• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Can a MSD ignition work with a HEI (Davis Unified Ignition) Distributor?

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
DUI does not need a control module/box or crank trigger

It's a true one wire hookup with the control components in the cap.

It's recommended by Davis to run full 12 volts to the distributer. I have it wired up in that fashion on my 66. In other words the resister wire in the stock harness needs to be eliminated or bypassed

I have the dui in my 66 wired into a painless aux fuse box(relay type) to bypass the resister wire.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Anyone running this type of application?

It can be done. Takes away from the 1-wire hookup. Basicly ditch the original HEI module inside the distributor. Run the trigger wires out of the body and to the MSD box. Ditch the instructions for the power and tach terminals on the distributor and replace them with the coil wires from the MSD box (positive to batt terminal, neg to tach terminal). Wire battery and switched ignition to the MSD box and go.

But with all that, I would just run a Duraspark and seperate coil with MSD instead.