• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need advice on J-shifter replacement or replace with twin shift (73 C4 auto)

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
So what’s the advantages of the twin shifter?
In addition to being able to choose options not available with the stock shifter, they're easier to shift.

From the WH website:
"Dana 20 Twin Stick Shifters We get calls all the time about the Dana 20 being "hard to shift". After shifting hundreds of these T cases ourselves we would say it can take some finesse to shift the Dana 20. You can make it easier with the installation of a twin stick shifter. The twin sticks allow for shifting one rail at a time (front or rear) whereas the original shifters have both rails connected together, making it harder to shift"

Z Bronco

Bronco Guru
I made a cover out of sheet metal to cover an existing hole, fairly easy to do, everything looks like it came from the factory.

OP
OP
WPS 73 Bronco

WPS 73 Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
The Woodlands, Tx
I'm leaning towards the JB shifter. I'm sure they're all good. I'm hoping they will let me swap out/upgrade their shifter boot to upgraded boot.

Timstrk

One of the three OMG upgrades to my truck. Lockers, disc brakes, and the twin stick shifter. JBFab. From Wild Horses. No side tunnel cover needed. Get the twin boot and hold down ring. One bolt installation. Don't look back. Unexpected side benefit: runs cooler in two low than four low. A lot of what I drive is two low do-able and four when needed. Braking by low gear is great, too.

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
It is alot easier to modify the J shift tabs with the xfer case setting on the bench. WAY EASIER. Like pul it out and do it easier. Another vote for JB fab, I like the one I got from them. The J shit can be cantankerous and not reliable to work right, stay in gear when it is worn out. The twin stick makes a j shift Dana 20 much easier to operate in general. I do not have to worry about the size of the hole, I do not even use a boot.

Attachments

• t1.jpeg
    t1.jpeg
    99.2 KB · Views: 16
  • tc5.jpg
    tc5.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 14
  • twin stick 1.png
    twin stick 1.png
    301.3 KB · Views: 13
  • twin stick 2.png
    twin stick 2.png
    231.4 KB · Views: 14
  • twin stick 3.png
    twin stick 3.png
    316.6 KB · Views: 15
  • xfer 1.png
    xfer 1.png
    347.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
C4
351W
I couldn't wait to go with the twin stick.
I ended getting a Tom's Bronco Parts version. It was a very long time ago (decades) but I was pretty sure at that time he was the only one making a stainless steel shifter handle version of a twin stick. The reason for stainless is I knew I would be heating/bending the handles to a position more to my liking and with stainless it wouldn't get messed up like paint or chrome.
Bent mine more straight....out of the way of my right knee...I'm 6'5".

Functionally far superior to a J-Shifter as it is unlikely to ever bind since it is a straight pull on the tc levers.
It allows a front dig, where you set the emergency brake and only engage the front axle while turning allowing you to make a really shar turn. Even better if you have separate emergency brake handles for each side.
If you have a rear locker and are on a side slope it tends to drag you down the slope (not good),...again you can disengage the rear axle just pulling along with the front axle.
While a Dana 20 can be shifted on the fly with some finesse it is not always a good idea obviously but i can often blip the throttle and bump the twin stick in and out of 4x4 high or in and out of the front or rear axle very comfortably compared to the old miserable J-Shifter.
There are other cool things I can't think of right now but you get the idea...I love my twin stick.

Having said all of that, James Duff (Dufftuff.com) reinvented the J-Shifter back in the 70's when Ford's miserable design was still being produced. Duff's J-Shifter is completely different than the factory junk...if you like the single handle then James Duff makes a beautiful reinvented version you'll love. They also have a really trick twin stick version too.