• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Garage

Fry

I’m in the market to build a garage structure in my back yard to lock my 1976 bronco in. While looking online to have something built I’m unsure on what dimensions I should go. Anyone build a free standing structure to keep their bronco in? If so would you suggest, 12x 16 or 12x20? I’m currently looking at the tuff sheds

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
If you can swing it, 20X20 is the smallest size I would recommend. My shop is 14X42 and it would be big enough if I’d quit buying crap 💩. Below pics for evidence. Lol

Randy

Attachments

• IMG_2675.jpeg
    IMG_2675.jpeg
    360.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2674.jpeg
    IMG_2674.jpeg
    382.6 KB · Views: 44
OP
OP
F

Fry

I got a limited amount of yard to work with . What’s the minimum y’all think I can get away with ?

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
I had a 20x20 2-car garage on my last house. It wasn’t really usable for parking “regular” sized vehicles.

24x24 is my target and gets you 2 spots with one of those (or both) available for a lift. The 24x24 also leaves enough room all around to open doors and work.

Once I know my kids’ college choice (tuition known), I’ll get more serious about building one. For now, I’m limited to a 3-car attached.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
It will fit in a 12x20 well enough. As others have stated go as big as you can afford, fit and allowed by any HOA and/or local ordnances. I built a lot of vehicles in a 12x20

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
It will fit in a 12x20 well enough. As others have stated go as big as you can afford, fit and allowed by any HOA and/or local ordnances. I built a lot of vehicles in a 12x20
Go as big as you can never to much shop (mine 36X36 2 10 foot doors ) good luck with your choice. Bill

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
I got a limited amount of yard to work with . What’s the minimum y’all think I can get away with ?
Get a tape measure, open both doors and check the tape, measure the length and add two feet on both ends (walk around room). That should be your minimum??? If you can go
larger do it!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

BruiserOutdoors

I have a 20x20 garage, doable if you are only do bronco stuff. I also have a 10x20 and it is tight but better than nothing. Width is more valuable to me than length, broncos are like 13' long. Being able to roll an axle out or open your doors completely is more important to me.

My engine builder has proven that you don't need fancy car lifts and big spaces to build badass cars. Work with what you've got.

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
I have a 24 wide x 32 long and one 10 foot door. It can easily fit 2 cars, but if you have a work bench on either side of the wall it makes it difficult to get out of the door. If I back the Bronco all the way back on one side and move my desk chair to the back of the other side I can squeeze my Raptor in. I'm in the pre-pre-pre planning stages of building a 40x60 building. Just waiting on approval from the wife!

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
Park your bronco where you want the building. Use cones, rocks, sticks or whatever and drop around the outside of the bronco when you have the walking room you need for moving around it. You can start with putting down a 12'x16' box then a 12'x20' to see how it fits the space and the bronco. Adjust as needed. Needs for just parking are different than a work space with a vehicle in it.

In short don't guess, layout and measure. No one here can see the spot you have and how much walk around you need.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
I have a 24 wide x 32 long and one 10 foot door. It can easily fit 2 cars, but if you have a work bench on either side of the wall it makes it difficult to get out of the door. If I back the Bronco all the way back on one side and move my desk chair to the back of the other side I can squeeze my Raptor in. I'm in the pre-pre-pre planning stages of building a 40x60 building. Just waiting on approval from the wife!
When we were finishing out half of our basement, My spouse asked me several times a week “have you asked them for a quote on your shop”. As soon as the shop was completed, I got issued the directive to get all my stuff out of the garage. I was fortunately able to have her blessings early on.

Randy

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
AS big as you can!!!
My last house had a 20x 12' single car garage. It was just big enough to get the bronco in and walk around it, the width was really too narrow to do any major work in but was better than nothing if you are just trying to keep it out of the weather.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Sounds like you are after a hard car cover more than a work space. So I will go off that idea instead of the typical workshop response I see.

In my local area I can do up to 199 sqft shed without a permit. Go larger or add utilities, permit is needed. Check your local area. For me I would do 10x19 just to skirt permits.

If I had to go permits no matter what, 10 or 12 by 24. The width is a bit large until you think about shear loads. Do an 8' wide door opening and you have very little shear (keep the garage door from racking) even with 10'. My choice would be 12' and offset the garage door a little to one side. Say 3' on one side and 1' on the other. The 3' will offer better shear loading for the structure. And better access to get in/out of the vehicle. And better storage for other things.

Speaking of storing other things, at the front of the garage I would do an oversized man door. 42/48" wide. This would let me store and access stuff in front of the vehicle. Lawn mower, wheel barrow, etc. This is also why I would stretch the garage to 24'. Even later if you place something besides the Bronco in there there will still be room. Some larger vehicles are pushing 20' mark. 24' will let you park nearly anything in there and still have room for other things.

The smallest I would go for is 10x20. You really can't park anything you care about in less than 10'. You better be skinny to squeeze through the door. Less than 20' and you are severely limiting what the storage is good for later. Go to sell the house, hard to call it a detached garage when it is too short to store a normal vehicle in.

Even if you are not conditioning the space, insulate it. Use an insulated garage door. Insulation in the walls. Does wonders for basic thermal managment.

The thing I have against most of the pre-built tuff shed type storage buildings is the wood floor. For vehicle storage I much prefer a slab.

Reactions: Fry

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

Definitely keep in mind HOA rules, permits etc