• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hei/msd ignition

Vragor

Loc.
Colorado Springs
I can give an example of one HEI failure. I'm running a DUI from BC Broncos. The magnetic pickup built into the distributor went bad and gave very wierd symptoms. The timing kept changing. I bought a replacement pickup and spent several hours carefully trying to change it. You have to pull the distributor, knock out several pins and take the whole thing apart.

It has now run for 16 months and is starting to act up again. If its the distributor again, I'm going to switch distributors. Probably back to the original with a pertronix.

Another note on the HEI, it is so tall I had to cut out part of my hood supports to make it fit. I don't have a body lift. I wonder whether its so tall that it sometimes hits the underside of the hood and maybe that shock is what's causing the failures.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171670

Last edited: