• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Finally going to replace the lousy Superlift springs. Need advice on amount of lift.

GT350

I have been the proud owner of my '68 since 1991. It was all stock when I bought it, so I have done all the mods since. I installed the Superlift 3.5" lift springs about 20 years ago. Back then there weren't many choices, so that is what I ended up with. The ride has always been stiff and bouncy but I didn't mind when I was younger. Turned 40 this year and I don't just want to tolerate it any longer (or the wife's complaining about it).

I have done extensive research on past discussions here about the different vendors offerings in hopes that this will be the last set of springs I have to buy for this thing. Right now, I have settled on BC Broncos linear front coils and 9-leaf rears as it will be 90% street and 10% trail/camping duty. I understand these give a soft ride without too much lean when cornering.

The dilemma I have now is deciding what height to get. The initial thought was to get 2.5" since I had 3.5" and I would like to lower it a bit in the process intending to reduce tire size from 33" to 32" next time I have to buy tires. (Also to make easier to climb in as I age) The Bronco also has a 1" body lift that is neccessary for 5.0 SEFI hood and AOD tunnel clearance.

Supposedly, front stock height is 7" from bottom of frame to top of axle tube and rear is 6.5", and amount of lift is based on these numbers. Currently, my '68 measures 9.5" front and 7.5" rear, giving me 2.5" lift in front and 1" lift in rear. Obviously, the springs have sagged considerably over the years and also I had removed the unnecessary 1" thick overload leafs many years ago. Armed with this info, it looks like I will have to get stock height springs which defies logic and would likely make my 33x10.50's rub in the front since I would only be left with the 1" body lift. It actually looks pretty level the way it is, but when I add any load it squats pretty good in the back.

Other pertinent info: Stock bumpers, full hardtop, roll bar, no tire rack.

Bottom line is, it looks like a 2.5" will make it higher than it is now (at least in the back) and stock will be too low overall. Anyone have any helpful input?

jeff_gates

I got my bronco 3 months ago and it was one hard ride. It was and still is 2.5 inches with 33s. I installed new progressive springs and 11 leaf packs with 2.5 inch lift and the ride is so much better. You can get kits with shocks from $1000-$1200.

Jeff

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I am running JBG linear rate springs up front and WH 2.5" leaf packs in the back.
Great ride. No bad lean in the corners.
Don't be afraid to mix and match a little. It allowed me to buy stuff in stages then once compiled through it all on.
I went with RS 9000's. Sort of wish I had gone Bilstein but the RS 9000's are probably the next best thing.
Have fun figuring it out and keep us posted.

OP
OP
G

GT350

Not to worried about shocks yet. Currently have Duffs 70/30 shocks. I will see how they work with the new springs before replacing them too.

I am not too crazy about getting stock height springs and then having to add blocks to them. Anyone know if there are 1" or 1.5" lift springs available? I have read about others cutting their coils to lower them but wouldn't that change the spring rate?

OP
OP
G

GT350

Since I can't stand the thought of putting stock height spring in, looks like I will go with the 2.5's and see how it ends up. Might have to remove the roof rack bars so it will still fit in the garage.

Just drove it yesterday and can't believe I have been putting up with the stiff ride for nearly 20 years now! Got to looking at the tires and realized they will have to be replaced sooner than I hoped as well. Probably about 14 years on those BFG AT's now that I think about it. Boy have prices gone up on those, too!

70HalfCab

Loc.
Mandeville, LA
I was in your exact situation with my Bronco a few years ago. Had a 20 year old Superlift 3.5" that I installed 20 years ago. I went with the 3.5" BC coils and 9 leaf rears along with Bilstien 5100s. Bronco rides night and day different. Extremely happy with my choice. I run 33x12.5s. In your situation Id go 2.5.

OP
OP
G

GT350

I pulled the trigger on the 2.5 inch BCB springs. Unfortunately, the front coils are on back order. I am not in a hurry so it is not a problem. Rear lears are a much bigger job anyways, so I will just work on those until the coils arrive.

Anyone have advice on if it is easier to replace the leafs one side at a time or both at once? I would have to rent some big jack stands to do both at once, but it would be worth it if it is makes the job easier.

OP
OP
G

GT350

Got one spring installed weekend before last and the other one installed last Saturday. The back end sits about one inch higher than before, so it is actually level now. Looks much better.

Drove the family into town for dinner and ice cream to test it out. Huge improvement! Having some give to the rear springs actually reduced the bounciness of the front end too. Can't wait to get the new front springs now!

Here is a comparison photo of the old Superlift springs and the new BCB 2.5" 9-pack.
Leaf_Springs.jpg