• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

SEMA - Blueprint Engines will soon use new 302 blocks

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
The only real EB-related nugget I got at the much-smaller SEMA Show this year was the announcement from Blueprint Engines that they will now be selling new 302 blocks and offering them as an option in their engine builds.

I initially stopped by to ask when their Bronco 306 builds may be available again. Their sales manager couldn't give me a good date as their core suppliers have not been providing much as of late. "However, you might be interested in this instead," he said, and walked me over to a new engine block on display. A brand new 302 block (not bored out) with 4 bolt mains. "Well, this looks nice", I said, "must be an offshore product?" Nope - produced in the USA. Great! He indicated the price for a long block with this new block won't be much more than a build with one of their "seasoned" 0.040" over blocks.

Looks like it will be a great option for those of us considering a crate engine based on the 302.

Todd Z.

Attachments

• IMG_6960.jpg
    IMG_6960.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_6961.jpg
    IMG_6961.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 183

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are my eyes deceiving me, or is there a boss for clutch linkage mounting?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I'll try and take a peek in a few hours.

What little of the show I saw yesterday, just call it a little show

OP
OP
toddz69

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I'll try and take a peek in a few hours.

What little of the show I saw yesterday, just call it a little show

It is much smaller this year - on Tuesday I had a table all to myself for lunch! You'll see a lot of blank space where I've never seen it before - even in the years during the recession and after 9/11. The new West Hall is a nice venue though. 1300 vendors vs. 2400+ in 2019.

Todd Z.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I really want them to do a aluminum 302 block. I would buy it, but this is pretty amazing, i am sure they are tired of trying to find used ford "seasoned blocks"

OP
OP
toddz69

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I really want them to do a aluminum 302 block. I would buy it, but this is pretty amazing, i am sure they are tired of trying to find used ford "seasoned blocks"

I'd love to know how the supply chain works for used blocks. Despite the fact that the 5.0 Explorers are aging out of the yards, I still see a fair number around that could easily donate blocks and the crews don't go through the local yards picking them like they do with the other accessories. Maybe pulling blocks is too much work for the $$ involved - I don't know.

An aluminum block would certainly be nice but I'm taking these things in baby steps and planning for aluminum heads on my next engine -which I've never had in a Bronco or pickup before.

Todd Z.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Glad I attended the event in 2019 with Taz and Bella....

It was our Birthday Trip..

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
My girlfriend and I last went to Sema 2018 and we couldn't finish seeing the whole show in three days. we got married while there on Halloween. found out what happens in Vegas doesnt necessarily stay in Vegas. We haven't been back since.

walls

Just curious what would make you want an aluminum block over an iron block? Typically aluminum block motors make less power and cost double. Besides some weight savings that really isn't that important in a bronco I cant see why you wouldn't put the money elsewhere to better other areas of a motor you are building.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
They are iron, that's it.

But you can't buy the blocks. They will only be selling them as engines. As they described it to me, they are engine builders, not parts suppliers. Makes sense, why supply parts for your competition? Sell them the whole engine.

Clutch boss, yes.
351, yes (in the future)
4.125 bore, yes (future plans)
They were talking 427 and 460 small blocks.
Don't rush too fast. They only have 20 blocks or so right now. This is only the start.

Castings feel beefy. Not as much "thin wall" that Ford was making. Nowhere near a Buick 455 (those were cast so thin that tissue paper feels thick).
4-bolt mains, with spayed caps, on 2,3,4. 1 and 5 are normal 2-bolt.
Freeze plugs are arranged a little different, and a couple more at the front of the block.
Oil galleys behind the timing chain are now threaded instead of press fit.
And it is roller cam compatible.

Start looking for them next year. The 351 will be some time after that. My guess is SEMA next year.

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Reviving this one as mine is finally ready to ship after several delays. Has anyone installed one of them yet? Any feedback if so? Unfortunately I had to go with another engine for my current build so this one will have to go into the parts bin until I need it.

OP
OP
toddz69

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Reviving this one as mine is finally ready to ship after several delays. Has anyone installed one of them yet? Any feedback if so? Unfortunately I had to go with another engine for my current build so this one will have to go into the parts bin until I need it.
Which model did you get? Per their website, it looks like their "Cruiser 302" is the only one with the new block right now.

Todd Z.

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Which model did you get? Per their website, it looks like their "Cruiser 302" is the only one with the new block right now.

Todd Z.
I am not sure what they call it. The invoice says 302 CT and the Dyno sheet sent shows it at 373hp. Edit: I just looked at the website and yes they call it a cruiser now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
toddz69

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
That looks like it's a 302 Cruiser with a front sump pan.

Todd Z.

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That looks like it's a 302 Cruiser with a front sump pan.

Todd Z.
So far they don't have this new cast specifically for the bronco yet. I am not sure why they don't but maybe too busy to add more options? It would be that hard to build it with the right pan.

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
So far they don't have this new cast specifically for the bronco yet. I am not sure why they don't but maybe too busy to add more options? It would be that hard to build it with the right pan.
They have rear sump pans on the site now. They look like they would work for the bronco right?

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
They have rear sump pans on the site now. They look like they would work for the bronco right?
Yes, it is something they offer on the specific Bronco package but not yet on this new block (cruiser). I have requested it again so perhaps they will make that a future option.

Torkman66

Contributor
I ordered one specifically for my 72 last Nov. it is being built now with delivery exspected end of May. They are installing rear sump. This is actually cheaper than the Bronco engine. Fully dressed. What I like is that the Cruiser model gets 16 vac at idle. So nice smooth engine but over 365 hp. I’ll post pics and info once I get my hands on it.