• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

High Beam Gauge Cluster Wiring

msommer001

Stock 1977 Bronco Ranger.
The high beam indicator in my gauge cluster is on when the low beams are in and off when the high beams are on. Seems like some wiring is back wards.

Any recommendations to correct?
ac6bf53f9d588113e10f22c83445279e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
How is the dimmer switch wired? Just a thought, you might have the high/low wires reversed. Are the dimmer wires in a plug or individual connectors?

Jim

OP
OP
msommer001

msommer001

That was my first thought. They are wired to a plug and the plug connects to the switch. I can trace the wires and see. Might just be able to switch them at the plug.

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
Stock wire harness all the way to headlights, or has a relay headlight harness been added?

1699724036479.png

The heavy duty headlight harness I bought years ago had bad instructions.
It connected the red & green wires to the wrong wires on the Ford harness, causing low & high beams to be backwards.

Last edited:
OP
OP
msommer001

msommer001

Flipping the wires did not change anything. Not sure how the light at the gauge cluster is wired in…

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Flipping the wires did not change anything. Not sure how the light at the gauge cluster is wired in…

The light at the gage cluster is tied to circuit #12 in the harness. That is the green with black wires. It is always the green and black wires, and the wire that runs to the indicator bulb is also green with black. Green with Black is high beam.

If your low beams are illuminated when the green with black circuit is energized, there is something wrong with the wiring at the headlight. You say that your Bronco is "Stock 77 Ranger" If the low beams are on when the green /black is hot...then it isn't stock anymore.

If the low beams come on when the red-blk wire are hot, and the dash light is also on, something goofy has happened.

START at the headlight bulb. Put the dimmer switch in low beam. CONFIRM which circuit is active. Go to here https://seabiscuit68.tripod.com/images/75-77_combined_v1.gif and you can see the circuit.

OP
OP
msommer001

msommer001

Grounds are good.

I did some testing today and something got changed under the dash somewhere as both headlights function the same and the low beam is tied to the green with black stripe. High beam is tied to red. I traced back to under the dash and I am not sure I want to get too far into it with all these old wires and connector.

Might just have to wait until I need a new wire harness.

Thanks again for the information and recommendations, truly helpful!