• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Is the caster Shim needed for front disc conversion?

bronco loco

It never ends
Loc.
Long Island New York
Good morning, I have a 1978 f150 front differential that I will be removing from the knuckle outwards to replace Leila's bronco front drum brakes. The left spindle has a round camber shim. This is my first time doing a disc conversion, and need to know if I should use the shim or not. Should I wait until everything is in place, get it aligned, and see if the camber shim is needed?

For anyone that had this situation, what steps did you take?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Leave it out for now, but keep it.
Depends on where the caster was flawed at. In the knuckle or the housing. I'm guessing the housing is flawed as it is multiple parts pressed and welded.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
could have been for camber as well. I ending up putting adjusters in mine that helped the camber and added some caster while I was at it. before the swap I didnt have camber issue dont know if it was the knuckles or what. but definitely keep the adjuster in case you need it later on.