• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

flooding maybe - where should I look?

JakeAlex

Loc.
New Albany, MS
So this past weekend I got to drive my EB farther than I have since I've had it. Before the drive, I recently installed a new drive shaft on the rear, new radiator and shroud. I made the first half of the drive to the exhaust shop for duals. It seemed to run fine. After picking it up with the new exhaust, it seemed to be flooding. I could smell gas and it just didn’t crank with one quick turn as it had been. I drove it back home and it almost wouldn’t stay cranked while sitting in the driveway. After looking around, I noticed one of the new exhaust pipes is real close to the fuel hose and filter that comes out of the tank. Also, I have a cheaper see-through just before my carb. I grabbed it and it seemed real hot and was bubbling. This maybe normal but wasnt sure. I've never driven it this far nor felt of the filter after a drive. What do you guys think and where do you suggest that I start looking for the problem?

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The fuel should not be boiling in the filter so you need to get it away from the exhaust. The boiling fuel should not cause it to flood. It could cause a vapor lock and cause it to run bad or even cut off.

OP
OP
JakeAlex

JakeAlex

Loc.
New Albany, MS
To clarify the hose and filter near the carb was what was hot and that same filter (near carb) was bubbling. I don’t know if it was just air bubbles so to speak or bubbling due to being hot. My exhaust exited just before my rear chunk before and now it is bent to extend out the back corners. I have the 23 gal JBG tank and have it vented well above the rear tire if this matters. Just seemed to start running rough since the exhaust but again this is the most I’ve driven it ever. I also tried driving it about an hour ago and it was running rough too. Its been sitting since yesterday so I don’t feel it had time to get hot enough to start running bad. ???

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Must just be some trash in the jets or in the needle and seat. What carb are you running?

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Well can't have hot fuel.. So fix that .. But you could have trash in the carb ..We never know when trash is going to move .. Look at the plug wires make sure none are burned .. They shouldn't be but you just never know when for some strange reason they pulled off one of your exhaust manifolds to get out a broke bolt and that just slipped their mind .. Of course they also forgot too tell you they pulled the plug wire apart and broke the sparkplug ..
Just look around inspector~~

stingus

Loc.
Nashville,
So this past weekend I got to drive my EB farther than I have since I've had it. Before the drive, I recently installed a new drive shaft on the rear, new radiator and shroud. I made the first half of the drive to the exhaust shop for duals. It seemed to run fine. After picking it up with the new exhaust, it seemed to be flooding. I could smell gas and it just didn’t crank with one quick turn as it had been. I drove it back home and it almost wouldn’t stay cranked while sitting in the driveway. After looking around, I noticed one of the new exhaust pipes is real close to the fuel hose and filter that comes out of the tank. Also, I have a cheaper see-through just before my carb. I grabbed it and it seemed real hot and was bubbling. This maybe normal but wasnt sure. I've never driven it this far nor felt of the filter after a drive. What do you guys think and where do you suggest that I start looking for the problem?

Bad fuel pump?
When my fuel pump went bad it had the same symptoms: bubbling in the clear filter near the carb was caused by the pump intermittantly pumping fuel. Also caused the cranking issues and stalling. Do make every effort to keep fuel lines away from heat sources but for me it was a fuel pump and clogged fiter issue.
Even though your tank is new you still might be pulling trash that was at the bottom of it from the manufacturer. I have a new 23 gallon tom's tank and I've changed the filters 3 times in 3 months.

OP
OP
JakeAlex

JakeAlex

Loc.
New Albany, MS
Very good possibility that it is trash. The factory tank that I pulled was awful. I didn’t drive it much before pulling the old tank but we all know that just idling could pull trash in the carb. I’ve been running the new tank since Christmas. As for fuel and heat, I’m aware that it doesn’t need to get hot. I assume that my exhaust guy wouldn’t have put it too close as I’ve used him for years and he’s done several EB’s. I did wonder if it was too close though but that would mean it would run good for a while until everything got warmed up. Then it would start running bad. It’s just been running like piss since I picked it up from the exhaust shop. I’m going to try changing both fuel filters first when I get a chance. I just felt like smelling gas and with it running rough that it was flooding and wasn’t sure what would cause it….

project69

Loc.
Ellensburg
I have a 69 with the same issue. When it's cold it fires right up instantly. After driving it for a decent distance and it has a chance to get warm it seems to run just fine, but when I turn it off when I go to start it again it seems to be flooded a bit and I have to hold the pedal down to get it to start. Once it's started it runs just fine again, just doesn't start up on the first crank like it does when it's cold. Wonder if this is a similar problem? I have a new Edelbrock carb on it and recently new fuel filter. I did notice that my EB get's pretty dang warm under the hood as well but it does run at 190 and stays there.

Annapolis76EB

Loc.
Annapolis, MD
Did you make a major exhaust change? When I went from stock exhaust to headers and true duals my timing had advanced enough to make it run rough. Maybe not the problem, but easy enough to check and make sure it hasn't advanced or retarded on you. You should check your carb adjustments with a vac gauge as well.

OP
OP
JakeAlex

JakeAlex

Loc.
New Albany, MS
Did you make a major exhaust change? When I went from stock exhaust to headers and true duals my timing had advanced enough to make it run rough. Maybe not the problem, but easy enough to check and make sure it hasn't advanced or retarded on you. You should check your carb adjustments with a vac gauge as well.

I did make what i'd call a major change. I have headers and the old exhaust was rotten with giant holes all troughout the exhaust. I added new dual plumbing from the headers out to the rear corners with added dual flows. I didt know that this could change my timing so I'm sure that could be some of the issue. As for the carb working on it is new for me and out of my realm. I'll need to do some studing. Either way seems like everytime I upgrade something, it "retards" something else%) ;D ...... Story of my life. Thanks for your response.

Annapolis76EB

Loc.
Annapolis, MD
Do you have a timing light and vacuum gauge? Check and set your timing (I run around 12 initial) and then use your vacuum gauge to adjust your fuel mixture. This should simply be turning screws on the carb until you get the highest vacumm reading. I am by no means a mechanically skilled individual and even I was able to figure it out. Let me know if I can help. I would be more than happy to walk you through it on the phone if need be. Again, this might not be your problem, but my new exhaust definitely had an effect on my timing and carb and the adjustments needed to get her running smooth again were very simple.

OP
OP
JakeAlex

JakeAlex

Loc.
New Albany, MS
Do you have a timing light and vacuum gauge? Check and set your timing (I run around 12 initial) and then use your vacuum gauge to adjust your fuel mixture. This should simply be turning screws on the carb until you get the highest vacumm reading. I am by no means a mechanically skilled individual and even I was able to figure it out. Let me know if I can help. I would be more than happy to walk you through it on the phone if need be. Again, this might not be your problem, but my new exhaust definitely had an effect on my timing and carb and the adjustments needed to get her running smooth again were very simple.

Thanks Annapolis. I'm going to try replacing both filters and running some stuff a friend suggested in my fuel. then I plan on getting a light. Was told one could be bought for $20 so I plan on trying that. Not sure about a vacuum guage. Where can I get one and how much cash? Again thanks for the advice and help offer. Might take you up on it.

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
What you describe sounds likea classic hot soak problem, too. So another thing to check is whether you have at least a 1/3 inch thick carb insulator gasket between the carb and the intake. The top of the intake gets plenty warm. Warn enough to conduct right into the carb with fuel boiling as a result.

Annapolis76EB

Loc.
Annapolis, MD
Timing light should be around $20 and vacuum gauge should be around $12-$15. I think I picked both of mine up at Auto Zone. Shoot me a PM if you need any help and I will talk you through it. Also, as Mars said, if the timing and carb adjustments don't solve the problem, you might need to add a carb spacer, which again is very simple. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If it was running good before and now it runs like crap even when cold then I think it must be trash in the carb or the choke is stuck closed. Pull the air cleaner off and make sure the choke isn't stuck and then clean out the carb. Sometimes if the trash isn't to bad you can just make it suck through the jets without taking it apart. With the air cleaner off rev up the engine and then cover the top or the carp with your hand or a rag. It will suck hard and try to die but keep it revved up. Remove your hand from the carb if it tries to cut off. Do this several times and it will usually clean it out and start running better.

OP
OP
JakeAlex

JakeAlex

Loc.
New Albany, MS
If it was running good before and now it runs like crap even when cold then I think it must be trash in the carb or the choke is stuck closed. Pull the air cleaner off and make sure the choke isn't stuck and then clean out the carb. Sometimes if the trash isn't to bad you can just make it suck through the jets without taking it apart. With the air cleaner off rev up the engine and then cover the top or the carp with your hand or a rag. It will suck hard and try to die but keep it revved up. Remove your hand from the carb if it tries to cut off. Do this several times and it will usually clean it out and start running better.

This is also what I feel like the issue is. I plan on trying a can o sea foam first. Then replacing my fuel filters and air filter next. Then will go from there with the timing and vacuum guage. I have a sick little boy right now and am playing mr mom so I will likely be a little while before I get a chance to play with it.