• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

One part of our hobby that sickens me

Bronco4x4

It’s all about money. These people don’t care and just want to make a fast buck.

ngsd

Bronco Guru
I remember when I was building my 66 and got grief for cutting it. The funny thing was that I put it all back together with Taiwan metal and then I modified it but people were telling me to leave it stock. I just found it amusing. They can always be put back to stock looking but never back to original. If it truly is original I agree. that is why I am not modifying my 71.

sccritterkiller

Loc.
South Cack
I agree that you shouldn't cut up a survivor. Problem is folks don't wanna invest the resources needed to do a proper restomod. It will never be worth what you have in it and a quality build no matter the vehicle takes time. In today's immediate gratification society nobody with money burning a hole in their pocket is going to wait. There will always be someone that can profit off of that. So you end up with what happened in this thread. I am by no means attempting to justify.

I will say I will never tell someone they shouldn't make safety upgrades. Power disc brakes, better headlights, seat belts are easily to put back to original if one chooses. I restored my Jeep back as much as I could. It does have disc breaks and LED headlights. Kept the carb but ditched the Carter vacuum assisted POS and went with a weber 38.

I spent 2hrs pressure washing chicken shit off my Bronco after I dug it out of junk pile on farm in the middle of nowhere WV. My wife though I had lost it when I brought it home..lol Why? I wanted a daily driver to enjoy. That's means FI, disc brakes, ect.. I have driven original 60s and 70s vehicles they scare me to death. Especially on the freeway during rush hour...I will also add my Bronco is 3 yrs older than me.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Saw on Phantomworks car show today, they bought a late 60's Camaro to restomod to the new owners wants. Started out with sandblasting body to bare metal.

It was an original 1 of 1 factory built Indy 500 pace car with the indy pace car paintjob still on the doors.

Not my circus, not my monkey:)

mustanggarage

Contributor
the thing is at the end of the day, they are cars/trucks. they are just like every other classic vehicle an expression of the owner. that is why there are so many options on cars. to make them what you want them to be. Museum pieces are great to be able to see what the vehicle was like back when it was new. but like I said back in the early 80's when I started restomodding my 65 mustang before restomod was even a word. Henry Ford built a good car at the time, but I can do better now. I have zero interest in keeping my vehicles stock. I enjoy building them to suit me. my license plate on my mustang says 65MYWAY. and I just got my personalized plates for the Bronco 71MYWAY. I build the truck to be what I want it to be. no apology's you want a museum piece? fine, buy or build one, I have no interest in that for me building and modifying the vehicle to suit me is what I love to do. if someone wants to buy a vehicle customized to them, not my cup of tea, but I am not going to judge. The american love affair with the automobile was never about stock from the factory cars. build it how you want it. there are lots of museum pieces out there already.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
there are lots of museum pieces out there already.

They are disappearing and there will never be more. I can see taking one that has already been modified, or is a rust bucket and “making it your own” but I don’t understand how people cannot appreciate an unmolested original, or a meticulous restoration, and leave it alone...

mustanggarage

Contributor
I can appreciate it when someone else owns it. Personally I would never buy a vehicle like that because I know I will want to modify it. But regardless if it’s mine I’m gonna make it what I want. It is just happy coincidence that vehicles nobody cares about modifying are cheaper and easier to come by.

charlie6976

Loc.
Grand Coulee WA
In 5 seconds reading your post it shows that you totally missed the entire point, along with me saying I didn’t need a lecture on it being theirs to do what they want with. Yes, I have modified Broncos. I also have bone stock Broncos. I’m sure as heck not going to turn one of my bone stock originals into a modified by butchering it.

It’s even more dumb to do that to one that has been lovingly restored to new original condition such as this one. It had tons of NOS parts and a countless number of restored original pieces.

FYI my gallery hasn’t been updated in years.

Just curious as to what year it became 'dumb' to 'do that' to stock Broncos? Seems like everyone . including yourself enjoys the hell out of a modified/cut Bronco. The venders sell replacement panels, so they can be 'stock' again. Hope everyone gets ove4r their " sickens me'.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ff/3d/5e/ff3d5ec33acd58eb705c5b775bf75030.jpg
https://assets.hemmings.com/story_image/127235-500-0@2x.jpg?rev=1
It's all about supply and demand. :cool: And this site has had a big part in making the EB popular and 'wanted'. :eek: Modifying and off road racing helped in making the EB popular, also.

Now then, I wonder if your sickened when you see your cut Bronco. Or do you like it cut. Are you pissed at the guy that cut it? Or, it was ok 'back then' but not now?

Hope anyone afflicted by this 'sickness' can find some relief, somehow.
This has been an opinion. :eek:

mustanggarage

Contributor
I've gotta admit, even I am not a fan of that sort of thing.

Just curious as to what year it became 'dumb' to 'do that' to stock Broncos? Seems like everyone . including yourself enjoys the hell out of a modified/cut Bronco. The venders sell replacement panels, so they can be 'stock' again. Hope everyone gets ove4r their " sickens me'.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ff/3d/5e/ff3d5ec33acd58eb705c5b775bf75030.jpg
https://assets.hemmings.com/story_image/127235-500-0@2x.jpg?rev=1
It's all about supply and demand. :cool: And this site has had a big part in making the EB popular and 'wanted'. :eek: Modifying and off road racing helped in making the EB popular, also.

Now then, I wonder if your sickened when you see your cut Bronco. Or do you like it cut. Are you pissed at the guy that cut it? Or, it was ok 'back then' but not now?

Hope anyone afflicted by this 'sickness' can find some relief, somehow.
This has been an opinion. :eek:

the thing is people get one thing in their mind and get stuck in that rut. I am a huge fan of modifying my own vehicles. I think that is most of the fun. and what I do to my own vehicle is no ones business but mine, if you like it I'm happy to talk about it, if you don't, kindly keep your opinion to yourself. I love suggestions and advice, criticism of my taste in mods, not so much.

having said that, what I got from this, and what I don't get is companies like maxlider going out, buying rare originals spending up to 150,000 on them and then turning them into one off customs. why not just buy a frame and a reproduction body for 20,000 and build a one off custom, it seems that would be way more cost effective. but to each their own I guess.

charlie6976

Loc.
Grand Coulee WA
These 'companies' have customers with deep pockets. That's what drives it. That is an ugly side to all those reviving an original. I hope the pride in 'your own build' will over shadow the 'sickens me' part. ;)
Happy 'building' EB lovers! :)

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
the thing is people get one thing in their mind and get stuck in that rut. I am a huge fan of modifying my own vehicles. I think that is most of the fun. and what I do to my own vehicle is no ones business but mine, if you like it I'm happy to talk about it, if you don't, kindly keep your opinion to yourself. I love suggestions and advice, criticism of my taste in mods, not so much.

having said that, what I got from this, and what I don't get is companies like maxlider going out, buying rare originals spending up to 150,000 on them and then turning them into one off customs. why not just buy a frame and a reproduction body for 20,000 and build a one off custom, it seems that would be way more cost effective. but to each their own I guess.

Yes sir, that is the whole point of this thread. We're not just talking about cutting the fenders on a 73' barn find, base model with a locked up 6cyl and no rear seat.