• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Just bought a modified 1970 Bronco, need help identifying these steering parts

SuperBronco

Hi everyone, I just acquired a 1970 Bronco and I am going through the front end to update bushings, etc. However, I am not sure what parts I am looking at, but they do not look stock. Does this tie rod and drag link combo look familiar to anyone? The bushings are definitely in need of replacement. Thanks!

F5Qofu5.jpg

9L1T6Mi.jpg

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
the bottom steering stabilizer is correct, that top one and the bracket is some funky shat
Front shocks non stock added older style to get quad shocks up front

markatherton

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
suspension

Looks like you have a fairly significant lift. What I see is a drop pitman arm and a drop track bar bracket. It looks like the track bar should be slightly higher on the drivers side to make it parallel with the drag link. You may need an adjustable track bar to accomplish this and may need to drill another hole in the drop track bar bracket. Mark in San Diego; Beach City Broncos.

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
Looks like you have a fairly significant lift. What I see is a drop pitman arm and a drop track bar bracket. It looks like the track bar should be slightly higher on the drivers side to make it parallel with the drag link. You may need an adjustable track bar to accomplish this and may need to drill another hole in the drop track bar bracket. Mark in San Diego; Beach City Broncos.

The drop pitman arm on the steering box looks like one for a late model Bronco. Mine had the same thing. The early Bronco drop arm has a different shape, and a little more drop.

I agree, track bar, tie rods, etc. look to be stock, except for that wonky upper stabilizer.

OP
OP
S

SuperBronco

Thanks everyone, this is incredibly helpful. Nothing like reverse engineering someone else's modifications, but so far this is one of the most fun vehicles I have ever driven. Much appreciated!

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Pretty cool looking bronco
It’s a big lift though, I can’t tell if you have a body lift on it or not
But if your having handling problems you can always lower the lift a little
Newer suspension ride much better

Broncobowsher

Total hack
A picture straight on would help a lot.

Looks like a lot of lift. Your caster numbers are probably bad and it wonders around on the road. Multiple steering dampers with what looks like a spot for one that has already been removed. Makes me thing this is a late 80s/early 90s lift/build. Add in big tires, stock drum brakes, no effort put into setting bumpstops so the tires can't get into the body. All says old school. Given that vintage, probably a stock steering box as well,

The track bar bracket bolted tot he frame, They tend to work loose if only bolted in. Most of the time they need welding in. Guessing lower miles with that lift. Because with miles on that drop bracket it tends to crack the frame. The new school way of fixing that (as in the past 20 years as new) is to put a track bar lift bracket on the axle.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've even seen multiple stabilizer shocks mounted in a binding condition to try to control a very bad case of the "Death Wobbles" (not your basic shimmy, but a real seat puckering driving experience). And it worked too. As soon as we removed one stabilizer the Bronco was practically un-drivable. Well, not "practically" as it WAS un-drivable!

Big tires on wide and highly offset wheels have more input/leverage into the steering system, so there's always something else to watch out for.
Looks like newer tires though. If so that is a good thing. Never hurts to verify though, when driving around in a new-to-you 4wd truck/utility vehicle. Lots of old tires waiting to cause trouble, even though they look brand new and with almost no tread wear.
I've got two sets of those! Hardly driven, but the tires are now over 20 years old and pretty much un-serviceable. Gonna' have to break down and buy some new ones one of these days.%)

When you have time take some additional pictures from around and under the rig and we might be able to see any other things to make recommendations on. And as said, that's a really nice looking Bronco!

Welcome to classicbroncos!

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Forgot to comment on the chrome. Also dates it. Chrome tie rod and drag link.
Fix the brake line. Where the front axle flex line attaches to the frame, looks to be just dangling in air, no support to the hard brake line off the frame. Don't let that happen, it will fatigue the hard line and it will break.

Looks like a chrome mustang oil pan as well. Probably a late model (strange calling late 80's or early 90's late model) engine. Did they keep the EFI?

Just from the condition I am going to guess it hasn't been driven much in the past couple of decades. Some needed items (like new tires) and was put up for sale.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Congrats on your score and Welcome aboard~!!

Hi everyone, I just acquired a 1970 Bronco and I am going through the front end to update bushings, etc. However, I am not sure what parts I am looking at, but they do not look stock. Does this tie rod and drag link combo look familiar to anyone? The bushings are definitely in need of replacement. Thanks!

F5Qofu5.jpg

9L1T6Mi.jpg

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
Here's my setup, nice horizontal stabilizer, works great.;D

Attachments

• IMG_0202.jpg
    IMG_0202.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 34