• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

got my bronco running.

Edger6

Loc.
Hampton,
So I have had my bronco for just about a year now. When I first got it ran but quit a few days later. So last weekend I spent some time working on it. One of my neighbors has a 69 stang and recenty did some upgrades, so I bought his used stuff, eldenbrock. performer. 4 barrel intake, to match up with 750 cf carb I bought a while ago. Hei dist. And she fired right up. It was only after we installed the dist that she fired up. So drove it around the block and some short trip to parts store. Came home and the engi e started knocking no oil pressure. Pulled the dist could she the shaft, but when I tryed to pull it out it fell. Off come the pan, fun times. Shaft was in two pices. New pump new gaskets. Then today new alt. My volt gauge shake like crazy is this normal. It is the stock gauge.

I still need a ton of bodywork done. But I can drive for now,

joshuar6447

Loc.
spotsylvania
well one it could have been the wrong gear for the dizzy. depends on if you have a roller motor. also 750 thats alot of carb for a 302. as for the volt meter, which alt did you put on it? hmm

but on a completely different note congrats. it feels good doesn't it. I got mine running not to long ago backed it out of the garage. and thats about it. but it was amazing.

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Congrats on getting it running. Oil pump shafts can be fun to get back in. They either go in right the first time or it takes you 2 hours.

But you need to figure out why the first shaft broke or it may happen again, and this time it will certainly be 100 miles from home.

How old is the engine? Other than the recent parts is it fairly fresh? Did you find any debris in the pump when you took it off? How's are the timing gears? The originals came with a plastic coating that gets old, cracks and releases chunks of plastic into the oil system that can bind up the oil pump. This is from first hand experience. :)

OP
OP
E

Edger6

Loc.
Hampton,
Stock alt just a cheap replacment from autozone. When I pulled the pan i was kind of suprized that I did not see to much build up or anything in it. From looking underneath at the bottom end of the motor everthing look good from as much as I can tell. As far as the motor goes I have no clue. Od reads 95k. But i dont know if its been rolled at all. I think this is the original motor. Im pretty sure the reason why the shaft broke was becasuse it was not set in right and it did not have the retaining pin on it. The timing gears need to be replaced as there is a lot of slack in the chain.

Everyone is saying that the 750 is a lot of carb, and for the most part I dont see to many people on here using that large of a carb. I took the the truck down to 7 11 this mourning. Comeing home I steped on it a bit just to see how everthing would react. And I was quite suprized a how well the truck responed and got up to speed. The carb was something I could not pass up. I paid. 100 dollars for it. It also was not my plan to put it on this motor, it will be going on my 351w. Wich will have a mild cam and possibly a small bore just freshen everthing up. What kind of problems will I have haveing to big of a carb.

The truck it self needs a lot of work, the rear supension has very little movement in it so im affarid to take the truck far I think the springs are shot. The real kicker is I prestty much have two broncos right now. I have a redone chassis. Sitting with JD ultimate 3.5 lift. 351 in middle of tear down. zf waiting
for cross member. And another body thats in pretty bad shape.

But yes it feels great to drive it around even if it is only a couple of miles. Wife and I even took it to the grocey store the other day. Im still getting used to starting a truck with a carb. Never had one before and so used to fi just get in a hit the key.

joshuar6447

Loc.
spotsylvania
I'm sure the carb works fine. Google cfm calculator. You would be surprised how small carbs they recommend. It's all about tuning. Just dumping fuel and air down a motor make more hp. Post up some pics.