• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help Me Create Build List

AFLtCol

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Guys,

About a moth ago I joined this forum for I had decided it's time to buy/build an EB. Since, I've looked at two, the first ($7.9K) was nice but I would've been paying mostly for a lot of things I was going to change. The second ($6K) seemed too much for one that had needed a lot of work, had rust issues, and was not even drivable. If only I had started my search earlier, for there's some some older/already sold listings of rolling EBs at a great price (if you got one for sale, I'm in the market).

As I mentioned in my intro, I would like to build one for daily driving...90% street use, 10% country gravel roads. Since i've never done this I would like any advice on creating my build list. My goal....a very streetable EB, uncut, small lift, with original hubcaps. Thinking Coyote 5.0 matched to a 6 spd auto. My friend who's a Ford manager threw out a couple more options, the new Boss 302 or a Roush motor. Should I go with a Krawler frame or should I use the original if in good shape?

So what would you suggest for my build list?

Thanks, Jerry

chandaman_05

Loc.
Provo, Utah
I've found that build lists are always WAY to lean. I started with one and just ditched it after 1 month because I was buying things that I wouldn't need for over a year now.. They're still sitting in my garage. I'd say just start tackling things one at a time.

Are you doing a frame off?
I'd start with sheet metal parts. Pans, fender aprons, cowls, etc are usually the first thing that get replaced due to them being rusted out so i'd start there with your list.

Look for areas that can be patched instead of replaced by a new piece of metal to save money.

With the body off, you can do frame work, suspension, axles, brakes, engine, tranny, and everything else chassis. So while the body is off, you can look at things you want to replace and purchase them.

I think you get where I'm going with this. Just start with one "task" at a time. Like metal repair, suspension, etc and buy all the parts you need for it and finish it. Then move on to the next task and then the next........

This is how i've been going and it's been working out great!

Also plan to spend about 2-3x more money than you expect....

OP
OP
AFLtCol

AFLtCol

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've found that build lists are always WAY to lean. I started with one and just ditched it after 1 month because I was buying things that I wouldn't need for over a year now.. They're still sitting in my garage. I'd say just start tackling things one at a time.

Are you doing a frame off?
I'd start with sheet metal parts. Pans, fender aprons, cowls, etc are usually the first thing that get replaced due to them being rusted out so i'd start there with your list.

Look for areas that can be patched instead of replaced by a new piece of metal to save money.

With the body off, you can do frame work, suspension, axles, brakes, engine, tranny, and everything else chassis. So while the body is off, you can look at things you want to replace and purchase them.

I think you get where I'm going with this. Just start with one "task" at a time. Like metal repair, suspension, etc and buy all the parts you need for it and finish it. Then move on to the next task and then the next........

This is how i've been going and it's been working out great!

Also plan to spend about 2-3x more money than you expect....

I plan on doing a frame off resto. plan to have it finished before moving again, so I have about 2 1/2 yrs to complete.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
I find the best way to figure this out is by the unit. engine, trans/t-case, f&r axles, body work, paint, all elec., interior. Decide what you might want to do with each then break each unit down to the parts. Don't forget to include things like EFI, battery, radiator, fluids, body panels, seats, bumpers and driveshafts

WASP1971

Loc.
Mary Esther, Florida
Your user name suggests you're an 0-5. Just buy one that's already done. I know you think you want to restore one but I'll bet if you get into the weeds of it you'll be wishing you had just paid someone else. I know if my pockets were deeper that's what I'd do. If I'm wrong and you're a die hard fix it type then more power to you and good luck!

OP
OP
AFLtCol

AFLtCol

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I was hoping to win a 67 Bronco on eBay today to start my build (67 is also the year I was born). I had to make a trip to DC this week and most of my time has been in meetings. I placed my opening bid this morning thinking it looked good since I was the only bider after 6 days on eBay. I had a 10 min break 33 mins before the end and saw someone had out-bid me by $50 dollars. I was getting ready for another meeting so I set my max $1,050 dollars above the winning bid, thinking that should get me my Bronco. About 5 mins after the closing, I came out of the meeting and found out I lost the Bronco to another bidder by $100 dollars. We were the only 2 bidders. Now I'm mad at myself for not setting my max higher and mad that I was tied up in a meeting. Lesson learned, and the hunt continues!

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
Bummer. its very common to have somebody shoot in and beat you on fleabay. As consolation, sometimes the seller has a shill bidder up the cost incrementally to squeeze more money out of you. Keep your chin up :)

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Bummer. its very common to have somebody shoot in and beat you on fleabay. As consolation, sometimes the seller has a shill bidder up the cost incrementally to squeeze more money out of you. Keep your chin up :)

Will be interesting to see if it gets listed again.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
You are luckly you didn't win that one. It was a pile. Keep looking. If you want to do a frame off resto look for a good sound body, little or no rust and a title that matches the frame number. Everything else can and most likely will be replaced or reworked. No paint is better than good paint.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
You are luckly you didn't win that one. It was a pile. Keep looking. If you want to do a frame off resto look for a good sound body, little or no rust and a title that matches the frame number. Everything else can and most likely will be replaced or reworked. No paint is better than good paint.

Are you familiar with that bronco?

OP
OP
AFLtCol

AFLtCol

Contributor
Bronco Guru

Can you tell me more why it was a pile? Did you see something in the pictures or do you know that Bronco? Just like to learn what to look out for during my search. Thanks!

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Can you tell me more why it was a pile? Did you see something in the pictures or do you know that Bronco? Just like to learn what to look out for during my search. Thanks!
I don't know anything about it and did not even see the picture. As you missed it anyway I was just trying to make you feel a little better but if you send a picture I will look

OP
OP
AFLtCol

AFLtCol

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don't know anything about it and did not even see the picture. As you missed it anyway I was just trying to make you feel a little better but if you send a picture I will look

Feeling better and back on the hunt. Thinking I'll wait till something locally catches my eye, I know they got to be out there.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
You are here in TX. Lots of EBs on ranches here. A customer brought a 66 in the other day that he paid $500 for including a trailer that he sold for $500. It has 43k miles and is very nice...Also many have never been lic. or reg. and the pink is loooong gone. But a bonded title is $400 so not too big a deal if the frame matches

OP
OP
AFLtCol

AFLtCol

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You are here in TX. Lots of EBs on ranches here. A customer brought a 66 in the other day that he paid $500 for including a trailer that he sold for $500. It has 43k miles and is very nice...Also many have never been lic. or reg. and the pink is loooong gone. But a bonded title is $400 so not too big a deal if the frame matches

Yes, I'm stationed at Randolph AFB, outside of San Antonio. Once I find a good candidate to buy I will be visiting BC Broncos to develop/implement my plan. I want to create a uncut, slightly lifted, modern driver. Want it to look "old school" but underneath have a coyote 5.0 with a 6 spd auto.

I keep searching Craigslist for most of Texas, is there a better way to locate a Bronco? I've been making weekend drives to the hill country but not seeing anything from the road. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

shamu

Lucky as the day is long.
Loc.
Sachse,Tx
Hey Guys,

About a moth ago I joined this forum for I had decided it's time to buy/build an EB. Since, I've looked at two, the first ($7.9K) was nice but I would've been paying mostly for a lot of things I was going to change. The second ($6K) seemed too much for one that had needed a lot of work, had rust issues, and was not even drivable. If only I had started my search earlier, for there's some some older/already sold listings of rolling EBs at a great price (if you got one for sale, I'm in the market).

As I mentioned in my intro, I would like to build one for daily driving...90% street use, 10% country gravel roads. Since i've never done this I would like any advice on creating my build list. My goal....a very streetable EB, uncut, small lift, with original hubcaps. Thinking Coyote 5.0 matched to a 6 spd auto. My friend who's a Ford manager threw out a couple more options, the new Boss 302 or a Roush motor. Should I go with a Krawler frame or should I use the original if in good shape?

So what would you suggest for my build list?

Thanks, Jerry

Are you friends with Brian Sykora in the town of West?

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Check with the LEBC and e-mail jason he has people call him regularly wanting to sale. We pass the info along also look at them free if you want to bring one out or send a bunch of pictures. Also Jim Holley near Dallas has around 100 EBs

OP
OP
AFLtCol

AFLtCol

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Check with the LEBC and e-mail jason he has people call him regularly wanting to sale. We pass the info along also look at them free if you want to bring one out or send a bunch of pictures. Also Jim Holley near Dallas has around 100 EBs

What does LEBC stand for?