• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

OOPS...another DUM stunt on the transfer case

jerrybromley

Contributor
So I had a leak in my transfer case that was coming from the front yoke and I pulled the yoke and seal retaining housing and replaced the seal.
Then I decided I would replace the rear yoke seal as well. I pulled the yoke and pulled the rear seal housing bolts ( as I did on the front ) And low and behold loose bearings started to fall :eek:
My question is what is the best way to reassemble this screw up ? Can you pack the bearings with grease to hold them in place or do I have to drop the transfer case and get it in another position ?:?

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
You can hold them in place with grease. If you have not done one before the last of the 13 bearings has to slide in horizontally in order to go in, it holds them in place very well with the grease. I did see this thread recently, it is the way I did mine as well. Post #6 has good information. Good luck with it!

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300174

OP
OP
jerrybromley

jerrybromley

Contributor
Thanks ! I feel better now . I was just about to try it. A little confidence, it will work, always helps ;D

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Like Glass Pony said. Situation normal on those bearings. The first time it happens and you are not ready, you feel like throwing up because you think you screwed up the t case. Good times!

OP
OP
jerrybromley

jerrybromley

Contributor
Well thanks to the advise I got here it all went back together as it should... Halalooya... !:D