• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New guy with a '74 Bronco

twodogs

Hi all. I thought I would introduce myself and more importantly, my new project. I recently sold my '75 Bronco (cut fender wells and more rust than my skills could handle) after I acquired an uncut '74 Bronco with a 200 ci, inline six engine. I am the third owner, having bought it from the original owner's son after his father passed away. It has 108,000 miles on the original engine that has not been rebuilt. It would barely run when I bought it, and I could see the vacuum lines were cracked, as well as not even hooked up appropriately. It hadn't been driven much at all since 2000. The original candy apple red paint was pretty oxidized so I spent several days bringing that back. It now has the shine of a new paint job.

So far my work has involved the following: flushed the radiator, new coolant hoses, new vacuum lines, rebuilt the Carter YFA carb, converted the front drum brakes to disc, new tires, fresh oil and filter, replaced trans case fluids, new rear gas tank, and a number of other miscellaneous things. It runs very well now, but I plan to install a Pertronix ignitor and flamethrower, for a little more improvement. I had toyed with other electronic ignitions but settled on the less expensive, and easier to install product.

Below are a few pics, starting with how it looked when I picked it up. Although the paint has some nicks and scratches in it, I plan to keep it with the original paint. Other than seeking some performance and fuel economy improvements, I'll likely keep it just as it looks today. I will need to cut out a small part of the driver's floor pan, and I've been in touch many times with stevew on this site (as well as Big Sky Broncos). When I say I will need to do the floor pan, I mean Steve; I've seen his work and I can't come close to it!

As for myself, I am a fairly young retiree in Montana. I spend a lot of my time fishing, hunting, hiking, skiing, and most any other recreation activity that will take me outside. I also seem to occupy a portion of my time buying Bronco parts from stevew and grinch on this site ;D. They are great local guys that I met through here. I am on a fairly steep learning curve when it comes to engine work, but I have a decent amount of experience of tinkering/rebuilding things. Looking forward to learning, and with a little luck, I may even be able to contribute on occasion. Thanks to all of you for the willing wisdom you impart!

Brent

Attachments

• IMG_4078.jpg
    IMG_4078.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_4599.jpg
    IMG_4599.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_4598.jpg
    IMG_4598.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_4596.jpg
    IMG_4596.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 166

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
Brent, that looks great! Amazing what a little effort can produce. I like your decision to keep it as original as possible while improving safety. You have a couple of good references close by. Little bit of a drive for me.

Welcome.

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Welcome! You've got that old Bronco looking good.

Norm

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Brent you should change your name from twodogs to Luckydawg, nice find!

I don't remember when they started using Duraspark, seems like right around 73-74? not sure but since you're looking at "less expensive, easier to install" well it don't get no less expensive or easier to install AND it's a proven Ford product...unless you already have it, again not sure. If not I would consider it. Enjoy that Bronco -Jeff

stevew

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Elliston Montana
I'll add , Brent's Bronco is amazing . In person it looks as good as the pics show it . Yeah some scratches & dings but as a professional painter I agree with Brent , leave it as is ! It's an incredible find and I'm privileged to have a part in it . What blows me away is 2 other basically one owner Bronco's have appeared in Montana this year , one of which I did a body off restore on ... which hadn't fared so well as Brent's .

No Hay

Bronco Guru
Brent you should change your name from twodogs to Luckydawg, nice find! Enjoy that Bronco -Jeff

Ditto! Looks great!

Enjoy all those outdoor activities in retirement, it's not all rebuilding vehicles. Take a ski run for me in Montana. Now retired in Tucson, I'm having withdrawals not getting my week at Whistler/Blackcomb every year. Hmmm....

Kevin

Grinch

Not to mention that Brent waited and watched this Bronco for over a year and got a screaming deal on it.....I won't spoil it saying what he paid but it shows patience pays off. ;)

I'll be in touch, Brent, when I'm back in MT. I may have found a remote mirror in my wanderings if you've not finished that fixer upper one you have ;D

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Welcome aboard Brent... Very nice rig you got there.....

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Welcome! Congrats on the Bronco as well! That looks great, you did awesome bringing that paint back to life.

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Brent! Welcome to ClassicBroncos.com!....being a 'new guy'. Wow! Your Bronco is amazing! Thanks for posting up some pictures and your welcome to post more! We like pictures! It looks like you may have changed bumpers, headlight rings, and added some trim to the taillights and sidemarker lights?

OP
OP
T

twodogs

Thanks everyone! It has been a fun process for the most part. With this rig, I don't have the worry about repairing a bunch of rust, and I can usually figure out engine/electrical/drivetrain issues given enough time. It has also really helped having my local resources in stevew and Grinch. By the way Mark, I was able to rebuild the remote mirror to working order and it's now installed on my rig. Rebuilding the mechanisms on a remote mirror is entirely an exercise in patience!

Here are a few more pics of the rig when I bought it. That white pipe going up the backside of the Bronco (shown in the pic of me towing it) is a continuation of the tailpipe. The original owner did that when he started noticing exhaust fumes inside. I replaced the entire exhaust and it works just as it should. You can also see the owner extended the front bumper in order to mount a winch. The rear bumper was a behemoth, and I replaced both of them with new chromes one. I was already in possession of the chrome headlight rings, as well as the marker light and taillight bezels, so I went ahead and added them as well.

As for the paint, to my eyes it looked pretty rough and I honestly had no idea what I could do with it. With a lot of patience, I was able to remove the latex paint addition on the back. It now shows the original Wimbledon white FORD lettering. I searched all over the place and ended up finding this post about restoring single stage paints: https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-to-articles-by-mike-phillips/25304-secret-removing-oxidation-restoring-show-car-finish-antique-single-stage-paints.html. I pretty much followed them to a "t". I was absolutely astonished with the results! I had never heard of using a clay bar to remove contaminants from the paint, and even the process seemed questionable until I got far enough along. The upkeep of it has been quite simple. More to come, I'm sure....

Attachments

• IMG_4694.jpg
    IMG_4694.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4691.jpg
    IMG_4691.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4692.jpg
    IMG_4692.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4336.jpg
    IMG_4336.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4075.jpg
    IMG_4075.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4079.jpg
    IMG_4079.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 23
  • P1030368.jpg
    P1030368.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4698.jpg
    IMG_4698.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 23

Seventee

Contributor
Loc.
In the sticks of MT
Nice, old school plates too!

I am in your neck of the woods. Haven't seen your Bronco around yet but I am sure I will if you are out and about.