• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Mint 400 Movie plus Vintage Stroppe Pics

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi Guys,

Some more pics from the '73 Parker 400. Not much from the Stoppe side; but, hopefully still of interest to some of you.

As I was looking closer at the pictures I saw the Manchester Tank decal on the Toyota Land Cruiser (84). The bonnet for the propane under the hood can be seen, too. Now I understand why there are several pictures of it in the collection.

Thanks,

Jeff

Attachments

• PICT0113.jpg
    PICT0113.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 108
  • PICT0114.jpg
    PICT0114.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 118
  • PICT0115.jpg
    PICT0115.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 106
  • PICT0116.jpg
    PICT0116.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 103

Hopstr

Contributor
Thanks for sharing all those photos Jeff. What a great archive of offroad racing. I'm sure we've all enjoyed them as much as you have.

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Happy Weekend!

My favorite time of day... and doing something I really enjoy... sharing more memories.

I hope you all have a great day.

More from the '73 Parker 400. A couple more propane rigs... Ak Miller and Willie.

Jeff

Attachments

• PICT0120.jpg
    PICT0120.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 125
  • PICT0119.jpg
    PICT0119.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 137
  • PICT0118.jpg
    PICT0118.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 114
  • PICT0117.jpg
    PICT0117.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

77Bronco636

Jeff
Thanks again for sharing all this with us! Saturday morning, a cup of coffee, and checking this thread just makes a great start to the day! It will be missed when it's all done!
Paul

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Wow that's the first time I've seen those Stroppe team Bronco graphics . Thanks again and hoping the pictures don't run out:cool:

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
More from the '73 Parker 400. A couple more propane rigs... Ak Miller and Willie.

Jeff

That's Ak in the foreground talking to a fan and his co-driver, Ray Brock (balding) is leaning on the truck in the background. Ray was the publisher of Hot Rod magazine for a number of years and it was allegedly at one of his Christmas parties that Stroppe told Parnelli that he wasn't man enough to race off road (waving the red cape in front of the bull).

Todd Z.

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi Todd,

Love the details you are sharing. Thanks for contributing so much!

Here's a link to an article in Four Wheeler about AK.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/features/1411-best-hot-rodder-in-the-world-hourglass/

And this is a little more interesting article from Hot Rod. Here's the link to it. (Trying to read that online is really a challenge.. not sure if it's my computer or if the article link is demanding too many resources.)

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-0606-ak-miller-history-best-hot-rodder/

Here's something in the article that I thought was pretty cool. (I'm just going to type it out as posting a screen shot doesn't always work out the best on the forum.) It's from the 26th paragraph into the article. "You could fill a book - and someone should - about Ak's road- and land-speed-racing exploits, his engineering innovations (turbocharging and using propane as an alternative fuel were his passions later in life), and his "incredible, quick wit," as Alex Xydias of So-Cal Speed shop described it."

He must have been a pretty interesting guy to talk with.

Jeff

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...Not much from the Stoppe side; but, hopefully still of interest to some of you.

Maybe not much in the way of vehicles, but I see Stroppe shirts that look like staff. In fact, the first time I saw the guy with the camera and the white British racing cap I thought of Willie. But back then I don't think he looked like that.
Wonder who the shirt bearers in the pics were? To me the support and peripheral people in the pics are just as important to the history of the pics.

Paul

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hey Guys,

Some more pics from the '73 Parker 400.

The last three are of Stan Gilbert's ride... another propane-burner. (I probably should have just posted one of them. More is better, right?

The Courier pic is for Andrew!

That's it.... :-[:-[:-[:-[

I'll go back to see if I missed any slides that would be of interest; but, I believe I have included all the Stroppe-related pics.

The 16 mm will be digitized this coming week. I'm anxious to see what was on it. I was able to check out the first frames which lead me to believe that it is footage from the '71 Mint 400, focused mainly on the propane racers. I hope to view it by the end of the week. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for all the kind words. I wish I had more to share.

Jeff

Attachments

• PICT0121.jpg
    PICT0121.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 133
  • PICT0122.jpg
    PICT0122.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 119
  • PICT0123.jpg
    PICT0123.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 114
  • PICT0124.jpg
    PICT0124.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 119
  • PICT0125.jpg
    PICT0125.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 114
  • PICT0126.jpg
    PICT0126.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 120

Huckit36

So many great photos and so much history! Awesome! Thanks for taking the time to share, and for all the links and info!!

One of the best things ive read in awhile, came from the article on The Debbie Special:

" The brash move would distance it from all those weekend-at-Yosemite family cocoons RV companies were building by the thousands. This would be for men. Men who hunt and fish and drink and score with the broads. None of this "daddy-look-it's-an-owl" crap. Strictly killing, drinking and fucking purposes only."

They dont write like this anymore!

House

Minutia Militia
So Jeff, did Manchester provide the tanks, and Petrolane provide the propane?
It looks like maybe another gas supplier or two at times also, correct?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Love seeing the old Courier.
Company I used to work for way back when had one of those as it's delivery truck. Had a big old 25 or 30 gallon tank between the frame rails under the bed and man, did we drive that thing around the Bay Area and back. Back when driving was more fun around here that is.

No power at all. But boy would it go for a long time between drinks at the well!

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Thank you sir....!!

Hey Guys,

Some more pics from the '73 Parker 400.

The last three are of Stan Gilbert's ride... another propane-burner. (I probably should have just posted one of them. More is better, right?

The Courier pic is for Andrew!

That's it.... :-[:-[:-[:-[

I'll go back to see if I missed any slides that would be of interest; but, I believe I have included all the Stroppe-related pics.

The 16 mm will be digitized this coming week. I'm anxious to see what was on it. I was able to check out the first frames which lead me to believe that it is footage from the '71 Mint 400, focused mainly on the propane racers. I hope to view it by the end of the week. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for all the kind words. I wish I had more to share.

Jeff

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi House,

You are correct... Manchester supplied the tanks. Petrolane must have been the fuel supplier for the '71 Mint 400. Impco provided all the carburetion/fuel delivery equipment... you can see some of their decals on some of the propane vehicles.

I wish I would have asked more questions when I was younger. I'm not sure there is anyone around now who really has an understanding of details.

I believe my Dad was the point guy from the propane side in the dealings with Bill. I remember that he was involved in coordinating the fuel stops in the Baja '69; but, I might be wrong.

Take Care,

Jeff

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
Hey Guys,

Some more pics from the '73 Parker 400. Jeff

I love it. The Colorado River in the background. That's just a couple years before i started going to the Parker Strip regularly because the drinking age was 19 in AZ back then. ;D

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
We always think bout stuff like asking those questions way after the fact unfortunately

Great memories though

Hi House,

You are correct... Manchester supplied the tanks. Petrolane must have been the fuel supplier for the '71 Mint 400. Impco provided all the carburetion/fuel delivery equipment... you can see some of their decals on some of the propane vehicles.

I wish I would have asked more questions when I was younger. I'm not sure there is anyone around now who really has an understanding of details.

I believe my Dad was the point guy from the propane side in the dealings with Bill. I remember that he was involved in coordinating the fuel stops in the Baja '69; but, I might be wrong.

Take Care,

Jeff

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hey Everyone,

Well... since the original subject of this thread talked about a film from the Mint 400, I suppose it's only fair to share it with everyone.

The film is from the 1973 Mint 400.

I just got the video back from the conversion company on Monday. I am really pleased with the way it turned out. I only wish it had sound.

There are some great shots of my Dad (wearing the blue and white Manchester Tank jacket and red Bill Stroppe hat), which means the most to me.

I know enough about some of the people in the video to be dangerous (Bill Stroppe, Parnelli and Bill Rush); but, I know that Todd will be able to help pin names to faces. (I shared the video with Todd and Mark hoping to get a feel for an interest level in posting it.)

I really do hope that everyone enjoys the video. Feedback is appreciated.

Here's the link:

https://jeff2012.smugmug.com/1973-Mint-400-16mm-Film-Conversion/

(When you click on the play button there will be some tools at the bottom of the video window. If you click on the icon for the two opposing arrows in the far right the full screen mode will open.)

There may be more videos taken by the guy that put this film together in the 70s. I'm not sure if it will work out; but, I've reached out to my brother-in-law who knows the photograper.

Take Care,

Jeff

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not sure what I'm doing wrong Jeff, but it won't play for me. I get the different sized screen shots of the cover (that's your dad? cool...) but hitting the play button doesn't get anything. Clicking alternately shows the play and pause buttons, but nothing goes even if I sit there and watch for up to a minute.

Maybe I dont' have the proper player? Doesn't seem right, but figured my home-built comp might be at fault.

Thanks. Great shot at least!

Paul

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Did me that way at first Paul but go back an hit the the picture first then you can hit play and largen the screen.