• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Mail box run

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
As a normal routine we take the Bronco to the mailbox most days, about a 1 mile round trip. Today I decided to take a trip around our property on a trail I've cut through the woods. Fairly easy, couple of steep spots, creek crossings, looking for wildlife. I even mentioned how good the Bronco is running and she comments "well why don't you tear it apart since it's running so good". I'm planning 1 ton upgrade as soon as I get my Behemoth strongbox, that's another lengthy story. Anyway, on the way back from the mailbox she says "well are we taking any side trips", which meant coming up the powerline that has a 2' shelf at the top. Front tires up but can't make it, wait somethings wrong, snapped the D20 output shaft!! Winch my way up, undo the rear ujoint and drive on home, casually mentioning that the ZF, strong box and NP205 will fix the problem! So it was Her idea to take the side trip which now clears the way for the upgrade. Such a lucky drive and guy! Thanks Hon!

nik

Loc.
Corcoran, CA
So how long have you been waiting for the Strongbox lol. Mine was a month late, which is actually not bad compared to what I've heard other people deal with. I have the same setup as you're planning; ZF5, Strongbox, NP205...still trying to figure out my rear shaft.

OP
OP
S

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
Had the box on order since mid-November. Jacob said about 4 weeks so it's about a month behind now. Since my wife made me break the D20 I really ready for it now. We bought this piece of property about 10 years ago and between the gravel creeks, rocks and ledges it's Bronco heaven. The ledges are rounded and some moss covered so they can be a real challenge. I always want to go over and up the ledge to get the mail but yesterday thought I'd just use the road and it was Janice's idea to come up the powerline which was a surprise and joy for me. Not sure what happened but now the swap is on the front burner. Nik, did you notch the frame to clock the 205 up higher?

nik

Loc.
Corcoran, CA
Sounds like the exact same situation I had last year. I emailed him a ton quoting each time he gave me a deadline, eventualy he probably got sick of me lol. Breaking things is always a good reason to upgrade, that's how it all started for me. I did not notch the frame, I don't think it will hamper me that much. Plan on building a nice skid for it.

stlo

Bronco Guru
Loc.
tulsa
Ya I know he has a 435 just seems like everyone is switching from standard to auto these days when they make a big change like Steve is doing.... Most of they guys he and I go wheeling with are mostly auto....just was curious what made him choose the zf....

nik

Loc.
Corcoran, CA
Ya I know he has a 435 just seems like everyone is switching from standard to auto these days when they make a big change like Steve is doing.... Most of they guys he and I go wheeling with are mostly auto....just was curious what made him choose the zf....

Oh ok, threw me off lol.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Looking forward to seeing the upgrades:)

and just for notes, if I would have had an NV4500 sitting in the floor when I built mine its what would be in there instead of the auto, but the auto is there and I can't bring myself to change it. I miss rowing gears and playing with the clutch on the trail.