• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Moroso Deep Sump…Oops

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Anyone have any thoughts? I mean I can get the drain plug in and out, it’s just really really tight. Two pinkies fit there. 😅

I could prob find something at Home Depot to use to direct the flow of oil away from the frame when I have to remove it and drain. Is it worth the effort to pull it out? That pan is such a pain to take off too…wish I hadn’t used oil pan studs. They make it so much more difficult to get on and off, defeats the purpose.
Just drill a hole where you want the drain to be and put some flex tape over it. TaDah. easy as cake.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Ill wait until I need to drain the oil and then do that...or maybe use flex tape when I can't get that drain plug back in.

:cool:

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
If I had something that tight I would just drain it like marines engines - suck the oil out the dipstick tube. It is not as fast but no leaks and works just fine. I guarantee you will be sorry if you try to cut a new hole in the pan, weld in a backup plate, fit a drain plug.

There are cheaper ones this is an easy to use unit to drain the oil.

https://www.harborfreight.com/autom...s/23-gallon-manual-fluid-extractor-62643.html

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
If I had something that tight I would just drain it like marines engines - suck the oil out the dipstick tube. It is not as fast but no leaks and works just fine. I guarantee you will be sorry if you try to cut a new hole in the pan, weld in a backup plate, fit a drain plug.

There are cheaper ones this is an easy to use unit to drain the oil.

https://www.harborfreight.com/autom...s/23-gallon-manual-fluid-extractor-62643.html
Thanks, I was planning on trying but it’s not a simple pan. There is a chance I could go from the other drain plug but I won’t be sure until I try. The dipstick tube is unlikely.
IMG_2222.jpeg

Here’s a pic. Dipstick tube there wouldn’t be any way to turn it and then the drain plug is a maybe, I will certainly try. I’d just have to get up and over the other side.

Thanks for making me feel better on the no drill decision.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
The dipstick is the most obvious for most cars but you can also pull off a valve cover and go through the oil drain backs in the front and rear of the heads to get to the front and rear sump.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
The dipstick is the most obvious for most cars but you can also pull off a valve cover and go through the oil drain backs in the front and rear of the heads to get to the front and rear sump.
I love that idea and will do that if the first method doesn’t work, thanks for the ideas!!!

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
I had a Moroso pan on my 408. It had two drain plugs. I honestly just did not use the front one. Correct or not that is what I did. But I did not keep the engine long so no long time report .

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
I had a Moroso pan on my 408. It had two drain plugs. I honestly just did not use the front one. Correct or not that is what I did. But I did not keep the engine long so no long time report .
Thanks, I thought about that as well....with that much oil (total) and not very much up front, it's probably unnecessary to drain it every time. I will want to drain the first batch of break in oil and then at least the next of regular oil but was thinking I'd go every other after that or something. Thanks!