• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

onX Offroad GPS app?

thiswildbronco

There is currently a 30% discount for this app, and I'd like to know if anyone has experiences to relate, positive or negative. I searched the forums but found no mentions. I would imagine that if this is a useful off-road app that it would have penetrated our user base.

https://www.onxmaps.com/offroad/app

I'd love to know if anyone has experience with this and whether they'd recommend it.

Thanks🙏🏼❗😎

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
Search onxmaps reviews on YouTube. I see that there are a few reviews but I have not watched any yet.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I love it. When your set up, you can see exactly where you are, even when out of cell service. It also tells you who owns the property you're on and gives you a satellite view of the area.

msmith

Don't know about the offroad, but I use the onX Hunt and really like it. I pay, I think, about $30/year. Looks like the Offroad is $99 but if you only use it once or twice a year it would probably be worth it. It looks a lot like the Hunt version but with trails and more info.

BUCKWILD

Loc.
Butte county
I use Gala gps $30 a year. works with no cell signal and I like it alot. I will look into ONEX to check it out

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Watching to see what others are using. I’ve been using back country navigator for a few years. It works great off-road but does not do point to point directions, and to work offline everything has to be downloaded beforehand. I’ve started playing with All Trails but I’m not real impressed, subscribe to it mostly for the GPX tracks. My next one to try is Gaia (sp?) maps. Know a few using it and they like it and I recently had to set up an account to get the GPX files for a recent trip on private land

Eoth

Bronco Guru
Very interesting.... Good price and even free trial... Just wish they let you see their trail library before pulling the trigger.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I haven’t tried their app, but they do have a cool add campaign!

Mark

Attachments

• FA6DBE79-A595-4EA5-8775-056682D0F7F0.jpg
    FA6DBE79-A595-4EA5-8775-056682D0F7F0.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 51

CowboyGrin

Contributor
the circus looks like fun
Loc.
Oklahoma
Last I checked, onX doesn't support CarPlay/Android Auto while Gaia Trail Maps does. If you don't want a bigger screen on the dash while using your phone gps, then either is an option.

Last edited:

68Broncoz

Contributor
I use OnX maps for hunting and it is very good. Also, you can download maps if you are out of cell service. I would expect Onx offroad to be similar.

Chris

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
I used OnX a few times and paid for the service. The one time I was out of cell range though it did not properly track my route so I never used it again.

BackCountry GPS worked pretty good. Gaia as well

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The OnX app has to have out of cell service area satellite maps loaded before going there. It takes strong data availability to generate a map. It's obvious when you leave cities/interstates that the reduced data makes the map creation very slow. I think it puts about a 10 mi. radius into the memory. In Az. the state is divided into hunting units that OnX can create a satellite map of. The satellite map then records your route. It's all about the data. The prices for all this was confusing last elk hunt I drew a tag for.