• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need help with Military Bronco Paint

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Why does it become a bezel when it’s on a Chevy?

And I can see it on posi, I suppose. But only if it is the same unit?
Is it the same thing that GM has always called posi-traction, and that Ford has always called something else? Just that they are in Dana axles?
Or are they different designs?
If the one in the front Dana 44 is a different design from a Chevy posi-traction, the no, you don’t call it a posi.

Never even thought about them in a 44, but I suppose that’s what it would’ve been in the back of a Corvette. I always equated them with the GM 10 and 12 bolts, but that’s just a general vagueness in my mind on my part.

OP
OP
J

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Why does it become a bezel when it’s on a Chevy?

And I can see it on posi, I suppose. But only if it is the same unit?
Is it the same thing that GM has always called posi-traction, and that Ford has always called something else? Just that they are in Dana axles?
Or are they different designs?
If the one in the front Dana 44 is a different design from a Chevy posi-traction, the no, you don’t call it a posi.

Never even thought about them in a 44, but I suppose that’s what it would’ve been in the back of a Corvette. I always equated them with the GM 10 and 12 bolts, but that’s just a general vagueness in my mind on my part.
Because Chevy calls their headlight doors a "bezel." You can see the name Bezel in the pic for a Chevy headlight bezel. But Ford calls that part a Door.

Yes, the Dana Spicer Trac Lok in the 80-82 Corvette Dana 44 is identical to the trac lok in the front of an F150 Dana 44 TTB. I only use the TTB example, because of the c-clip axle retainer. There are various types of factory limited slip carrier designs. It is usually applied to the Corp 10 and 12 bolt. But it is also marketed as the GM Posi in the Corvette. And the Corvette uses the D44 rear IFS with c-clip.

The same paradigm is broken with the Mopar Sure Grip. When A sure-grip is place in the Mopar 8-3/4, it is unique to Mopar. But when installed in the Dana 60, it is the same as the Power Lock in the Dana 60 in the Ford. And also in the GM 3/4 ton pickups with Dana 60. (but not branded "posi.")

So now when someone says that they have a "posi" in their 9 inch, I say "whatever..."

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga
OP
OP
J

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
https://broncotuned.com/blogs/history-ford-bronco/the-classic-bronco-had-small-but-important-role-in-winning-the-cold-war#:~:text=Ford developed a military version,sent to Vietnam and Europe.

While this doesn't help James in his quest, I'm still looking for the info he needs. I stumbled across this on the interwebs, not sure if its been identified here before, so I'm posting the link. Pretty cool for the Bronco history buffs... If its already on here, my apologies...
Thanks for the post! It is interesting to see in the very last picture...that the rear bumper was not equipped with the pintle hook. All of the Military Broncos that I have seen have had the rear pintle provision.

So it is possible that the front bumper was moved to the rear during the installation of the winch up front. And I am now in doubt that the large combination grill guard / bumper was standard equipment. But I don't know.

So I am still baffled as to the correct color of the front bumper on a USAF Bronco. Other vehicles of the period seem to have a light colored or argent bumper. Jeeps and the M151 had body colored bumpers. Any help or opinions would be welcome.

I am confident that the door wing window exterior paint was black, just like a normal (non-sport) Bronco. So I'm down to the attaching hardware for the mirrors, pintle, bumper bolt and light guards...and the front bumper color.

Also now confused about the "factory" soft top. My AF Bronco was equipped with hard doors, and windows. No provision for a hardtop, and no hardtop holes in the bed rail. But there is a small window Bestop with snaps on it. And I have heard of the Whitco top. But was that Whitco top installed at the factory, and if so...does it incorporate a windshield riser? Or was it sold with the Whitco top "included" but installed at pre-delivery? Or was it sold with nothing? Looking for ANY input.

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga
So from what I gathered from the article, at least some of these were delivered prior to official production. I didn't do the legwork to see if the contract listed on the website is the same as the initial Gov't order. And the ones in this article were for what looks like semi-covert operations, so if they put a pintle hook on it, it would scream military, so maybe that is why they didn't have pintle hooks, they weren't purchased to pull anything. Obviously I'm just spit balling at this part.

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga
Unfortunately I didn't save the link, but yesterday I saw a website that said some of the early military Broncos had a square boxy-type hard top, not similar to a factory one. Can't find the website now, though. I'll keep looking...... It was like a forum, people talking about their experiences with EB's in the military.

OP
OP
J

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
For the record though, that Bronco was repainted. I’m fairly certain that it’s not 100% correct although I agree it looks better with black accents. Also, the wheels on the Army Broncos were green. Not sure on AF.

I definitely would love some detail pics of yours when you get a chance. I remember the pics of when it was for sale, but didn’t get any specific pics.
For your viewing pleasure. I got my Bronco back from the media blaster today. I can confirm that my rear tail light panels were never drilled for reflectors. But the Marti report does indicate that It was ordered. I'll have to decide which I like better.

Usually people complain about the condition of their Bronco Body after media blast. I'm going to complain now as well. There are three small holes (1/8 diameter) drilled in my Bronco Floor that need attention. There are also the 7+8 holes in the floor to drain the ribs per the TSB. I suppose I should leave those. I keep trying to find rust, but there just isn't any.

Also a few holes in the front bumper. The pics I've seen show the bumper without holes. I guess I need to fire up the welder.

Attachments

• IMG_0479.jpeg
    IMG_0479.jpeg
    172.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0480.jpeg
    IMG_0480.jpeg
    148.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0481.jpeg
    IMG_0481.jpeg
    197.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0482.jpeg
    IMG_0482.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0483.jpeg
    IMG_0483.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0484.jpeg
    IMG_0484.jpeg
    223.5 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
J

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
So I’ve never been able to fully investigate an Air Force one, but I can tell you what I know based on the pics and info I’ve gathered.

1. Dash is Light Parchment like a standard Bronco
2. Back side of the grill should be blue
3. Door panels are Light Parchment like the dash
4. Ford script will be blue along with the body
5. Rear bumper will be blue
6. If by headlight doors you mean the rings, those are blue
7. These are all debatable for an AF Bronco and I’m not aware of any complete enough to verify. Mirrors, mirror heads, and headlight guards on an Army issue would be green, so I assume AF was blue. I can’t confirm this 100%.

As for the reflectors, there should be two!
Can confirm, this grill was a single layer of AF Blue, over a red oxide layer. The only remaining original section is under the headlight clip, but definite. Thanks!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0487.jpeg
    IMG_0487.jpeg
    181.8 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
J

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Did "Snowball" melt?
Yes, Snowball has gone to a new home just South of you. Sold to another firefighter. In a strange coincidence, I picked up my new project “Boxwood” in Morgan Hill. So now I have another rust free 1969 U15 with its CA Black plates ready for restoration. Recipe will be the same. 5.0 Sefi, nv4500, atlas, d60/d44 with ARB’s. Will be my first with Hydroboost. Which is mostly your fault.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Progress update on the paint. I did find the reflector holes on both sides after media blast. the screws were cut off flush with the body, and were invisible from the outside. But the inside still had the screw tip seized into the petaled sheet metal. So I know exactly where the reflectors go.

Also decided to re-install the inside tailgate spare.

There's a lot of blue.

Attachments

• IMG_0641.jpeg
    IMG_0641.jpeg
    187.3 KB · Views: 30

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga
Off we go into the wild blue yonder,
Climbing high into the sun;
Here they come zooming to meet our thunder,
At ‘em now, Give 'em the gun! give em the gun!
Down we dive, spouting our flame from under,
Off with one helluva roar!
We live in fame or go down in flame. Hey!
Nothing'll stop the U.S. Air Force!

Brilliant minds fashioned a crate of thunder,
Sent it high into the blue;
Valiant hands blasted the world asunder;
How they lived God only knew!
Boundless souls dreaming of skies to conquer
Gave us wings, ever to soar!
With scouts before and bombers galore. Hey!
Nothing'll stop the U.S. Air Force!

Here's a toast to the host
Of those who love the vastness of the sky,
To a friend we send a message of the brave who serve on high.
We drink to those who gave their all of old
Then down we roar to score the rainbow's pot of gold.
A toast to the host of those we boast, the U.S. Air Force!

Off we go into the wild sky yonder,
Keep the wings level and true;
If you'd live to be a grey-haired wonder
Keep the nose out of the blue!
Fly to fight, guarding the nation's border,
We'll be there, followed by more!
In echelon we carry on.
Oh, nothing'll stop the U.S. Air Force!

OP
OP
J

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
OK, time for another question! This is pertaining to any 1967 Ford Bronco. I have figured out my rear reflectors, and I am working on the front. According to several vendors, the C7TZ-13380-D is an Amber reflector that is supposed to be correct for the 67-69 Bronco. I have looked at many pictures, and I cannot see where this reflector would have been located on a 67. Can anyone with a 67 Bronco post a pic of the front Amber reflector? (I'm not talking about a retrofit fender marker light from a 1970+) Thanks!

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I didn't think the '66-67 had side reflectors. My '67 doesn't anyway and my Ford shop manual doesn't show any either. Or did I misinterpret your question?

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I thought i had two pics saved of those but I guess not, just saw one on FB the other day with them and had the Marti Report listing them. They're above and outside the FORD iirc. @broncojack will have a pic or two I'm sure.