• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

One part of our hobby that sickens me

West Tn Dawg

BULLDOG
Loc.
Kenton
I'm with ya 100% Todd. It makes me ill as well when I hear of these. I had an extremely correct early 66 that I sold a couple years ago. I spoke to up wards of 25 people about buying my truck. Had it actually sold to one Man and his Wife. I overheard them talking, and she said we can make it like his. Talking about my resto-mod 74. I immediately walked over and told them it was no longer for sale. Needless to say they were very upset with me. I didn't care. She said well what if I tell you we won't cut-it up? I said, no mam, I wouldn't sleep at night. It's not for sale. My wife made the comment that I sounded like I was interviewing people to adopt a child. I said in a way I am. I had discussions with the guy that bought it for over two weeks before he convinced me it was going to a good home.

bronco1017

When I bought my current Bronco 10 years ago I looked at a very nice uncut half cab and didn't buy it because I didn't want to ruin it making it my Bronco. Of course in hind sight I wish I bought that one too.

bcmbcmbcm

Loc.
Wellington Fl
Ok I think I have it but let me make sure I understand the timeline.

1. A Bronco enthusiast (and member of this board) discovers a 66 barn find to be in surprisingly good shape.
2. Bronco is restored with impeccable attention to detail, nut, bolt, markings, securing wires, using care, money, time, and impossible to find NOS parts.
3. Bronco is sold somewhere to another collector
4. Collector loses interest and sends to Mecum
5. Classic Ford Broncos buys for approx $71k hoping for a quick flip
6. Classic Ford Broncos lists for $115 k hoping to make $40k ish
7. Classic Ford Broncos fails to make the quick flip, and marks this Bronco as 'SOLD' to garner up interest
8. Classic Ford Bronco cuts fenders, lifts it, adds vendor catalog parts (such as seats, power brakes, wheels, etc), and nice upholstery, hoping to get cash out with a reduced profit expectation. (maybe they spent $5k?)
9. Classic Ford Broncos lists THE SAME Bronco now cut and marginalized for the same price, hoping to get the cash out now plus maybe $25-$35k.

Do I have this right? Maybe they are thinking someone cant ante up the $200k for one of their coyote builds but would be happy to spend $125 k for this one to go to the ice cream store this summer?

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru

1. A Bronco enthusiast (and member of this board) discovers a 66 barn find to be in surprisingly good shape.
2. Bronco is restored with impeccable attention to detail, nut, bolt, markings, securing wires, using care, money, time, and impossible to find NOS parts.
7. Classic Ford Broncos fails to make the quick flip, and marks this Bronco as 'SOLD' to garner up interest
8. Classic Ford Bronco cuts fenders, lifts it, adds vendor catalog parts (such as seats, power brakes, wheels, etc), and nice upholstery, hoping to get cash out with a reduced profit expectation. (maybe they spent $5k?)
9. Classic Ford Broncos lists THE SAME Bronco now cut and marginalized for the same price, hoping to get the cash out now plus maybe $25-$35k.

Do I have this right? Maybe they are thinking someone cant ante up the $200k for one of their coyote builds but would be happy to spend $125 k for this one to go to the ice cream store this summer?

That's a pretty good summary of what seemed to happen. Capitalism with a Bronco as a medium... A beloved Bronco too...

eaglenest66

Contributor
Bronco Guru

You are good and pegged it!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
So they took a cool $71k Bronco, added about $5k in stuff
And are now trying to sell a $45k Bronco for $125k?

With luck this might bankrupt them.

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
I hate to see a solid pure one get molested. There are a lot of them out there that a great candidates to go that kind of direction.

dougsride

I got a chance to get a 73 ranger that had been in storage for 7 years this last fall. It was used for off roading and pretty much beat to crap. Sad. But hardly any rust. So here I am doing a frame off but not a perfect restoration, just done right. I want a daily driver. I am 58 and want to return back to the first bronco I bought in my early years. I say that to say this: after all the work and time I will put in this rig I will hate to sell it for this very reason. It would be like building a custom log cabin and selling it only to have some arse hole brick it up.

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
I got a chance to get a 73 ranger that had been in storage for 7 years this last fall. It was used for off roading and pretty much beat to crap. Sad. But hardly any rust. So here I am doing a frame off but not a perfect restoration, just done right. I want a daily driver. I am 58 and want to return back to the first bronco I bought in my early years. I say that to say this: after all the work and time I will put in this rig I will hate to sell it for this very reason. It would be like building a custom log cabin and selling it only to have some arse hole brick it up.

Nope, these guys would put stucco on it

sburks737

I get the hate (and fully support it) against cutting up and moding a nice survivor but whats with all this against Brittany Blue?? I think that color is awesome!
And I may be.... but dont think Im a yuppie!

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
I get the hate (and fully support it) against cutting up and moding a nice survivor but whats with all this against Brittany Blue?? I think that color is awesome!
And I may be.... but dont think Im a yuppie!

Its a nice color, but seems like EVERY one of these Bronco shops builds a dozen or more in Brittany Blue. Its just way overused to me.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Like Orange was a few years ago. Then Bahama/Grabber Blue.

I'm not against modifying older cars or trucks either. But I'm regularly incensed that the car shows I like are cutting up previously perfect survivors too. Why not take one that's not quite so pristine and then make it custom?
They do a fantastic job, like when Engine Power did a custom '74 (ish?) Camaro. It was a cool outcome, but started with an absolutely pristine survivor driven by the famous "little old lady" if I remember. Was in truly amazing original condition and someone normal would have think they'd died and gone to heaven to have found that and kept it in it's original shape.
Now it's an amazing custom, but what a waste or original!

And I've seen this done to several cars now, by different crews. You'd think with all the available cars to work with, they would not mind paying less for something less perfect to start with.
I get the argument about it being easier to work on (saving production time no doubt) but not every imperfect car is a total rust bucket. Still quite a few very decent survivors out there that are not show quality to start with like that Camaro.

that is where wild Horses MOAB brake system mounts the proportioning valve.

Thanks for mentioning it. But while it's a similar concept, it's not quite the same thankfully. That one works too, but it sure takes up a lot of real estate under the hood!
We use the adjustable prop valve mounted to the side using brackets similar to these: https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/Bronco-Proportioning-Valve
Not a pre-set type mounted out front like shown in the other post.

Here's our MOAB setup wit vacuum booster: https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/MOAB-Vacuum-Boost-Power-Brake-System/Bronco_Power_Brakes
I think it's a lot cleaner personally.

Sorry to turn this thread into a product info release. Just wanted to clear up a little detail while I had the chance!

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Its a nice color, but seems like EVERY one of these Bronco shops builds a dozen or more in Brittany Blue. Its just way overused to me.

good point.. there does seem to be quite a few

sburks737

Hopefully these "high end" shops will jump on another color soon. Its crazy how fads come on so quickly.

CO-Bronco69

Loc.
Basalt, CO
Hi, I'm belatedly checking out this thread. What caught my eye is the picture of the white U15 in the original post. Is that a wagon delivery model with a front bench seat? I have a 1969 delivery model that I am restoring and would love to talk. My phone number is 970-948-0960. I'm trying to decide on which direction to go for the interior flooring.