (and they both fit the stock bracket). I may end up using a 3G 130 amp alternator, have to see if it fits the bracket or not.

The 5.0 Mustang 4-bolt crank pulley needs to be spaced out 3/8" from the late 70's 28 oz balancer I'm using, but everything else lines up perfectly, and looks stock. The serpentine belt will run from the crank pulley up around the water pump, over to the alternator on the passenger side, then over to the P/S pulley and back to the crank pulley. No interference with anything, and plenty of belt wrap around all the pulleys. Belt adjustment will be by moving the alternator in it's factory bracket.

Here's more detail:

http://www.mcguill.com/Bronco/tech.htm

Don70Sport

Loc.
Ark/LA/Miss
Man this is good info, thanks alot. Since my last post I called a local U-Pull-It and am being told he has what he believes is either an 86-88 mustang 5-oh, quoted me 45 bucks over the phone to yank everything from the timing cover out, sounds fair. I'm gonna do this in lieu of messing with the Lincoln. Once again, thanks for all the info. Pssssst :-X BTW, this truck is gonna be for sale later this summer, its in the gallery on page 44, 4th down.

Don70Sport

Loc.
Ark/LA/Miss
One more quick thing, I see you are using an 89 Lincoln PS bracket to mount on the drivers side, does that mean the 5.0 bracket doesn't mount on the drivers side? TIA

eBronc

Loc.
Austin, Texas
[quote author=Don70Sport link=board=5;threadid=18822;start=0#msg144103 date=1055870611]
One more quick thing, I see you are using an 89 Lincoln PS bracket to mount on the drivers side, does that mean the 5.0 bracket doesn't mount on the drivers side? TIA
[/quote]

No, I can't think of any application that mounts the power steering pump on the passengers' side. It's just that the Lincoln aluminum bracket uses 3 bolts to connect to the water pump, then 2 more to the cylinder head, and mounts the pump in a slightly different location than most of the other P/S brackets out there. The Lincoln bracket also mounts the alternator on top of the P/S pump in the stock application, but I decided not to do that. What's handy about the Lincoln bracket is that has both the 302 and the 351W bolt patterns (remember the 351W is an inch wider and taller than a 289/302) for the bolts to the cylinder head, so it'll work no matter what Windsor you've got.

I'll take some pics of the whole setup and post them tonight.

swmhuskie

Loc.
Des Moines, Ia
hey i just bought a 94 5.8 and i was not thinking that far ahead, i am guessing now that it is a serp set up? And since i would like to use a saginaw PS pump what would my options be? Would i have to set it back up to a conventional way, and then go with the NAPA Pump conversion? Thanks for reading-kyle

OP
OP
G

Is there a ps pump recomendation to use with the serpentine setup, can you use the Napa kit #20-6244, or do I have to use the Thompson pump I have now. Thanks in advance

OP
OP
G

Chuck, thanks for all the help, let me ask you this, I read in a post that the crank pulley needs to be spaced out 3/8" further with this setup, does your adapter plate space the crank pulley out as well as allow me to use my 3 bolt balancer? I'm thinking I'm gonna have to order one

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
I don't know anything about 3/8". My adapter is about 3/4", it bolts to the 3 bolt damper and has holes for the 4 bolt pulley. With your 351w I don't think you will need a adapter at all. You will need to drill 2 new holes in the S-belt crank pulley so that you can bolt it to the 3 bolt damper

eBronc

Loc.
Austin, Texas
I had to space my crank pulley out 3/8" to line up with the water pump and other accessory pullies.

I'm using a late '70's four-bolt balancer on my 351W and stock '90 5.0 GT crank, water pump, and alternator pullies.

Ford Motorsport (and some Mustang parts places) sell spacers (not adapters) for four bolt balancer/pulley combinations in different widths - .350" (M-8510-A351), .950" (M-8510-B351), and .875" (M-8510-C351) are the ones I know about, there may be others.)

If you're using a 3-bolt balancer and stock Bronco water pump, you probably won't need a spacer, just drill the serpentine crank pulley for the 3 bolt pattern to match
the balancer (one of the holes will already line up.)

Don70Sport

Loc.
Ark/LA/Miss
Re:Serpentine conversion parts list(eBronc)

Here's a bit of an update, and a few more questions. At this point I've gotten the ps pump bracket assembly off a Lincoln mark VIII, late 80's early 90's, the whole serpentine assembly off a 88 5.0 mustang, and an alternator bracket off 84 F-150, V8, as per eBroncs recomendations. I figure with all this crap I'm bound to make something work. I found pretty quick that my 3G will not fit into the alt bracket from the F-150, so I've set that aside, the Lincoln ps pump bracket bolts right in, and is suprisingly light :), I'm gonna use that for sure. I have a couple questions for you eBronc if you see this, do you have a part # on the fitting I need to make the Lincoln pump work with the stock Bronco plumbing. Also I am going to run the alternator on the drivers side over top the ps pump, looks like the bracket was made for a 3G, do you see any cons to running the alt on the drivers side? My left side can be freed up to run a air compressor if I so choose. Last question, my stock mech fan is going to hit the ps pump pulley, if I space it closer to the radiator I still believe it will be dangerously close to the pulley, did you have this problem. I've kinda been looking for an excuse to go to an electric fan anyway, this may be the one I need. Thanks in advance.