• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Engine and transmission upgrade? Blueprint engine?

Vshofel

======================
Admin edit: This thread was split from the "Blueprint engines are a mess" thread, FYI
======================

Do you think keeping my C4 Transmission will be okay - im leaning towards the Blueprint Engine 306CI Bronco Edition Crate Engine - your input is greatly appreciated...

Last edited by a moderator:

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Do you think keeping my C4 Transmission will be okay - im leaning towards the Blueprint Engine 306CI Bronco Edition Crate Engine - your input is greatly appreciated...
So many factors to consider and this really should be a separate post and response.

DD?

Once a month to the mall?

Wheeler?

Freeway speeds?

Long distance trips?

What are your current gears, tires and driving style and WANTS?

What is your budget?

Asking all these as extremely serious questions that will determine why you'd either keep the C4 or go with an auto with an OD.

4r70 bolts up with a controller and offers at least a dozen advantages over the C4. A 6r80 is another huge step above the 4r. Not dissing the 4r as it was the 6th tranny I've had in my same Bronco and it was great. But the 6r is a game changer and anybody that is running one has said the same thing. So much different.

4r70 is a great trans- you'll love it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vshofel

Vshofel

Im on 35s , thinking about going to 33s mostly goto the beach and country roads driving - would like to take the kids on trails/sand/mud, but haven't had the opportunity yet, only 3 years in the bronco family, and been doing work to it, (put efi, disc power vacuum brakes, sometimes i go on the freeway - i don't love it due to the high speeds and handling (safety) ( probably top speed about 65) i probably drive it 1x a week maybe 2x , i have a 302 in it now and mechanic said the white smoke (just started smoking after coming back from mechanic, mechanic said is from pistons and tired engine, so i figure just upgrade the engine versus refresh probably similar in price point - i just did the new radiator 4 core, FLOW waterpump , did Shroud, Sanderson Headers, so i was thinking thats why i was getting the new white smoke after the work done, but mechanic swears its pistons and tired engine...

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
@Vshofel - I just split this off into it's own thread since it was getting pretty far off topic. You'll get better answers that way.

nvrstuk

Contributor
White smoke is not oil burning. White mistout the pipe is water vapor usually from a head gasket.

Blue & black smoke is oil and/or excessive gas (rich mixture).

nvrstuk

Contributor
Since we're trashing vendors

don't buy any engines from Ford Performance. Read my thread for a 10month story of how they can't build an engine! All documented, all their fault and the piston manufacturer agrees.

Oh, and it's not just me.

Quite a few pm's from guys that have had similar tales of woe from Ford Performance.

Last edited:

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A 5.0 explorer engine with your efi would be great for what you are doing. 1996 - 2001 are listed around 240 hp and slightly higher torque. We just put one back together for sound a 1k. Engine was 200, had a bent rod, got a rod for nothing. Checked heads, lapped valves, did nothing to the cam or cam bearings. Put engine kit in, mains, rod bearings and rings. Re-assembled, fired it up with a carb we had , bought a pertronix dis. And Edelbrock intake, not in truck yet, still on the engine stand. Run it up to temp every few days.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Since we're trashing vendors

don't buy any engines from Ford Performance. Read my thread for a 10month story of how they can't build an engine! All documented, all their fault and the piston manufacturer agrees.
(Kk
A 5.0 explorer engine with your efi would be great for what you are doing. 1996 - 2001 are listed around 240 hp and slightly higher torque. We just put one back together for sound a 1k. Engine was 200, had a bent rod, got a rod for nothing. Checked heads, lapped valves, did nothing to the cam or cam bearings. Put engine kit in, mains, rod bearings and rings. Re-assembled, fired it up with a carb we had , bought a pertronix dis. And Edelbrock intake, not in truck yet, still on the engine stand. Run it up to temp every few days.
SCORE!! :)

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
LS swap it
More problems than it is worth and you do not save money. Nothing wrong with an ls, but see my above post. Gonna cost a lot more than that and ls engines have become popular enough they are not cheap anymore.