• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Maybe we should create a new term...Rat Rod Broncos!

Mikey

Bronco Guru
You guys are familiar with Rat Rods, right? How about Rat Rod Broncos? I figure a bunch of us would fit this term beautifully with our Broncos! ;D

What do ya think????

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
We already got 'em - we just call them Trail Rigs! Mine would certainly better qualify as a rat rod rather than a concours restoration! ;D

Rat bikes are cool, too. :cool:

OP
OP
M

Mikey

Bronco Guru
I think we are on to something here.....anybody know a Betty Page look-alike?

Yeah, I was thinking a trail rig would pretty well fit the description....but I kinda like the Rat Rod Bronco idea (I'm kinda biased since I thought of it!) To me, it sounds cool!

socalrick

Loc.
Tionesta
Dork!!! :D
I already got one.... if I ever get in the navy though the wife wants it decent enough for her to go round in

OP
OP
M

Mikey

Bronco Guru
A rat rod is a style of hot rod or custom car that, in most cases, imitates (or exaggerates) the early hot rods of the 40s, 50s, and 60s. It is not to be confused with the somewhat closely related "traditional" hot rod, which is an accurate re-creation or period-correct restoration of a hot rod from the same era.

Most rat rods appear "unfinished" (whether they actually are or are not), with just the bare essentials to be driven.

The rat rod is the visualization of the idea of function over form. Rat rods are meant to be driven, not shown off. Sometimes the customization will include using spare parts, or parts from another car altogether.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_rod

Also this part is fitting for us Bronco dudes...

Paint and Finish

Many Rat Rods appear unfinished with primer paint jobs being common. Other finishes may include “natural patina” (the original paint with rust and blemishes intact), a patchwork of original paint and primer, or bare metal with no finish at all in rusty or oiled varieties. Many rat rods also have free hand pinstriping done by the owners with a pinstriping brush. Contrary to tastes of many car builders, rust is often acceptable and appreciated by a Rat Rodder.

Interior

Interiors of rat rods vary from fully finished to a spartan, bare bones form. Mexican blankets and bomber seats form the basis of many rat rod interiors. Most are designed to be functional without many comforts although this will vary with the owner’s taste.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I already think of mine as a rat bronco. It definitely has the “natural patina” thing going. Actually it kind of looks like hell on the outside, but open the hood and you'll be amazed.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
I'm not a fan.

Many use this as an excuse to cobble together a rig, and call it a hot rod. Booger welds, *gasp* chevy 350's in hoodless cars, 'patina'; all things that make me cringe.

Give me a traditional rod any day. Finished, an eye for quality and workmanship, clever little touches that set it apart from the rest of the field.

This is what a proper hot rod should look like IMO: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=396

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
I like rat rods although some take the freedom a bit too far and just pile junk together and make a mess. A well built rat rod is as cool and safe as a 50K hot rod. JMO

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
One of the cool things about having a rat bronco is that it deters theft, I hope.

sellitall

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Malvern, Pennsylva
I know where you are coming from, but some of your statements couldn't be furhter fronm the truth. Sure there are people who hack there jobs. That's prevelant in the whole customizing world of automobiles. As for your quote about "many use this an excuse to cobble together a rig, and call it a hot rod", you may not really know what a true rat rod is. I know a pure rat rod enthusiast who has paid $28,000 for a 32 ford which received a concourse restoration from the previous owner. When he purchased it he took it totally apart to make it a rat rod. He searched high and low for era approriate parts such as heads, manifolds, tranny etc. He tore the whole drivetrain out and sold it. Basically, a true rat rod enthusiast is interested in the function over the presentation. Alot of times when you go to an open class car show the rat rods usually have the biggest crowds around them. People are drawn to the originality that goes into making an authentic rat rod. Hot rods all start looking the same after awhile. It's like chrome, pastel, chrome, pastel and light colored tuck and rolled interior. But then again it's all just an opinion ;D

I'm not a fan.

Many use this as an excuse to cobble together a rig, and call it a hot rod. Booger welds, *gasp* chevy 350's in hoodless cars, 'patina'; all things that make me cringe.

Give me a traditional rod any day. Finished, an eye for quality and workmanship, clever little touches that set it apart from the rest of the field.

This is what a proper hot rod should look like IMO: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=396

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
Yeah, there's always that 'one guy' that will do a good job. Of the hundreds I've run across at car shows, club meets, cruise-in's and other functions, 99% are junk.

I'd still much rather have a traditional rod, it's on the 'to-do' list, along with:
  • Build a bobber
  • Restore a Willys CJ2
  • Build a very unsuspecting sleeper (I still want a 64 Belvedere with the "Interceptor" package)
  • Resto-mod a ~50 Chevy 5 window pickup
  • Restore a 57 Power Wagon
  • Etc...