• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Got my 72 running and its got a significant ticking noise. Best way to diagnose?

randbjorn

Contributor
This 72 hasn't ran in approx 8-10 years. Got it running/driving today but it has a pretty significant ticking noise. Lots of power and idles really nice. I think the block is original but if I had to guess its been rebuilt. It seems to be coming more from the driver side than the passenger side. Definitely not an exhaust leak. I can turn a wrench but im definitely not an engine pro by any stretch. Any direction someone can give that might help me diagnose the problem would be much appreciated. Noise can be heard clearly in the video so take a listen and let me know your thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG_2074.MOV
    57.5 MB

Wild horse 75

Loc.
BC
My guess would be a lifter tick. Since it’s been sitting so long it may cure itself after you run it for a while. Check and make sure you’ve got good oil pressure. If you haven’t already change the oil.

OP
OP
randbjorn

randbjorn

Contributor
My guess would be a lifter tick. Since it’s been sitting so long it may cure itself after you run it for a while. Check and make sure you’ve got good oil pressure. If you haven’t already change the oil.
Oil pressure seems to be good according to the gauge (at least, it actually moves after starting). Will do on the oil change. I was thinking valve train issue of some kind based on a couple searches. Any chance I can hurt it by running it? Dam thing has tons of power. I'm sure some of its gearing but it roasted 35's like it was nothing...Alegedly😬

Last edited:

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
X 2 on lifter ticking. Not sure that good oil pressure would preclude a single lifter from ticking. The oil pump is pumping like it should and not sure it even “knows” if a lifter is not oiling properly….or I may be completely wrong.

Randy

Wild horse 75

Loc.
BC
The lifters most likely bled down sitting for so long. Idling it shouldn’t hurt anything. I don’t think I’d go drag racing around the block like that. It will take a bit of time to get the air out. If the noise persists you’ll have to pull a valve cover and make sure you’re getting oil up top.

OP
OP
randbjorn

randbjorn

Contributor
Thank you for the advice. I'm going to start with the oil change this morning and go from there.

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
back in the day we used to add some transmission fluid to the oil and run it for a while before the oil change. it would help clean things up a bit and quiet down the valve train if noisy/ticking).

OP
OP
randbjorn

randbjorn

Contributor
X 2 on lifter ticking. Not sure that good oil pressure would preclude a single lifter from ticking. The oil pump is pumping like it should and not sure it even “knows” if a lifter is not oiling properly….or I may be completely wrong.

Randy
Thanks Randy. Im sure I don't know what the problem is but I'll change the oil and 🤞. Engine compartment is real dirty so I'll pressure wash it, pull the valve covers and see if there is an obvious problem if the noise doesn't get any better.

Wild horse 75

Loc.
BC
Using some sort of a flush isn’t a bad idea. It’ll help loosen up any gunk that may be stuck in there. It won’t hurt anything as long as you follow the directions.

blade

Contributor
Maker of sharp things
Loc.
Santa Fe
I would pull the valve covers before running it more. My 74 sat for a long time without being started, when I got it going again it had a dead cylinder. I couldn't figure out why until I pulled the valve cover and found a damaged pushrod. Luckily for me nothing else was hurt. I think the valve must have been stuck when I first started it and damaged the rod.

OP
OP
randbjorn

randbjorn

Contributor
I would pull the valve covers before running it more. My 74 sat for a long time without being started, when I got it going again it had a dead cylinder. I couldn't figure out why until I pulled the valve cover and found a damaged pushrod. Luckily for me nothing else was hurt. I think the valve must have been stuck when I first started it and damaged the rod.
That's going to be next. Did the long screwdriver (prybar actually) trick and it's definitely coming from the driver side. Amazing how well you can hear the drivetrain that way. I wanted to change the oil and get everything cleaned up under the hood before I start taking anything apart. Its not perfect but its waaay better than it was. Hopefully I'll have time today to get the cover off of the driver side and have a look. The wiring in this thing needs some attention next.

Attachments

• IMG_2055.jpeg
    IMG_2055.jpeg
    301.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2081.jpeg
    IMG_2081.jpeg
    276.7 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Wild horse 75

Loc.
BC
The fact that it runs put you ahead. Even with the tick you know the wiring is good. And the fuel system is good.

OP
OP
randbjorn

randbjorn

Contributor
Success!!! Pulled the driver side valve cover and immediately found one rocker stud nut that I could turn by hand. The rest started moving at between 4- 5lbs of force. I found another post on here that 17-23lb was the spec so I re-torqued all of the driver side and put it back together. Fired her up and blessed silence! Gonna pull the pass side and double check them as soon as I get a chance. Anything else I should be considering besides making sure they're all torqued correctly?

Attachments

• IMG_2083.jpeg
    IMG_2083.jpeg
    233.6 KB · Views: 24

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
If you can isolated the lifter you can loosen the rockers nut and spray carb cleaner down the pushrod. This can free up the metering valve. I have heard but never experienced ATF freeing up junk that then causes other problems on high mileage engines.