• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

"Lil Rusty" My second Bronco

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My initial plans are to get it running good, and make it a plow rig. Any restoration would be in the cowl / front floor area. The nose is pretty solid, and the floor supports and body mounts seem tight. I don't want to restore another car any time soon, but it would be great to own something care free that I can buzz around in.

Cool rig history...might be time to get a Tetnus shot booster.

patterdale

Bronco Guru
I think the model years went different. So the first 1966 would be august, the first 1967 in August, and so on. So a 68 may be built in 68 or 69.

Just the reverse. The new year started in the ninth month of the year before. The first 66's had to be built in the end of 65 and so on. The didn't change until the last few years that some new trucks actually come out in may now so a 2015 actually came out in may of 2014.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Just the reverse. The new year started in the ninth month of the year before. The first 66's had to be built in the end of 65 and so on. The didn't change until the last few years that some new trucks actually come out in may now so a 2015 actually came out in may of 2014.

Not according to the broncohio VIN decoder

Different years started in different months

For example:
1970 started in August (the 8th month)
1971 started in July (the 7th month)

http://www.broncohio.com/tech/ebvins.html

1968 actually started in November 1967

OP
OP
B

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
Well, I have her cleaned up a bit, and she looks to be worth saving. Floors and rockers should get her respectable, it will need a cowl top and possibly a windshield mount as well, but that can be handled later. I hooked the fuel pump up to my boat tank, and she started up. It sounds like it has a stutter so I'll pray there's not a stuck valve, and by the looks of the dist cap and plugs, I'm betting is ign or carb related.

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Well, I have her cleaned up a bit, and she looks to be worth saving. Floors and rockers should get her respectable, it will need a cowl top and possibly a windshield mount as well, but that can be handled later. I hooked the fuel pump up to my boat tank, and she started up. It sounds like it has a stutter so I'll pray there's not a stuck valve, and by the looks of the dist cap and plugs, I'm betting is ign or carb related.

I love it when a plan comes together!

OP
OP
B

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
Making some progress! I've been able to scrape up some used parts to bring it to life. With the new carb, it starts and runs pretty good. I have used exhaust, rear driveshaft, new front brakes, and new(er) rear brakes. I'm currently replacing the brake lines, and have the rear (H block and back) pretty much done. I also freed up the heater switch, and that's working as well. I think this guy will be saved, and can be a respectable little rig for buzzing around town, and plowing the driveway. There are no pics worth posting yet, but I will post more as it progresses.

deadfish

e brake cable

brian, all I have is the front cable to the splitter.ordered extra one by mistake. 66 has no e brake so I don't need both

OP
OP
B

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
Well, some more progress, but nothing worth pictures. I started removing misc wiring that was added for a 2nd ammeter, visor light, and a few other items. I installed a nice fuel tank with a new sender, and eliminated all the parts for the aux fuel tank. I also fixed the wiring to the column that was installed just twisted with electrical tape. After dropping the harness down searching for a broken wire circuit, turns out a little corrosion on the fuse contact will always get you (I should have known better.)

OP
OP
B

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
Just ordered the Hearthrob glass pack manifold back system for $145 to my door. Includes everything needed for installation. I'm no sure you can go wrong for the money.

OP
OP
B

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
Exhaust installed. I ended up on a wild goose chase for a Drivers side Manifold, and Deadfish helped me get it installed on Saturday. Today I installed a new timing cover, water pump and fuel pump.

OP
OP
B

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
Sad to report that while plowing last night, the temp rose quickly. The radiator was dry, so I added antifreeze, and it seemed to drain immediately. I'm hoping it's just a casting plug that rotted thru, but I need to check the crankcase for antifreeze tonight. It was holding pressure just fine when last parked, I really hope it's some thing simple.....

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
like the way you think ol' Strange one!