• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hard start after carb rebuild

Bruduf

My carb was leaking after shutting off the engine so i got a rebuild kit from napa took it all apart soaked it blew out all the holes reassembled. Cold starts now require alot of cranking and more than the usual 2 pumps of gas pedal. It runs great after it starts wondering if i missed a check valve. The choke is closed . 170 cubic inch 6 1970 thanks in advance carter carb

Rangerbj

I believe if no gas is leaking from gaskets then check needle and seat to be sure not draining back to tank. I’m no expert

Bronco-Brian

Contributor
Loc.
Lake Oswego, OR
Make sure to check that accelerator pump squirts fuel to the venturi when you step on the throttle (cold engine and hot engine) - also check function when choke is closed. Sometimes the closed position choke linkage limits the accelerator stroke. Lastly, make sure your fuel pump check is working. If the fuel drains back down to fuel pump (or lines), it may take several revolutions to bring fuel back to the carb after sitting.

1marteck

If the accelerator pump does not squirt. You possibly left out the steel check ball or weight underneath it under venturi cluster assembly screw. The inlet check valve is the neoprene rubber snaps into the Fuel bowl.