• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Don't fidlle around with spark plug, or coil wires while engine is running

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
My hand is still a little numb from the shock I got from the coil wire :eek::eek:

Oh and with a MSD 6AL box and blaster coil, puts out a mean shock

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I will verify that an MSD will throw 6 sparks/jolts when it triggers. Be careful bumping the distributor with the key on. When it thinks the rotor is moving in the distributor, it will fire. I could count all 6 zaps as they occured sequentally.

broncobandit

The worst shock of my life was off a spark plug wire I thought wasn't plugged in all the way while the engine was running. That's bad because I'm an industrial electrician that's been in the trade for 31 years.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
I grabbed my coil wire when the engine was running once... ONCE!!
Whoooh! I felt that jolt to my bone! Talk about a wake-up, don't need coffee after that!

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Mark,
So you're saying that we could all save money on buying coffee if we just go out in the garage first thing in the morning, crank the Bronco, and grab the coil wire?

dannywahlberg

Loc.
c-ville Ut
I was putting my dizzy back in and my MSD shocked the p&%s out of me! Both of my elbows were touching the core support and it got me good.

Ohio Bronco 21

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cleveland
I had been cranking the engine without it firing once. I was trying to adjust the distributor, well i left the key in the on position, began pulling the distributor out and touched the bottom of the Distributor to the inside wall off the distributor well, it sparked (lot of gas fumes in there) large explosion that propelled the whole distributor out of my hand and up into the hood, damaging it. I nearly crapped my pants.

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
Haha! When I got my rig back together this past winter I suspected my pertronics coil was bad. I had my wife crank the motor w/ the coil wire pulled to check for spark... It was NOT bad as is filled the engine bay w/ lightning & lit me up like a Xmas tree!!! I think my wife gave it a few xtra cranks after I hollered to "STOP"! Laughing WITH you, not at you... Hurts like hell don't it!?

JDJ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan
When I first started workin on stuff (about 10yrs ago) me and a buddy were workin a an old go cart of his. It had a 3.5 hp motor on it. We cranked it drove it a little. We then realized the engine didn't have a kill switch.

The great idea we had was to just real quick like snatch the spark plug wire off the plug %)........BAD idea! :eek: Don't let a 3.5 hp engine fool you.....it has a BIG kick! Looking at it now, man that was a bad idea. I know I didn't do that again....learn my lesson REAL quick. I'm sure I either put a string or a zip tie on it or something %);D

BroncinBrandon

Loc.
Tri-City Az
I was working on my 67 Buick about 5 years ago, it kept loading up at idle so I decided to put mallory box on it (Same as the MSD 6AL) and a accel super coil. After doing all that the car didn't run right so I went to time it, grabbed the cab right on the top and wow that hurt. I have no idea how many times I got shocked but it was bad. Go figure my plug wires were bad and arching.

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
Haha! When I got my rig back together this past winter I suspected my pertronics coil was bad. I had my wife crank the motor w/ the coil wire pulled to check for spark... It was NOT bad as is filled the engine bay w/ lightning & lit me up like a Xmas tree!!! I think my wife gave it a few xtra cranks after I hollered to "STOP"! Laughing WITH you, not at you... Hurts like hell don't it!?

Fungus - I'm sorry.....but, I literally laughed out loud when I read your reply. I can totally see my wife doing that.

I think if anyone who has worked on an old car or engine and if they are being honest, has been shocked in some form or fashion.

We used to have an old 3 wheeler.....my uncle would grab the plug wire and then grab us by the ear....it hurt like hell.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
My hand is still a little numb from the shock I got from the coil wire :eek::eek:

Oh and with a MSD 6AL box and blaster coil, puts out a mean shock

Ouch brother, hate it when that happens.. ;(

THE_74BEAST

Loc.
Central, FL
This reminds me of the time I had a bad plug wire in my car. It was running like crap and when I popped the hood, once in a while I could see a spark. Not sure which wire it was I figured the quickest way to find out was to start grabbing one wire at a time until the "SHOCK".
I started the motor, asked my girlfriend to come over, then asked her to hold my hand, then with my free hand started to grab one wire at a time until I heard her scream! She did not understand that electricity will flow through you to another...
Now she knows.;D