• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Front Disc Conversion New Hubs?

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
Almost 10 years to the day since I ordered a conversion kit from Jeff's Bronco I am preparing to install the kit. I assume I need to install mew hubs as well, as I see it mentioned that stock hubs will not work with this conversion kit. What kind of hubs do I need to purchase, it mentions Warn or Mile Marker hubs. Is there a certain thing I am looking for or do I just search 1973 Bronco replacement hubs?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
What conversion is this? The stock locking hubs will work with both the common Ford and Chevy disc brake conversions.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
That comment makes no sense. This is the Chevy based conversion which uses OEM Ford hubs and rotors. Why wouldn't stock lockouts fit stock hubs and rotors? There are hundreds of us here on the board running stock lockouts with the Chevy disc brake conversion.

Matt@Wildhorses

Sponsor/Vendor
The GM spindle used for the conversion is longer than the stock drum spindles. With the spindle being longer, the groove in the axle for the small c clip is covered and cannot be used. If you happen to have axles with a threaded hole in the tip, you can run a bolt and washer and use the stock locking hubs, otherwise typically no. The new Warn or Mile Marker hubs do not require the clip, or a bolt and washer setup. So, yes, you want new locking hubs, either Warn or Mile Markers would be great. We mention it in our instructions #17A, link below. I have heard rumor of folks using stock hubs without a clip or bolt and washer, but do not know their results, or if it was actually done.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn.wildhorses4x4.com/downloads/WH/3005_01-24-22.pdf

Matt

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
The GM spindle used for the conversion is longer than the stock drum spindles. With the spindle being longer, the groove in the axle for the small c clip is covered and cannot be used. If you happen to have axles with a threaded hole in the tip, you can run a bolt and washer and use the stock locking hubs, otherwise typically no. The new Warn or Mile Marker hubs do not require the clip, or a bolt and washer setup. So, yes, you want new locking hubs, either Warn or Mile Markers would be great. We mention it in our instructions #17A, link below. I have heard rumor of folks using stock hubs without a clip or bolt and washer, but do not know their results, or if it was actually done.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn.wildhorses4x4.com/downloads/WH/3005_01-24-22.pdf

Matt

The large outer snap ring that rides in the groove in the hub holds everything in and is readily usable. That ring is the only thing that holds the Warn hub in and holds the stock hubs in just fine.

Matt@Wildhorses

Sponsor/Vendor
Yes, the big clip would fit fine, but that is not not what I was explaining. Small clip, on the axle, is not useable because the GM conversion spindle is longer...

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Yes, the big clip would fit fine, but that is not not what I was explaining. Small clip, on the axle, is not useable because the GM conversion spindle is longer...

Yes, I understand, but that secondary clip isn't what holds everything in. Running the stock hubs without it works fine. I'm sure all the vendors who sell this kit are saying to replace the hubs due to not being able to use the outer snap ring to cover their asses from a liability standpoint, but as I said, there are hundreds of us here on the board running stock hubs with the Chevy disc brake conversion without issue.

OP
OP
daddycreswell

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
I think in the long run I am going to play it safe and replace mine, it's cheap insurance. I am assuming the current ones installed are at least 50 years old.

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
before you order pull your locking hubs and see if your axle stubs have the threaded hole. if so then a fender washer and bolt will remedy the issue...

When you have everthing apart this is good time to check axle u joints....

Chevy stub axles can remedy the clip issue as well

If no threaded hole on axle ..you can flat file belt sand some material on the outer cog gear and also take material off the inner brass thrust spacer to allow the clip to be installed ,, the spicer lock outs are far stronger then the warn or milemarker hubs..

clipless the axle can slide in an out by an inch or so can cause a wallowing effect of the axle if engaged and turning and possible partial engagment on turns if not engaged this was my experince on mine back in the early ninties only the right side had issues though..