• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Holley 4180

NoAZ68

Loc.
Northern AZ
Hello,
Anyone running a Holley 4180? I have one on my '85 351w and it needs to be rebuilt, and a new power valve also (I think). I just rebuilt a '77 or so Q-jet off of a Chevy truck. The motor has a dual plane Edelbrock manifold. Any suggestions as to which one is easier and better to set up? My truck is 90% street...

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
Quadrajets work good if its not a real early one that leaks thru the plugs inthe bottom {they can be epoxied closed}.The only thing is unless there is a manifold out I dont know about you have to use an adaptor to put them on which raises the carb up and theres not much room there for an air cleaner. The QJ gets better mileage and is better in real rough terrain. If you get them right they will run pretty good too. I guess it depends if you want to cut the hood or not which one you use. On my Edelbrock Performer intake witha 600 holley the air cleaner is right against the hood with the smallest air cleaner I could find.

OP
OP
N

NoAZ68

Loc.
Northern AZ
Thanks for the replies. I epoxied the plugs at the bottom (all 5 of them). The Q-jet seems to have no play in the throttle shafts, I have an adaptor also, but I seem to be missing the ball end to attach it to my throttle cable. Also, with the bottom plate off, if I open the primaries so that the secondaries open, the secondaries only open part way. There seems to be a stop that is bent so that this does not happen. Do I just bend that sucker straight to get full use of my secondaries?

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
Holly 4180

They are actually designed like that to even out the mixture to the front of the manifold under wide open conditions because the front holes are so small. Leave it alone, they work fine like that and you will cause a lean condition on the front cylinders when wide open. You must already have a hood scoop on yours, if not do some checking first with an air cleaner on the Qjet