• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best front disc brake conversion kit

AzBroncoGuy

I'm in the middle of a complete restoration of my 74 bronco and I'm considering installing front disc brakes along with a power brake booster. I know a lot of these have been done and there are a number of kits out there. I'd like to get some feedback on the ones that worked as advertised and those that didn't. Difficult vs easy installation. In short the good, the bad and the ugly.
Thanks in advance.

LittleBeefy

Sponsor/Vendor
Huge Brakes - www.hugebrakes.com
Ours is the most powerful. And you can reuse your stock hubs and don’t have to grind your knuckles. Will require 17” wheels. Pretty straightforward install if you know how to pull your hubs.

R Moses

Contributor
Loc.
Corbin
I put the Duff Monster Disk Brake kit on my 75 Ranger with the Thunderbird calipers, everything is advertised and works great. Worth every penny!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
"Best" is very opened ended and open to different views of what best really means.
Cheap, easy to install, but still good disk brakes that fit under stock 15" wheels, The GM based stuff is pretty well known.
Junkyard sourced '76-'79 4WD F150 and Bronco parts are good, but nearly impossible to find anymore.
Duff makes all new parts based on the OE Ford design.
Looks like there are a few different big brake kits out now if you are going larger on the wheel size.

That's just brakes. For the power side of things, hydroboost is king. People have converted from vacuum booster to hydroboost, but I have never seen anyone go from hydroboost to vacuum booster.
And a dozen different ways with a dozen different prices and different skill levels to install.