• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My LS3/6L80e Engine Swap…..no haters please.🙏

WPS 73 Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
The Woodlands, Tx
After a lot of evaluating what engine swap I wanted to do, I finally pulled the plug and bought an engine & transmission. I was deciding between a 408, a Godzilla, or the LS swap. Ultimately, I went with the LS, recognizing the push back I’d get from a majority of the Ford guys. I have experience with LS swaps as I did one 10 years ago on my 72 Corvette.

Here’s some pics of the motor and transmission. It’s a built LS with Texas Speed Stage 2 cam, Mahle Forged Pistons, Scat Rods, ARP Head bolts, rod bolts and main studs. The work begins today as I completed my last cruise with the 302/C4 on Friday. I’m sure I’ll be looking for lots of help.

Thanks in advance for the help and support.

Attachments

• IMG_0207.jpeg
    IMG_0207.jpeg
    369.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0206.jpeg
    IMG_0206.jpeg
    243.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0205.jpeg
    IMG_0205.jpeg
    148.1 KB · Views: 58

JKH67302

Contributor
People will have some opinions for sure, but I think it's pretty cool! I did the Explorer swap with the 4R70W in my rig and I love it. Since then I've been more and more intrigued with LS stuff. It's an excellent platform with so much aftermarket support its ridiculous. If I I'd it all over again I would consider it as well. I like a high powered Ford motor in a Ford vehicle like anyone on here does, but I respect and admire the work it takes to swap any late model engine into an old vehicle. I am certainly gonna follow your build. Please post it up!

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Don’t hesitate to ask away. I have a bit of swap experience and even some experience with a virtually identical combination. I’ll see if I can find my long paragraph on what needs to change for it to fit easily, it’s very minimal, I’m just being lazy and don’t want to type it out again😂

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Ok found the last list I sent to another member, so I didn’t have to go find my notes or type a novel. There is some info here that you’ve already decided on but it is still applicable So here ya go :)

Parts list is simple
Sanderson S10 LS swap headers
ICT GM motor mount swap plates
67-72 C10 motor mounts.
LS of your choice
4l60 trans or if feeling up to a bit more challenge, 6r80
Transfer case of your choice.

On the bronco frame motor mount horns cut 1-1/4” v in the top of them and weld in a piece of 1” angle making a step in the top. If you look at the GM motor mount it makes sense. Bolt the motor in and make a crossmember for the tcase. I didn’t figure this out until my second one and once I confirmed it worked I never pulled the engine back out so I didn’t get any pics.

If you have a stock front axle and less than a 3-1/2” lift you will have to make oil pan mods to clear the front diff, you will need a steel pan. If you have a full width front axle it’s all good.

A truck intake needs a cowl hood or a 1” body lift to clear. Car intake clears fine.

Bronco radiator will do the job. Car intake requires an electric fan. Truck intake the stock mechanical fan fits fine.

That’s really all there is mechanically. The wiring is a bit tedious but not overly complicated. And no I won’t do another, it’s not the complication it is the time, I just don’t have it. Been working on the work life balance thing lol.

OP
OP
WPS 73 Bronco

WPS 73 Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
The Woodlands, Tx
Yeller, thanks for the input. Regarding Transfer Case, I’m considering a GM NP241. It’s about 3-4” wider than my Dana 20. I checked clearance with the frame at the same rotation as the D20. It wont fit as it’s too long (wide) and hits the frame. It can be clocked down to solve this problem, but I’m unsure how that will work with the front axle. Any thoughts?

I havre a 2.5” lift and i’m considering adding a 1” body lift.

I like the GM NP because its inexpensive and has a simple cable drive shifter.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Yeller, thanks for the input. Regarding Transfer Case, I’m considering a GM NP241. It’s about 3-4” wider than my Dana 20. I checked clearance with the frame at the same rotation as the D20. It wont fit as it’s too long (wide) and hits the frame. It can be clocked down to solve this problem, but I’m unsure how that will work with the front axle. Any thoughts?

What's the gearing on a np241? Out of curiosity only lol.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma

The NP 241 will cause overall length concerns with the 6l80. The 241 is long, even with a slip yoke eliminator. It’s the same length as a 4 speed atlas and 5” longer than my 2spd atlas. I had a 241 in my bronco originally with a slip yoke eliminator. Not that I’m pushing you to an atlas, just making the comparison. The 241 is probably doable but its length needs to be in consideration from the beginning.
What's the gearing on a np241? Out of curiosity only lol.
2.72, almost too much with a 6spd auto, especially with a warmed up LS3.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WPS 73 Bronco

WPS 73 Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
The Woodlands, Tx
The builder for the 241 has a 1 1/2” shorter slip yoke eliminator. It eliminates the Speedo cable slot. Not sure if he can change the gearing Closer to 3.1.

The atlas is the best solution. Problem is it’s $2k more and the build time is 4-6 months.

Contributor
You could check with behemoth drivetrain as well for one of their transfer cases

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Give us some actual length in inches so we can help you out for packaging.

I've run some pretty long drivetrains w/o a single issue but what length is yours?

I also run a 6r80 but with a 3.0 Atlas. Steve convinced me yrs ago that the super low gearing I was running wasn't really necessary. With the auto it really isn't necessary.

Last edited:

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
@nvrstk is correct, he has run some long drivetrain combos. With some actual measurements he probably has a solution that works.

Nothing wrong with a 241, I’ve run them for years. My personal preference, driving style, wheeling habits etc really requires the ability to have 2wd low front or rear, can’t do that with a 241. It is possible to get 2wd low rear, but it is finicky and hard to get there and keep there, there’s a reason all of the kits for it are dead. As for the gearing, I have noticed negligible difference from 2.72 to 3.0. Both of my current trucks started with a 241 and now have 3.0 atlas’s with no other gearing changes.

As for bohemoth, I think it’s a great unit, but at $1000-1500 more than an atlas, it makes me squeamish inside. Although the 205 option is intriguing. To get 205 plus strength from an atlas you are spending at least that much, as some here can attest.

My apologies, I crawled a good ways off the OP’s path and line of questions. Unless the OP approves please ask questions or discussion in a new thread about my high jacked comments, I just felt they were worth exploring as options for the OP.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The length/width of the transfer case is the biggest issue I am seeing so far. Driveshaft length gets really short which gets into some really ugly driveline angles. Even with short little Dana 20 the rear angles get pretty ugly pretty fast with added driveline length and add in lift it is even worse. Those late model transfer cases are long.

I think you can use a Ford NP205 with a GM input gear. But I am no expert on the GM 6L80 swaps. That will keep the speedo gear and much closer to the short D20/Atlas length. You just don't get that much low range.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
The 205 with a GM input gear works, done that on the last 6l80 I did, just have to cut a notch in the adapter for the shifter. The trans has enough 1st gear the gearing of the 205 isn't really out of line. If I had found an engine/trans combo for my J Truck with a 6L80 it would have a 205 and not an atlas, that math was part of the equation in the budget, but I couldn't turn down a running driving 6.0/4l80 combo for $1200 for the entire vehicle.

OP
OP
WPS 73 Bronco

WPS 73 Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
The Woodlands, Tx
Yeller, I'm good with all of the conversation. The TC is my final decision to go with the overall drivetrain. I don't want to separate the LS3/6L80e since i have the GM ECU and wiring harness. My dilemma is to find the best TC solution without breaking the bank, or losing a lot of project time waiting on a TC to arrive. My Bronco will see 80+% street driving with occasional trail rides but nothing serious.

Here's my priorities, in order.
1a) Easy install with no major fabrication changes
1b) Cable drive shifter (I'm having a custom console built that will include a Lokar SS shifter and the TC shifter)
2) Make a good decision that 6 years from now you won't be second guessing.
3) Cost

I'm trying to do all of this within a budget, and the TC cost will likely blow it. Plus, I don't know squat about 4x4 Broncos other than they are fun to drive. If this was another LS swap corvette, I could answer my own questions.

Please tell me what I should do. BTW, the budget is what I told the boss. If I need to go a bit higher, I just won't tell her. ;)

Last edited:

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
BTW, the budget is what I told the boss. If I need to go a bit higher, I just won't tell her. ;)
My philosophy about that is what she don’t know won’t hurt YOU…as long as she doesn’t find out. My wife knows about $1,300 in parts/body parts; however, in reality it’s closer to $5K. She also has not figured out that I bought a Miller MIG welder.

Randy

okorangebrnco

Bronco Guru
Texas Speed???? Aren't those the cams that cause convertors to go bad from sitting? At least that is what I heard on FaceBook.... 😆

OP
OP
WPS 73 Bronco

WPS 73 Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
The Woodlands, Tx
I did a quick build cost on the AA website and it came out to $3600 including shifter. Not sure I selected all the right options, but for budgeting purposes I think I'm close. If I go the NP241 route, I'm all in for about $2700 including shifter. I'm guessing the atlas is the right way to go. $900 is not much in the big picture.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I did a quick build cost on the AA website and it came out to $3600 including shifter. Not sure I selected all the right options, but for budgeting purposes I think I'm close. If I go the NP241 route, I'm all in for about $2700 including shifter. I'm guessing the atlas is the right way to go. $900 is not much in the big picture.
Thats how I got one in my J Truck. 241 needed $1800 in parts, my time has a cost, so an atlas was an easy choice and what I really wanted anyway.