• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Holley 4180 - won't idle........

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
In the past when I did 90's I made them out of hard line that I bent up myself and then used rubber hose as the interface on the end. This worked, but was not as clean as I'd hoped because I'm sure of the awkward location of the vacuum advance nipples on most vehicles.
But the factories have come up with a better solution that should also be readily available as an aftermarket replacement by now I would think. That's a molded rubber 90. Most modern vehicles at least that I've messed with were using plastic vacuum lines (instead of rubber) with variations on the pre-molded 90's of various shapes, sizes and cross-sections. But there are some that are just the right size for the metal lines that would be easy to use. Probably some plastic barbed thingies you could insert too, to mate up the female end of a rubber hose to the female end of the molded 90.
There may even be male 90's now too. I'm sure I have not seen them all.

Paul

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The little 90 degree hose Ford made for the vacuum modulator on C4 transmissions works well and looks OE because it is. Those plastic vacuum lines usually have a 90 degree at one end. These are tapered rubber that fits into rubber vacuum hose and they fit tightly over 1/4" nipples. Both the ported vacuum nipples on 4180s are pointed forward so the 90 is only needed at the vacuum advance. I've plugged the huge vent holes in the float bowls on some 4180s. But I may use brass fittings to replace the vent hoses with a Holley duel inlet prebent fuel line facing the fire wall and run a hose to the charcoal canister. Both the vents and canister were made for that and the fumes go back to the tank to be burned later, instead of stinking up garages etc.