• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need advice pulling a junkyard Explorer motor.

hammer189

Loc.
South Atlanta
Found a 1996 5.0 with 245K and a 2000 5.0 with 251K at a local pullapart today.
All things being equal which engine would you choose?
Both motors are complete. Quick check on 1996. oil in pan, no bad smell. Engine rotated with a wrench. Didn't have time to check 2000 engine.
Read EFI guys write up on getting the harness.
Any advice on problems/shortcuts for pulling the motor?
Exhaust is already cut behind manifolds. Probems disconnecting from trans?
I'll be doing this myself in 1 day, I hope.
Thanks for you advice.
David
P.S I'm going to grab everything I can. ALT. P.S pump, harness, front dress. etc. Anything guys generally forget?

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
With 250K on the clock I'd figure your looking at a full rebuild regardless of what you grab. At that point I'd look seriously at what you want? If your mill is good and you want efi, or you want a 351 I'd go to the 96' pull everything down the to heads and leave the short block.

I hope the price is good for that kind of mileage?

hucklburry rev2

I think the biggest difference, at least for the engine itself, is one has GT40 heads that take normal bronco headers, and the 2000 will have GT40P heads, which have the angled spark plug and require a little different header for the most part, but probably a marginally better head.

So if you have headers, the 96 engine would save you some trouble or buying new ones, if your going to buy headers, the 2000 would be the slightly better heads.

I pulled one in just a couple hours, they didn't charge me any extra leaving the torq converter on (it was cold). The one thing I recall was I could lift it out easier by pulling the fan off the front, it would hit the core support. I got it complete with all accessories for like $235 at our upullit.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Why are they at the yard? If the body is reasonably straight they are probably there because the drivetrain has failed. If it is wrecked, it was running when parked. Take the engine from the wrecked one.

OK, so they are both comparable, which would I take? The '96. The GT40 (none P) heads fit more exhaust options easier. The internal EGR can be retained (better gas mileage) easier. Modern computer controlled EGR is seamless in operation if working right, light years above the primitive systems used in the carbureted days.

ren71

And the 96 electrical won't require an ecu flash. you can run it as is without extra work

Broncobowsher

Total hack
And the 96 electrical won't require an ecu flash. you can run it as is without extra work

The '96 is still OBD-II with all the extra post cat O2 sensors and evaporative emissions self tests. Really no different than the '00. The lack of PATS is about the only electrical advantage I can think of on the '96.

And if you wanted the automatic, the '00 transmission is better.

OP
OP
hammer189

hammer189

Loc.
South Atlanta
Sorry I didn't post my old engine info and future plans.
Best I can tell my origional 302 is a '78 Jasper type engine that sat outside for over 8 years. 7 cylinders look good. #8's vale was obviously open and the cylinder has a lot of rust. Since it needs a cleanup/rebuild I just figured I'd start with a roller block with EFI and go from there. The full engine with accessories and front explorer dress is about $225-250 at the junkyard.
Neither truck is wrecked so I can't choose that way.
I'm seriously considering a 347 build with a nv3550, going to be mostly street.
If the block is bad the rest of the stuff is still a decent deal if I get the '96 with the GT 40 heads.
Going to go back on Sat and dig deeper with more tools/time and then bring one home on Sunday.
We've got lots of Explorers around here but they are mostly V6 motors.
Thanks for the comments. David

Last edited:

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
/\/\ +1 Good advice there. /\/\

Also get yourself an OBD2 code reader and pull the codes before you buy.