• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I don't think my RUNNING BUDDY's BRONCO will ever, be the same.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
.... I Decided to post up this store in this section.. It's like at some points everyone of us has these kinds of issues..
So my Running Buddy bought his 1966 Bronco over 20 years ago.. App. 2002 or maybe 03. & YES I WAS WITH him when he bought it. It had good BONES. 200 MUSTANG motor setting in the back of the Wangon section. We got it home & I built the 200 cid for him ..We got it installed, up in town at his shop . after about 6 months we had it running & driving around the Blocks in town. WE COULDN'T WAIT TO TAKE IT HUNTING . & We did that year. 3 Speed trans had to go, SO WITH HELP FROM THIS WEBSITE. I bought 3 NP435 4speeds & he got the pick of the trans & it went into his Bronco 1st.. tHEN THE 2ND one went into my 72V8 bronco.. Mine turned out perfect . While he got the trans that Scratched going into 2nd gear. No problem he just shifted slower.. after all we're old GEESOR'S.
I'm an old parts man . i operated my own parts store from 1967 until 1995 & then spent another 25 years in CHRYSLER Service & Parts Plus Supervisor & Freightliner outside sales service.
So I Manage to find Power steering pump off a Maverick & carb off a 250cid & We fixed him up with POWER Steering on his Bronco.
He's Mr. Ford every thing .. SO HE HATED the SAGINAW PUMP Because it was a GM product.. HE Wanted a Thompson pump.I kept telling him No you truly don't want that Thompson pump. SO i SCAVENGERed up another THOMPSON SET UP... another couple hundred & He has the Ford set up.. ON Own next New Mexico hunting week long trip from 5000 to 9200 ft sea level. Twisting & turning 6. turn Stock gear box. He some discovered, as his P/S pump puked the fluid out over top .& We filled the pump up 2 or 3 times a day. & We even had to make a 50 mile trip back into the nearest town for several more qts of P/S fluid .. But we got to set on a real commode & wash our hand in hot water & eat a meal not off the tailgate. . SO When we got home the Saginaw was put back on..
....# & About 4 years later he decided he needed a V8 in his BRONCO.. So we found a 302 this time it went to the REAL Machine shop in town & Pete the machinist built it. It was good But now it needed an Automatic trans behind it. SO I found him a C4 & WE INSTALLED IT .. He had 4:11'S . he hated it. So I found him an ALD.. hE TOOK IT & HAD A LOT OF WORK DONE INTO IT. Cost him about 2500.00 & the shop built it to crawl in the rocks.. It sucked also.. & The carb on the 302 never work well along with the ALD. .
....# & SO He decides he need Fuel injection . WE'' OK ..BUT that 302 really does run good if you'll give it a chance.. NO NO NO. GOING MODERN 5.0 L HO. SO i TELL HIM he needs a Mustang 5.0L.
SO He buys a 1987 lincoln 5.0 HO COMPLETE CAR. has the motor & tran both removed & MOTOR was rebuilt by a mechanic he found that had worked in another machine shop. . That mechanic ripped him off big time .. He didn't bore it 030 like he said he did. It wound up with 2 different heads on it. & The the AODE TRANS got jacked again at another trans shop.. Fuel injection never worked correctly. & He bought every piece of the FI parts from our local Ford Dealer part folks. ABOUT 6 k ON THIS INSTALL.
NEVER RAN PROPERLY . ANOTHER new Wiring harness. I believe this one was no2. SO IT RUNS ON FOR about 5 years .& Always seemed to have some miss type issue. We barely got it home from our last NM hunting trip. . He take it to a different motor tech . This ''cool cat'' while he's spent a few years at the ford dealership. He to is too cool.. He said the heads have to com off.. SO buddy says yake them & fix it. Heads come off.. 2 different ones ... HEY THIS thing ain;'t been bored it still has STD pistons in it.. & Block is ruined with wall scared.
So now another motor time. But another 5.0L HO & IT GOES BACK TO 1ST QUALITY MACHINIST . ABOUT $2500.oo later. It's back at shop . & 2ND MECHANIC convensees my Buddy he need to go with a slightly late EFI SET UP. so another grand + .. HEY IT'S GOT TO HAVE another new painless harness .. Got 3rd harness.. ALL THIS HAS TAKEN ANOTHER YEAR & His Bronco now needs another paint job from setting outside... Hey you;'ve got the wrong Computer on this set up. DUMBASS COME HOME WITH ONE OFF A v6. now another 6 weeks later. OH SHIT THIS Computer is wrong.. YOU GOT TO HAVE A NEW COMPUTER.. I Never had anything to do with this tech that's working on it now... I think he's the crook. But for some reason my Buddy like him. So now buddy has a new Painlees installed I think & Another computer is supposed to be here this week.. MAYBE WITH FINGERS CROSSED..
# & AS you may can tell I've just stepped back somewhat from this build . & Let my friend handle it by himself. . I'll bet my friend has 40K + in this Bronco now. Granted it'd been his daily driver for the last 20+ years . But it's been down a lot over the last 5 to maybe 10 years. But I think he's still managed to put about 75 to 90k miles on it over all.
# & He live on the golf course about 2 miles from his Old Family owned business of 4 generations .It may not make it to the 5th. Golf Course is only about 3 miles from His business & Down Town where he's on the city counsel for over 20 years . & He Pastors at his local Church of Christ..
SO I THOUGHT some of you might like to know if you think your having issues with building your Bronco.. It's not just happening in your world..
& Sadly no other mechanic in our town want to work on it due to everyone having heard this story..
..............SO I guess take your shots.
maybe I didn't leave too much out of this so it'll make mostly good since.