• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Insurance

1971lubr

Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
Grundy doesn't check mileage or ask for mileage. You do have to be careful where you park it and drive it. Not exactly a daily, but not a car show only policy either.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Allstate requires that you insure all your vehicles with them EXCEPT classics they will only cover liability so they graciously allow you to insure elsewhere %)

I’ll be looking at Hagerty here shortly I insured my Mustang with them many years ago

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
How are people insuring a restomod if they intend on driving it daily (or driving it enough that collector car insurance would question the mileage)?

ANPAC Chrome offers an unlimited mileage option for some extra cost (and their regular limit is pretty high).

1971lubr

Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
ANPAC Chrome offers an unlimited mileage option for some extra cost (and their regular limit is pretty high).

I'm actually going to compare them to Grundy when it's time to renew in June. Their coverage looks great, although I don't need 10,000 miles a year, so if it's higher than Grundy it's not worth it for me. Grundy is cheap at 360 a year for 50k and zero deductible.

Bryan18

Loc.
Klamath Falls
I just received a quote today from Hagerty for $255/year with a $25k value. My local agent needs to take pictures of the outside and then he says I'm good to go. I have a '68 U15. Nothing special but in great shape. Hope this helps and good luck.

Tom Dummer

Loc.
Scappoose, Or
I just received a quote today from Hagerty for $255/year with a $25k value. My local agent needs to take pictures of the outside and then he says I'm good to go. I have a '68 U15. Nothing special but in great shape. Hope this helps and good luck.
Is there a mileage limit on that policy?

metal1

Loc.
hidesert ,socal
2 nd on hagarty .when I 1st approached them about my 67 and replacement value I told them I tought 12k they thought it was to low sent an appraiser and he set a replacement value at 20k ,with my other 2 rods with rhem it only came out to another 125 $ a yr for coverage ;)another option if your are a vet is the coverage you can get from auto insur coverage they also have collector car and specialty car

Jc.av8r

I have limited use vehicle valuation on mine.

You pick the value, and the insurance will either accept or counter. Ours is "collector" status. Under 2k miles a year, mostly used for leisure drives and car shows.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
I have limited use vehicle valuation on mine.

You pick the value, and the insurance will either accept or counter. Ours is "collector" status. Under 2k miles a year, mostly used for leisure drives and car shows.

I would guess a functional odometer is required for that type policy? I’m out!

I gotta get something soon though, right now I only have liability with Allstate, but it’s still pretty much a close proximity driver

Jc.av8r

I would guess a functional odometer is required for that type policy? I’m out!

I gotta get something soon though, right now I only have liability with Allstate, but it’s still pretty much a close proximity driver

I'm sure there's a way around that. They don't check anyways.

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I just signed up with Hagerty 2K miles/year $60K replacement, really high limit liability like all my other vehicles with State Farm. $880/year. SF was going to be double that. No appraisal, just took the prescribed pics. Waiting to see if they approve. Then get my registration current and maybe first drive next week!

Brnco302

I just did this also. I had AAA and they wouldn't insurer it for for close to value. I had to go to Haggerty to get 30K 3000 miles for around 880$. Thing is I drove it to Fl from Mi and keep it down there.I still have the Mi registration and title on it. When I get a Fl title for it the Haggerty rates drop to 580$.To get a Fl title for it the state charges 400$ to switch over. It will be worth it in the long run but the state your in does make a difference.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Have had Haggerty for a couple years now. Live in WV, unlimited miles, guaranteed $30k if stolen or totaled only $655 a year with no deductibles. I made sure it was unlimited because I told them I take long trips in it.

I also had my insurance agent with all my other insurance do the communication with haggerty instead of me. I think this helped with getting what I wanted at a descent price

Last edited:

metal1

Loc.
hidesert ,socal
for insurance if you are a vet is check out USAA they have collector car street rod .ect a few of my vet buddies have there eb`s covered by them and is less expensive than what I'm paying with haggarty

CA Monkey

Loc.
Tracy
USAA uses American Collectors Insurance as their insurance company with USAA being the middle man. If you have to file a claim they have you contact American Collectors Insurance directly. I'm pretty sure the main benefit it you will get a lower rate but I would need to get a quote from American Collectors Insurance to compare.

Also, USAA / American Collectors Insurance requires you and your household to have a nearly perfect driving record....

What driver qualifications are needed to get classic car insurance?

You need:

A minimum of five years of driving with a license.
A good driving record and no more than one moving violation or one at-fault accident within the last thee years (up to two per household).
One regular-use vehicle for every licensed driver in the household (exceptions may be made for full-time students and retired members).
Anyone with a drunken-driving conviction within the past 10 years doesn't qualify.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
for insurance if you are a vet is check out USAA they have collector car street rod .ect a few of my vet buddies have there eb`s covered by them and is less expensive than what I'm paying with haggarty

Thank you, we’ve been banking with USAA for many years and they’ve been great, so long as you don’t have any issues...if you want to talk to someone in person 1) you gotta go to San Antonio and 2) pretty much be prepared to be patted down and explain yourself to a video camera and then MAYBE someone will come out and talk to you.

Also we tried to mortgage a house with them in 2010 and it was an absolute nightmare. I think I will check out American Collectors and cut out the USAA middle man, who I know from experience is a piece of shit in times when you need them most.

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
These insurance threads come up at times on the board and it's often brought up what happens if you have to file a claim with a collectors car insurance company. Here's my experience with haggerty after I was involved in a wreck caused by hitting pigs on the hiway.

I don't recall the accident as I got banged up pretty well and was placed in a medically induced coma at the hospital. The wife handled the initial parts of the claim.

The adjuster which was contracted by Hagerty got everything down pretty good. He recognized the after market add ons and got them priced according like the cowl induction fiberglass hood, the BC Broncos soft top as well as new replacement sheet metal.

There's actually a thread on the forum last year entitled "who's wreck is this" or something like that. There were pictures uploaded to some website of the wrecked Bronco. Some sort of auction thing. I didn't quite understand at that time what they were trying to do.

They used that auction posting to determine the value of the wrecked Bronco.
I had the Bronco insured for $21,400. They determined they could get $2,800 for it. The adjuster came up with a little more than $16,000 worth of damage.

I got offered from Hagerty $18,600 if I elected to keep the Bronco. I accepted the offer and Hagerty will once again insure the truck once it is repaired properly. I have to provide documentation which in my case will be pictures showing repairs as I will do them myself. Since I'm working for free, the money that would be spent on labor can go into another Bronco project. Hagerty wants to go after the dip$hit that is responsible for this mess and I'm letting the lawyer deal with that.

So in my opinion Hagerty stepped up and treated me fairly. I will continue to do business with them. They also paid to have the truck towed to my shop which is about 25 miles away and sent me a check for a grand to help with the medical bills.

Jaxgtc

I have mult-line and multi-vehicle with SF and I have always been happy with them. As for my ‘75 I switched it to Hagerty in the fall for about $250 a year. My SF agent was real cool about it and said he couldn’t touch that with his collector line. Still a SF fan, just not what I need for the Bronco. I am at 20k valuation, but may go up a little next year.