• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

has anyone made their own hood shocks?

JoeLat

Just be careful to brace you hood where they attach. If you search about the subject you will find that some hoods were bent by the shocks at the attach point. I have never installed any.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
you need to match the gas spring pressure to the weight of the hood.
too much, you'll tear the hood up, to little it won't lift.

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
i did. i got pic's of it all in my gallery. my newer hood was in much better shape so all i did was run two brace's from the tops of the middle stock bracing...stiffed that hood right up! ;D my shocks wont lift the hood up(maybe cus there old?) but it holds it up good.. but it dont sag down or anything. the hood's been up now for 3 weeks and its still all the way up.. think mine are 35psi a shock. so fiberglass you yould want those or the 25psi shocks.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
I have made a couple sets for diff. vehicles. That being said, while saving about half the price it is much easier to just buy a set already made for your application. Bronco hoods are pretty flimsy and the wrong lb. shocks will screw them up.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
hood shocks

This answer your Question??

Cost me 5 bucks each at the UJerk yard
Nissan van rear hatch shocks.
Easy to fit as they came with the brackets to mount
TOFIC

Attachments

• Hoodshock.jpg.JPG
    Hoodshock.jpg.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 83
  • hoodshock1.JPG
    hoodshock1.JPG
    227.3 KB · Views: 84
  • Hoodshock5.jpg.JPG
    Hoodshock5.jpg.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 68

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
This answer your Question??

Cost me 5 bucks each at the UJerk yard
Nissan van rear hatch shocks.
Easy to fit as they came with the brackets to mount
TOFIC
how far from the top of the grill to the top of your hood? and what langth are those? and how hard is it to push it down? mine work but i want it up higher.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
how far from the top of the grill to the top of your hood? and what langth are those? and how hard is it to push it down? mine work but i want it up higher.

How far from top of grill to top of hood??
Haven't measured but my 6'4" neighbor does NOT bang his head on anything. That answer your question?? Also there is no obstruction in my way when I am wrench bending under the hood. That is really nice!!
What length are they??
I believe they are 24 inch, can't say right now, but they are the standard Nissan Quest van rear hatch lift shocks. Never thought to measure to be honest with you
Hard to push down??
A little but when I pull the hood release ( I have Chucks in cab hood realease) the hood opens itself, That is really nice.
Yours work but want it higher??
Mount yours closer to the firewall or go down to the UJerk yard and get some rear lift shocks. I have looked at a dozen different vans and they all would work just the Nissan has the best mounting hardware.
TOFIC

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
if i mount it back any farther they bind up and the hood wont shut. i think mine is about the same height as yours. im 6'2'' and its still sky high lol