• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fun with a J-shift D 20

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
One of the benefits of being turtle slow is that it gives you time to think about 'How'm I gonna do that?' Case in point is the J-shifter for the Dana 20. I started pondering on what TC shifter to use a few years back and bought a few T-shift and J-shift linkages to aid in the decision-making process. I nixed the JB Fab twin stick option due to 1) being too much Dutch, and 2) there's already one on every street corner.

I took all three of the J-shift linkages I had apart and evaluated the good and bad of each and decided to try going with an over-sized 5/16 hardened dowel. First, I selected the cupped mounting bracket that came closest to fitting a 5/16, one that was close, but no cigar. I then took a round fine file and cleaned up a few burrs so that the dowel fit nice and snug. I then selected a shift lever that was not overly warn out. Next, I used a Dremel and a file to make the ball socket groove wide enough to accommodate a 5/16 dowel. I 'snuck up' on it so as to not end up back where I started. Then I put the pieces and parts back together and it seemed to work fine, just fine! I tried to video how much smoother and tighter it was, but wound up with video of my shoe. Took the pieces apart again for painting and called it a day. Howard in Beautiful West Michigan.
View attachment 877145 View attachment 877146

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
wow, interesting engineering Howard! And super glad the work seems to have paid off. Interesting concept for sure, and can't wait to hear further updates as it gets used.
Never spent much time with J-shifts (fortunately I suppose?) but know that most of them are wacky and whacked. Did drive one particularly beat up looking '73 a guy was selling and it had to have the most precise and smooth shifting J-shift I've ever driven! Too bad that's the exception rather than the norm.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So the video of your shoe does not have much shifter content in it? Definitely post up when you have time to make another one.

Paul

OP
OP
Howard2x4x4

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks Paul! So far, so good. Looking forward to tomorrow and putting it back together.

OP
OP
Howard2x4x4

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here's the last of the pics, now get some popcorn ready...... 20220223_113940.jpg 20220223_113940.jpg 20220223_141421.jpg 20220223_141421.jpg

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I liked my J Shifter and only switched to twin sticks so I could replace the C4 with a NV3550.
My feeling is that most people don't know how to shift the J Shifter properly, and get annoyed. You need to make the shifts between 2Hi and 4Hi with the car rolling, blip the throttle and make the shift.
Some think that the J Shifter is to blame when the transfer case gets stuck in 4 Lo, but that's just a result of the different front & rear axle ratios and square cut transfer case gears. The shifter's not to blame for that.

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Well, frankly. I am glad to hear your response blubuckaroo. I thought I was in possession of a unicorn or something. But I have found that the J-shifter on our 76 is about the easiest T-case shifter I have ever used. Goes in and comes out without drama every time. Can't say that about the the previous T-case handle . All you do is make sure everything is unbound at the end of the trail and it works like a charm. J-shifters are the berries, even though everybody complains migthily about them. They must not be holding their tongues right, if you know what I mean.