• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

flex line for disk brake swap? tried searching

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
I am not sure on this but it seems like the earlier broncos may have come with a different flare on the brake lines, inverted? I have a 71 with a D30 so I can assume it has the inverted flared lines?

My question comes from searching the T-bird caliper swap. I see people mentioning buying 4x2 (1976?) front brake hoses for their disk brake swap. Are they buying these hoses because of the different brake line flares or are they buying them to fit the T-bird calipers or both?

Is there a reason to not buy the stock T-bird rubber hose for the T-bird caliper swap and is there a reason not to buy the stock 78/79 rubber disk brake hose for that caliper option?

If I can buy a different hose instead of adapters then that would be a better way to go, less parts to screw during assembly.

Doyle

Bronco Guru
BCBroncos has the hoses for either of the calipers you mention, but I don't know of a way to fit those calipers to a Dana 30.

gritz

I did the t bird swap on my 79 but I used stainless brake lines. I had to buy an adapter for the caliper if I remember right. If you are interested pm me and I will go down to the shop and get the part #s. I also used the F350 booster and master cylinder. It stops very well.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
The tbird calipers use a large banjo bolt so they kinda need a different line. stock 76 up lines can be modified to fit. In your case with a D30 and GM calipers I think you can do the same thing as long as you have the correct banjo bolt of the gm calipers 7/16 x20 I believe. The stock bronco or even 78/79 f150/broncos use a 3/8 in banjo so the fitting is a little smaller and may need to be drilled out to fit. Or if they are getting the 2wd lines to work without mods then you should be good with them.
Most of the vendors sell lines that will work with your brakes.

OP
OP
Bronco73

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
I wasn't clear enough. I am installing a D44 with the 78/79 disk brake spindles. I know the vendors sell SS lines. This is where I learned about the different flared brake lines. So I am aware of those options.

What I don't understand is why am I finding posts where people have bought 4x2 brake lines instead of the stock 78/79 4x4 lines. This all revolves around either having a direct fit flex line to the bronco axle steel line or having to add an adapter to it for the flex line to bolt up.

I am trying to determine if there is a factory flex rubber line that will work with either caliper and not have to use an adapter. Hope that's a little more clear.

Maybe I can just re-flare the current steel lines if there is enough to work with.

I only mentioned the D30 because I think it means that it is more than likley stock and if so the brake lines would be the inverted type.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Well thats a little clearer when you mention D30 and not that fact that you are upgrading that throws everything off.
There are simple adapters that you and install beween the hard line and the hose. I doubt you could reflare your line unless you have the correct fitting for 3/16 line to whatever the hose size is.
Im not real sure on why people are using the 2wd hoses there could be a differance. but I dont know. I think the banjo end is the same as the 4wd ones so I still think you will need to modify something.

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The 4x2 hoses were because 25 years ago nobody was making conversion hoses for your brakes to fit the stock hard lines.
They're only for the standard truck calipers. They don't fit the t-bird calipers due to the different fitting style at the caliper like was said.

And no, you can't use the stock lines from a '78/'79 front axle because they're one piece all the way across.
In other words, the soft line from the caliper is literally molded into the hard line that runs along the axle. No fitting. Just a hose/line assembly until you get to the center block.

The pre-made braided stainless hoses are better, last longer, and are easier to source than stock rubber ones usually.

Paul