• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Who has installed an HEI distributor?

LSUpete

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I’m wondering if an HEI style distributor will fit under a stock hood if the Bronco does have a 1” body lift.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Or you can cut up the hood.
Pretty well known that they hit the hood brace.
The quality control on anything less than a DUI brand is known to be really poor as well. Typically breaking the shaft, which isn't anything you can find at any parts store.
There are better options out there.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
12y with one my on my 71', used mostly on the trail. It's been in brutal trail conditions especially with high temperatures outdoors in the 90⁰-100⁰ range, zero issues. Need a body lift or hood mod or aftermarket hood to clear though.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I had to notch the hood brace on the 66 with a 351w but don't remember if it was before or after the 1" body lift. I've been running the dui units in both broncos for years. I did have to replace one module about 20 years in. Other than that they've worked great.

migs

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I’ve had a $100 HEI special on mine for four years now, before that I had a similar cheapo distributor where the module was down in the distributor body and the coil was separate. Well, that module failed and you basically have to disassemble the whole distributor just to get to it, so that’s what prompted the swap…now I can just replace those electronic parts right under the cap.
I went cheap originally because I had plans of swapping in a Holley unit that the sniper could control the timing of, but it’s been running so well I just haven’t got around to it or thought of it as much.

The Bronco has a 1” body lift, a 5.0 from an explorer with stock style engine mounts and transmission crossmember and mounts.
There is actually a little bit of space left between the plug wires/cap and the stock hood crossmember and I don’t see any signs of it rubbing.
I stuck the camera in there and got a couple shots with the hood closed.

02D3823A-EA97-4C43-9A50-EC219A4B8ED7.jpeg 18F7113A-05DD-4D33-8289-8863353EE3CF.jpeg 11027010-87BC-4502-A733-0FDBBB9162AB.png B6F01EDD-6DEC-4BB0-8ABA-DCA510409780.png

pinky

Spend the money for a quality unit. MSD, Pertronics etc. My brother has a restoration shop and I have replaced more of these then anything else. I would also recommend a stock distributor with a Pertronics module in it. We do this more than anything and most customers are very happy. The MSD is the most tunable unit. You can set the advance and stops to what you are looking to achieve with the motor.

pocketlock

I have one of the $80 A-Team performance ones from amazon, works great and clears well with my 1"body lift.