• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Finally joined the club…

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Welcome! (lurker since 2011) ;) That's an amazing find with so many original elements still intact. Congrats!

I’m already torn on only having the flares on the rear, I like it much better when they have flares front and rear but wasn’t aware the front required cutting the front fenders to mount them.
Personally I would leave it as is with just the rear fiberglass flares (maybe replacing them since one is broken). The rear fenders have already been cut, and you're not going to graft on original rear fenders since you want to keep the original paint (which I agree with). So it is what it is.

I know you prefer the look of flares on all 4 wheels, and I do as well for a lifted, modified Bronco. But as it currently sits, it's a prime example of a period correct Bronco from the late 70's & early 80's. It's not 100% stock because the original owner added a few pieces to make it their own, like almost every Bronco owner did before they became classics. Having just rear fender flares (and in white) was a very, very common first modification. Same with the bolted together roll bar, trailer hitch and left rear antenna mount. No, it's not in "just rolled off the assembly line" condition, but it's an amazing time capsule of how these Broncos were driven and enjoyed back in the day.

Great looking Bronco , 4900 gvw a huge plus in my opinion. Would be bad idea to disturb front fenders , at most some fiberglass rear flares that match holes as much as possible painted body color is one of best looks (although yours looks very nice with white flares) . Maybe a stock front bumper and cleaning and detailing . Keep eye out for good used seat bottom , little things like that but keep the truck unmolested (and period correct) otherwise . Congrats .

Last edited:

bfoldy

Contributor
Loc.
Torrance, CA
Congrats! You got a really good one in amazing condition that looks like it will clean up really nicely. As most everyone has mentioned, I'd take my time before making any changes and just prioritize the safety related items. You can get some new flares for the rear and have them paint matched to the body so that way the fronts and rears don't clash, but as Jon (Admin) stated above: very very common to have just the white flares in the back at the time these were added.

Also, I'd suggest just starting with Simple Green for cleaning things under the hood.

Here's a link to what are probably regarded as the best flares. https://broncodesign.com/product/fender-flares/

Welcome to the family!!

OP
OP
magstar67

magstar67

Loc.
Missouri
Congrats! You got a really good one in amazing condition that looks like it will clean up really nicely. As most everyone has mentioned, I'd take my time before making any changes and just prioritize the safety related items. You can get some new flares for the rear and have them paint matched to the body so that way the fronts and rears don't clash, but as Jon (Admin) stated above: very very common to have just the white flares in the back at the time these were added.

Also, I'd suggest just starting with Simple Green for cleaning things under the hood.

Here's a link to what are probably regarded as the best flares. https://broncodesign.com/product/fender-flares/

Welcome to the family!!
Thanks for the great advice. Your yellow Bronco is very similar setup with regards to the flares and looks perfect, do you know your tire size and assuming they are stock offset wheels? Any lift?

bfoldy

Contributor
Loc.
Torrance, CA
Thanks for the great advice. Your yellow Bronco is very similar setup with regards to the flares and looks perfect, do you know your tire size and assuming they are stock offset wheels? Any lift?
Appreciate your compliment.
Here are some details about the modifications you are asking about: The lift consists of 2.5" springs in the front and 1.5" springs in the back (because I don't carry much weight and prefer a more level stance). Additionally, a 1" body lift was added due to a transmission upgrade. The tires are 33" and the wheels have been upgraded to 8" width, which is wider than the stock 5.5" width as it is generally not recommended to run wide tires on narrow wheels. From what I can remember, the backspacing on the wheels is 3.5" or possibly 3.75".

I hope this information is helpful.

Muscle car guys call it day 2 , 4900gvw , cut rear only and 31x10.5x15’s is perfect day 2 stance for early Bronco . Would not lift this Bronco , looks like front might be little lower than stock from heavy bumper and maybe past winch weight . Best look imo would be maybe springs in front to restore original height and would prefer original bumper . Again congrats on a great looking Bronco . Just putting lighter front bumper on may help restore ride height if it is lower than when new .

Last edited: