• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Engine install

jmeyer1971

I am getting ready to put a new engine and transmission in my 71 and was wondering are you guys putting the transfer case on the tranny and swinging it in or installing it after. I was not planning on taking the body off. Any input is appreciated.

73BRO

Last time I did it,I put the trans and case in first. Had them attached,with tcase xmember on a transmission jack and lifted onto the xmember frame brackets which I left on the frame.braced things up and then engine.
With a friend's help and of course not that easy

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I too prefer to have the tranny and t-case installed underneath before installing the engine into the engine bay. Everyone has their preference, but this seems to work the best for me.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
This is funny cause I like to do the trans and the motor together and then put the transfer case on underneath. Sometimes it's a B to get the motor and the trans together. For me at least

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
I did the motor first, then tranny and last the transfer case.;D

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
It depends on your shop. If you have a lift I would put the motor in first then trans then t case, if no lift, Assemble engine and trans and stab. It helps to take the front wheels off and get it down hill some then install the T case last.

Dannyboy71

This is funny cause I like to do the trans and the motor together and then put the transfer case on underneath. Sometimes it's a B to get the motor and the trans together. For me at least

This is how I did mine.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I like to put the engine in first, then the tranny/TC as a unit.
That was until I loaned out my tranny jack. Now I have to do it all in piece.

When are you bringing my tranny jack back??:? You know who you are! %)