• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rubber Fuel Line Run Through Flex Elect. Conduit?

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Someone on here did this.

I'm going to be running new rubber 3/8" ID fuel line on top of the frame rail. I was trying to find some cool way to clamp it, but I read someone ran their hose through flexible electrical conduit, clamped to the top of the frame (I have a 2" BL). They may have painted it, I don't remember.

Anything wrong with that idea?
Anything RIGHT about it?

Thanks!

Jim

Broncobowsher

Total hack
What conduit are you thinking about? Split loom? Metal spiral stuff for buildings?

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
The less hose you run, the better. I would plumb what you can in steel tubing, then short amounts of hose on each end. Fuel hose doesn't last very long with today's fuel additives. The teflon lined hosed is what's best.

Mark

BR549

Loc.
huntsville
Eastwood sells the metal line in small rolls and it's easy to work with. Listen to garberz he's spot on. The nylon fuel line didn't seem right for me, but the steel is a clean, solid install.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Another option for hard lines is copper-nickel aka cunifer aka NiCopp, made for brake lines and often used where corrosion is a problem for them.

It is available in diameters large enough for use as fuel line.
Bends and flares much easier than stainless.

OP
OP
ObscureMachine

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
What conduit are you thinking about? Split loom? Metal spiral stuff for buildings?

Metal spiral like flexible conduit like in buildings. Just slide the rubber fuel line right through it, just to give it a different look than a rubber hose. Especially if I paint it body color. Just an idea.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
The less hose you run, the better. I would plumb what you can in steel tubing, then short amounts of hose on each end. Fuel hose doesn't last very long with today's fuel additives. The teflon lined hosed is what's best.

Mark

Another vote for the PTFE flex line. Longer lasting and a cleaner look. Got mine at Summit.

71broncman

Loc.
Woodland Park, Co
I like the NiCopp tubing too. It 's easy to bend, easy to flare and doesn't rust like steel. I ran new fuel lines on my 75 F250 last year and will be replacing the rubber on the Bronco with the NiCopp as well. I made a die that fits in the flaring tool to make a bulge in the end for the rubber lines to hold them on securely. I don't think sliding the rubber through flex conduit would be the best way to go. With the reformulated fuel I like to be able to visually inspect all the rubber lines. I may go with the Teflon lined stuff instead of regular rubber too.
Mark.

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
I tried to make some double flares on the NiCopp tubing and just made a mess. So soft it pushed through the clamp. Threw it aside and got normal brake tubing

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
Metal conduit would be a pain if you have to make a repair. I replaced my rubber hose with nylon. I welded tabs along the frame to zip tie to.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I wouldn't recommend the metal conduit either. I would echo others' comments about using hard line as much as possible, or if you're going to use flexible line, use the stuff with PTFE or similar barrier materials (whether the outer liner is stainless braid or other materials) to help withstand the attacks of current gasoline chemistry.

The EFI-rated rubber lines on my truck are 20 years old now and seem to be holding up well but they will be replaced soon by lines with a modern barrier lining in them.

Todd Z.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
SS braid.....

This is what we used on my FiTech system, you have the strength of the braided hose and the flex too, love the stuff, I used Summit brand, it was a little less expensive but worked out great.;)

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
This is what we used on my FiTech system, you have the strength of the braided hose and the flex too, love the stuff, I used Summit brand, it was a little less expensive but worked out great.;)

It "can" get expensive.
But I did mine 25+ years ago, and they are still perfect.
If I were doing it today I would likely use Summit's Teflon lined hose with the nylon braid. Still super tough but easier to work with. Good stuff.

When I did mine a quarter century ago there were not as many options if you wanted Teflon lined hose. I had to get Aeroquip SS Braid. Uber expensive. It was for race cars that used alcohol or alcohol mixes in their fuel.
I didn't know back then that we would have 10% ethanol in our fuel. I just was a boy racer/young engineer buying the absolute best shit I could for my eb.
Today you can get Teflon lined or other types of barrier hose that can tolerate ethanol. Its a wise decision if going with flexible line to get the good stuff. Yes it still isn't cheap but its a lot cheaper than it was 25 years ago and well worth it for the peace of mind "and" the bragging rights while bench racing, haha.