• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Garage Organization Motivation

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hey Guys,

I realize this a pretty vague request, and something that I should be able to figure out on my own. I'm not making any headway, so I'm looking for some inspiration.

I am trying to come up with the best plan for organizing the garage. After buying our 2nd Bronco last winter, my wife's car and my truck have stayed in the driveway. No big deal for me; but, my wife would like her space back.

Ideally we will have her car (Malibu) and my truck (Silverado crew cab) parked in the double door side of the garage. A Bronco will be in the 3rd spot behind a single door. I'll use the double car side for any major work or welding, a few days at a time, when needed.

I've purchased general word working tools over the years (including a table saw), a compressor, a large shop vac, a power washer and a lot of hand tools. Since buying our first Bronco I've kind of switched gears to metal... a used Hobart welder, an old drill press, a 20 ton press, and other stuff that has come in handy.

And then there are the spare parts for the Broncos, and the stuff that came with the Broncos that hasn't been installed or sold.

There's just too much to organize. I hate throwing anything away, or selling if I think there will ever be a use for it. (Yes... I know... My wife has already volunteered me for Hoarders.)

For anyone who has been stuck in neutral with this kind of thing... how do you get started? How far do you go?

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Jeff

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
Do you have room for a shed. If you get a nice one you would not have to worry about critters or moisture getting to your stuff and you could get the larger items out of the garage (spare parts, table saw and so forth).
I have a large shop attached to my two car garage but still have a medium size shed for yard tools, snow tires and bicycles.

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hey badmuttstang,

That would be a great option... our covenants won't allow a shed, even if it is a nice one.

I would sure like to make the layout work with the tools and vehicles... just not sure it's going to be practical. I might need to consider leaving the truck out indefinitely. I'm also not sure of the best way to organize the larger tools.... place them where I'll use them, or keep them out of the way (as much as possible) and move into place when I need them?

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

Jeff

ransil

Bronco Guru
I started in a 25x25 2 car garage then I built a 36x60 garage
my f-250 and VW are still sitting out side..

I have started selling stuff unloading the bronco parts I have been storing for 20 years, but I keep buy stuff too..

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
Understandable I have a lot of friends where the neighborhood will not allow certain things to be built but is there the possibility of adding on to you garage and making look like it part of the original property. My first garage set up was like ransil's size wise and had a garage port attached. my new one was just a one car garage and a shop that was built 15 years ago so the neighborhood could not say anything about it but when I wanted to extend the garage they pitched a fit. I did finally get them to except it as they dint want my projects all over the street. so I extended mine back to the shop. sorry this is so long but my point is if you can make it look like part of the original property some communities will allow it plus getting your neighborers to sign something approving the plans makes it a-lot easier.
Do you have any over head space that could be turned into storage at least for parts? Or room to build benches that are tall enough to put you larger tools under.
As for getting motivated I understand that and it usually takes me not finding something or having to move parts around to get to that one little part I need to make me clean and reorganize. When I do I look at all the parts I have and make a list of what I know I will need and what I will possible never need or replace with something new. Then at least I can look at the list and know if someones looking for a part to buy weather I have it or not. Just my two cents.

RolledItAgain

Modivation: ;D

You can fit more cars.
IMG_0080-1.jpg

Last edited:

shamu

Lucky as the day is long.
Loc.
Sachse,Tx
My wife says go vertical. If your ceilings are tall enough build a shelf on steroids that will hold all of your wood working equipment. Or get a pallet rack. Any pics of your garage area?

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
Do you have 9' or higher ceilings in your garage? Mine are 9' so I built shelves above the garage door, to the left and right of the garage door opener mount. I also build them along the side walls just above the garage door tracks. There's a lot of usable wasted space up there. My two stall has a small 5' x 8' extension off the end of one stall. So i built a lowerd ceiling over this space, which gave me a 20" tall, 5' x 8' place to store full sheets of plywood and other things. Below this lowered ceiling, I hung some used kitchen cabinets around two walls and an L shaped work bench below the cabinets, attached to the walls. Under the long section of the work bench. I have a roll around bench that can be moved around the garage were needed. I use it all the time. It also has drawers for tools and stuff. Some where on my other PC I have some pic's. When I get back to it, I'll post some pic's.

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hey,

You guys are great!

I'm already thinking about your suggestions, and how they can work with our set-up. That's the kind of motivation I needed.

In the past the garage hasn't seen much activity during the winter months. A few years ago I bought a propane heater; but, it was probably more of an energy waster because in order to use it, one of the doors had to be cracked a little. Last year my wife bought me a portable electric heater that worked pretty well. I have a lot to do to the '70... and as much as I dread winter, it it a great time to get work done inside.

I found a welding table that I will pick up today that I need to find space for. Then I need to get rid of the smaller aluminum table/cabinet I have now.

I'll respond to your posts individually.. but, I did want to say thanks first.

I'll get some pics posted once I get things out of the way so that it's easier to see.

Jeff

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
HI ransil,

I started in a 25x25 2 car garage then I built a 36x60 garage
my f-250 and VW are still sitting out side..

I have started selling stuff unloading the bronco parts I have been storing for 20 years, but I keep buy stuff too..

Thanks for the post.

I know what you mean about buying stuff... I always have trouble passing up anything that may be useful in the future.

Jeff

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi badmuttstang,

Understandable I have a lot of friends where the neighborhood will not allow certain things to be built but is there the possibility of adding on to you garage and making look like it part of the original property. My first garage set up was like ransil's size wise and had a garage port attached. my new one was just a one car garage and a shop that was built 15 years ago so the neighborhood could not say anything about it but when I wanted to extend the garage they pitched a fit. I did finally get them to except it as they dint want my projects all over the street. so I extended mine back to the shop. sorry this is so long but my point is if you can make it look like part of the original property some communities will allow it plus getting your neighborers to sign something approving the plans makes it a-lot easier.

It would be a huge deal to extend/modify the garage. The cost would be high, and I'm not sure I could justify it. I found an enclosed storage garage that I'm using at the moment for one of the Broncos.... it is kind of a waste of money for a long term option; but, at least I have time to plan. We would really like to relocate to Moab (not just for the wheeling), and we're not getting any younger. We are already mentally moving in that direction, so major changes here re on the back burner.

Do you have any over head space that could be turned into storage at least for parts? Or room to build benches that are tall enough to put you larger tools under.

I already have overhead shelves across part of the garage... I'll post pics soon. More benches are probably a good idea.

As for getting motivated I understand that and it usually takes me not finding something or having to move parts around to get to that one little part I need to make me clean and reorganize. When I do I look at all the parts I have and make a list of what I know I will need and what I will possible never need or replace with something new. Then at least I can look at the list and know if someones looking for a part to buy weather I have it or not. Just my two cents.

I get pretty frustrated when I know I have something and I can't find it. (Same story with my office area.) The problem is that when I find something I probably should have gotten rid of before, it makes me want to keep everything else. It makes it that much harder to get rid of. Reorganization would be good... I like your suggestion about the list.

Thanks

Jeff

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi Shamu,

My wife says go vertical. If your ceilings are tall enough build a shelf on steroids that will hold all of your wood working equipment. Or get a pallet rack. Any pics of your garage area?

Shelves are probably the best bet. I have quite a few now... probably not the best layout or design though as I tried to buy stuff off-the-shelf (pardon the pun). I probably need to step back and make a clean start.

I believe the cielings are 9' (or close).

I'll post pics later this weekend.

Thanks for your input.

Jeff

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hey gnsteam,

Do you have 9' or higher ceilings in your garage? Mine are 9' so I built shelves above the garage door, to the left and right of the garage door opener mount. I also build them along the side walls just above the garage door tracks. There's a lot of usable wasted space up there. My two stall has a small 5' x 8' extension off the end of one stall. So i built a lowerd ceiling over this space, which gave me a 20" tall, 5' x 8' place to store full sheets of plywood and other things. Below this lowered ceiling, I hung some used kitchen cabinets around two walls and an L shaped work bench below the cabinets, attached to the walls. Under the long section of the work bench. I have a roll around bench that can be moved around the garage were needed. I use it all the time. It also has drawers for tools and stuff. Some where on my other PC I have some pic's. When I get back to it, I'll post some pic's.

I'll look forward to seeing your pics.

The ceilings in our garage are about 9'. I will post a pic of the shelf I build across the back of the two car bay when we moved in about 26 years ago. I haven't changed them since. (I know I need to week out some of the stuff that I have stored.)

I like the idea of the cabinets, too. One of our neighbors used cabinets in their garage, too. It's a pretty clean way to do things.

My son already thinks I'm too nerdy (related to being an engineer). He wasn't surprised when we were in the ER two weeks ago (he somehow scratched his eye), and I became attracted to these large rolling storage units in the exam room. They were probably 7' tall, 6' or 8' wide, and a couple feet deep. They were on heavy duty rubber casters, and they had drawers/bins, and other storage spaces. I was thinking how great they would be for the garage. Probably well out of my price range, though.

Thanks for taking the time to share what you have.

I'm getting excited to make things better!

Jeff

ransil

Bronco Guru
i just installed pallet racking 2 weeks ago that way i can justify the use of the fork lift I just got.

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hey ransil,

i just installed pallet racking 2 weeks ago that way i can justify the use of the fork lift I just got.

I'm sure any forklifts in this household would come with divorce papers.

The two Broncos are stretching it... more toys for the garage would spell trouble.

Jeff

shamu

Lucky as the day is long.
Loc.
Sachse,Tx
Okay here is what to do and what not to do. And yes I am a border line hoarder. %)
My garage is 890 sf. with 10 foot ceilings. The left side always has three broncos. The right side is for Cindy's car. (note to self do not use her area).
So good luck with your venture and maybe we can be in a dual episode on HOARDERS.

Attachments

• Garage 001.jpg
    Garage 001.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 137
  • Garage 002.jpg
    Garage 002.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 142
  • Garage 003.jpg
    Garage 003.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 142
  • Garage 004.jpg
    Garage 004.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 145

migs

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Hey shamu...what do you do with just a bottom half of a milling maching??:?
looks like it has a power feed on it too.

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hey shamu,

Okay here is what to do and what not to do. And yes I am a border line hoarder. %)
My garage is 890 sf. with 10 foot ceilings. The left side always has three broncos. The right side is for Cindy's car. (note to self do not use her area).
So good luck with your venture and maybe we can be in a dual episode on HOARDERS.

Thanks for the pics.

I fully appreciate the art of collecting (sometimes misidentified as hoarding).

My wife had to chuckle today... so much for me organizing the garage. I went to pick up a little bit bigger welding table I saw on Craigslist. My son is out of town, and my neighbors are slightly challenged with heavy physical tasks. The guy I bought it from had three guys help load it. NOW I CAN'T GET IT OUT OF MY TRUCK.

Oh well.... there's tomorrow.

Jeff

ransil

Bronco Guru
Hey shamu,

Thanks for the pics.

I fully appreciate the art of collecting (sometimes misidentified as hoarding).

My wife had to chuckle today... so much for me organizing the garage. I went to pick up a little bit bigger welding table I saw on Craigslist. My son is out of town, and my neighbors are slightly challenged with heavy physical tasks. The guy I bought it from had three guys help load it. NOW I CAN'T GET IT OUT OF MY TRUCK.

Oh well.... there's tomorrow.

Jeff

this is where a forklift comes in handy.. ;D

just keep getting the wife to help you then start suggesting a forklift would be nice and she will agree and let you get one.