• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fix or replace body?

fvb100

I am considering replacing the body of my 69 Bronco with a new one. My builder thinks he might be working on it well past what an new body would cost.

It has been media blasted.

What needs to be done and more:

Floor pans (driver side has a bad fix)
Front inner fender skirts
Both rocker panels
Front wheel wells
Rear fenders
Lots of holes

What do you guys think?

OKldUIL.jpg

YQS6QKq.jpg

DQj4uQN.jpg

9ag784e.jpg

aPKcwFn.jpg

e84TpoJ.jpg

3b41xpP.jpg

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Ive seen prices of new bodies going between $9k upwards to $15K. It depends who you go with. Then there is a waiting list. Then there is shipping costs. I too am looking at a new tub but lots of factors play in the equation. Id start out with communication to several tub vendors. Do your homework.

OP
OP
fvb100

fvb100

Ive seen prices of new bodies going between $9k upwards to $15K. It depends who you go with. Then there is a waiting list. Then there is shipping costs. I too am looking at a new tub but lots of factors play in the equation. Id start out with communication to several tub vendors. Do your homework.

I heard these prices too. Some are better priced then others but have longer wait lists.

Fixing the tub I have might bring surprises and more costs (and time).

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Well I thought so too but it is hard to imagine how many hours will go in fixing this one.
i could fix that tub up in half the time that i am going to take fixing and repairing my current build.

chuckyb

Contributor
Looks like the drivers floor pan has been replaced once already. One middle ground option might be to get a new complete floor assembly as opposed to entire new body. Check out the Dynacorn one. My floors were much worse than yours and I went this route. My body man has done tons of Broncos and was impressed with the quality and fitment. Cheap replacement panels means more labor hours / body work.

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Depends how perfect you want it. That is not bad. Even a new body is going to require a lot of finish work.

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
I don't think so. That is a very workable body for less than the cost of new body.
Include a #2 crossmember to the floor board work and list. Without seeing, I bet the inner rockers need a little love too. The overlapping panels are usually an issue. All in all, very workable. And bringing it to your builder already nicely blasted. That is a nice bonus in my book.
Like ngsd said, even the new bodies will likely require blocking, fitment and extra attention before paint. Have fun. You've got a good base. ;D

IMy builder thinks he might be working on it well past what an new body would cost.

mebco09

If you decide to go with a new tub, I will buy this one. That one is in pretty decent shape. At least you know what you are getting into.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Be careful.....you might be getting the "I don't want to work on it" price/advice.

If the builder is saying time in the tub you have is equal to a new tub...hold on to your wallet....He's telling you what he's going to charge you.....

As to the tub, looks like it needs the common areas any old tub needs. Lots of holes to fill. It's totally workable. It's in better shape than mine was when I bought it. Think Fred Flintstone floors, bad door posts, rockers etc. Nothing a welder and some metal can't fix....

Tim

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
This is a fairly classic "build vs buy" scenario. Except in your case, it sounds more like a "buy vs buy."

If you are paying a "builder" to do your metal work, then you are looking at $75-$100 shop rate. I just replaced the floors on my 70 Bronco. I estimate that I have 5 days in the floor (cut out the old, dress the spot welds, fit the new, drill holes, plug weld, grind, dress the backside, seam seal, prep, and prime.) So if I were paying a shop...that's $4K. If I paid a shop that charged me $20 per hour for a laborer to do "grunt work" and $100 per hour for skilled work...then you are talking about $2K for the floors.

The only way that restoration can be cost effective is if you have access to cheap labor. Most of the projects I work on earn me about 10 cents per hour...

I'm sending you a PM.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
I wish MY tub looked that good. Filling holes is pretty minor, IMHO. I'm looking at waaaay more rust/patch/holes than you've got...and I'm gonna fix mine. Just saying.
Randy

OP
OP
fvb100

fvb100

Thanks for all the great responses. I was hoping it would make it easier but it is not.

OP
OP
fvb100

fvb100

This is a fairly classic "build vs buy" scenario. Except in your case, it sounds more like a "buy vs buy."

If you are paying a "builder" to do your metal work, then you are looking at $75-$100 shop rate. I just replaced the floors on my 70 Bronco. I estimate that I have 5 days in the floor (cut out the old, dress the spot welds, fit the new, drill holes, plug weld, grind, dress the backside, seam seal, prep, and prime.) So if I were paying a shop...that's $4K. If I paid a shop that charged me $20 per hour for a laborer to do "grunt work" and $100 per hour for skilled work...then you are talking about $2K for the floors.

The only way that restoration can be cost effective is if you have access to cheap labor. Most of the projects I work on earn me about 10 cents per hour...

I'm sending you a PM.

I wish I had the skills and the space to do it myself. Then again knowing myself it be a long long project.

yakelys69

I think getting three quotes for the work, three quotes for a new body to your door subtract what someone is willing to buy your tub for and base your decision on what’s best for you.

Also with it freshly blasted depending where it’s stored might want to consider getting some primer on it before it starts rusting.

OP
OP
fvb100

fvb100

I don't think so. That is a very workable body for less than the cost of new body.
Include a #2 crossmember to the floor board work and list. Without seeing, I bet the inner rockers need a little love too. The overlapping panels are usually an issue. All in all, very workable. And bringing it to your builder already nicely blasted. That is a nice bonus in my book.
Like ngsd said, even the new bodies will likely require blocking, fitment and extra attention before paint. Have fun. You've got a good base. ;D

Thanks for the input!

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
If that were mine I would fix it. Like others have said way better shape than most start with. Plus you will have the majority of it still OEM Ford parts.