• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Different Kind of Build Thread

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
Looks good but I see a problem with the stair location unless you are making it a true 2 story building. I usually see them against the wall running parallel to the joists or trusses.

Otherwise, I like it a lot! Mine is 24x38 and is not as big as I wanted but it is all the town would let me do. I ran attic trusses over the first 2 bays and scissor trusses over the lift bay to keep the walls at 10'.

Edit- I would move the lift away from the wall a little more if you can afford the room.

Also, one thought to consider would be to use some hardi panel on the inside if you are going to finish it off. I used Sheetrock but wish I had used something more durable.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Do you have any rough plans or drawing of how you are building it? I built a similar garage for a customer years back and convinced him to do cathedral type trusses to maximize ceiling height and minimize expense of taller walls and more wind protection (for FL). When I had the overhead doors installed I had them follow the ceiling and it made a huge difference. I loved that little BIG shop I built for him. I would say a must is a minimum of 8' overhead doors and be sure you buy the insulated ones. They are a little more up front but far superior to trying to insulate yourself afterwords.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Anchor points......Good idea

The industrial fab shop I used to work for set I-beams in their floor when they were doing the rebar lattice...worked great for anchor points. We'd weld pad-eyes to them and then knock them off when we were done with them. Depending on the type of welder you have, they can work well for grounds if you run a power source with a separate satellite wire feeder cart.

OP
OP
Attac

Attac

Contributor
Do you have any rough plans or drawing of how you are building it? I built a similar garage for a customer years back and convinced him to do cathedral type trusses to maximize ceiling height and minimize expense of taller walls and more wind protection (for FL). When I had the overhead doors installed I had them follow the ceiling and it made a huge difference. I loved that little BIG shop I built for him. I would say a must is a minimum of 8' overhead doors and be sure you buy the insulated ones. They are a little more up front but far superior to trying to insulate yourself afterwords.

16' at the eaves. I am using 10x10 commercial roll up doors.
Just poured the slab today. Concrete company rolled me 3 hrs. I was not happy

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Sorta skimmed this, but you can't have too much lighting and you can't have too many outlets. I have six 4 foot 2-tube fluorescents in a typical 2 car garage sized shop and two 2x4 skylights, and that sometimes isn't enough. Plan for even more lighting over work areas. I have come to HATE the code required GFI outlets.

I used sheetrock for it's inflammable property. I specified that the texture coat be the bare minimum, and I used white semi-gloss paint on the walls. Adds to the lighting and makes cleaning with a broom simple.

migs

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I was also thinking of some sort of curtain type thingy (yes that is a word) to separate one bay when needed for spraying primer and such. I don't paint but I do shoot primer every now and then. Any thoughts on a not to expensive solution. Was thinking of the hospital types of curtain tracks maybe ????

Nice space you'll have there!

As to the curtain thingy, I think it's a great idea. I do a bit of painting from time to time and finally got tired of the hanging plastic routine so I broke down and bought a 24 foot long Goff's sliding curtain wall. might be a little more expensive than you probably want but for me I've found it well worth it. it's heavy duty, weighted on the bottom, has a clear middle section to let light through and can be hosed down. I set it up to give me about a 12'x13' corner and I have an exhaust fan in the window there. also find it usefull when I do a lot of grinding or sanding, keeps the dust off of the rest of the stuff in the garage.
and when not in use it's bungeed out of the way against the wall.

Attachments

• P1010003.jpg
    P1010003.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 58
  • P1010002.jpg
    P1010002.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 53
OP
OP
Attac

Attac

Contributor
Sorta skimmed this, but you can't have too much lighting and you can't have too many outlets. I have six 4 foot 2-tube fluorescents in a typical 2 car garage sized shop and two 2x4 skylights, and that sometimes isn't enough. Plan for even more lighting over work areas. I have come to HATE the code required GFI outlets.

I agree fully with this. I have 120 and 240 outlets and air about every 10 feet around the perimeter as well as drops from ceiling in between bays. For the lights I am looking at all of the led models now as they last and will also put some daylight fluorescents on a different switch when I need more light. I haven't decided on the walls yet.

I used sheetrock for it's inflammable property. I specified that the texture coat be the bare minimum, and I used white semi-gloss paint on the walls. Adds to the lighting and makes cleaning with a broom simple.

Nice space you'll have there!

As to the curtain thingy, I think it's a great idea. I do a bit of painting from time to time and finally got tired of the hanging plastic routine so I broke down and bought a 24 foot long Goff's sliding curtain wall. might be a little more expensive than you probably want but for me I've found it well worth it. it's heavy duty, weighted on the bottom, has a clear middle section to let light through and can be hosed down. I set it up to give me about a 12'x13' corner and I have an exhaust fan in the window there. also find it usefull when I do a lot of grinding or sanding, keeps the dust off of the rest of the stuff in the garage.
and when not in use it's bungeed out of the way against the wall.

That is just what I was talking about. I will look them up. Thanks

Chuck

OP
OP
Attac

Attac

Contributor
so I poured the slab with my oldest son and a couple of labor guys. I had asked for guys who new a little about concrete. They sent 2 guys who had only done pools using shot crete. But I had ran a scree pipe down the center of the slab so its not rocket science. Concrete was set for 9am They sent first truck at noon. 2nd truck came at 1:30 and 3rd at 3 the finish out got there at 4. I was not happy. I had to work keeping joints from becoming cold joints. 1 driver was great he brought 2 loads. one decided to dump about 3 piles on me about 3' high each when he started. I almost ripped him out of the truck. Anyway 8:30 last night I finally got off the trowel machine and caught the end of my Youngest sons football game (They won!! Now 7-0) Here are a couple of pics my son took while we were pouring and right after we first worked the edges. I don't miss doing this for a living at all!!

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 61

xfalcon

you don't use Rebar? or is that so you can demo it later if needed?

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
If you are going to heat and cool it you need to get away from the roll up doors if you can. I have them and I hate them. I won't buy them again. Overhead doors is the only way to go in my opinion.

OP
OP
Attac

Attac

Contributor
No wire is needed if he used fiberglass reinforced concrete. He still needs rebar in the footers.

This^ is correct. I usually don't pour with fiber because it likes to roll on surface when finishing it. I ran 2 #5 all the way around footer and thickened the areas that I would be putting perm walls as well as where the lift supports are being fastened.

Wire is great but with unknown help coming I was worried that the wire would not get pulled to middle of slab where it needs to be by my helpers so I opted for fiber this time
Chuck

OP
OP
Attac

Attac

Contributor
Pulled form boards off yesterday before work and everything looks good. Gonna keep it wet until the building shell arrives in a week or so.

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 55
OP
OP
Attac

Attac

Contributor
Just talked to steel building installers today. They will be installing next mon and tues ����
Cant wait.

OP
OP
Attac

Attac

Contributor
Its here!!

So my new shop showed up today packed on 1 trailer pulled behind a dually.
All 3 10x10 roll up doors and all.
This is what 4 guys got done in about 6 hrs. They told me they will be done tomorrow
I will take better pics tomorrow

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
Attac

Attac

Contributor
Almost got it all done today.
Just a few pieces of trim and I will be on to the interior walls and wiring
Then AC and the lift ;D

Attachments

• 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 36

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
gotta have a man cave/office area...looks like this may turn into a job

OP
OP
Attac

Attac

Contributor
Phase 1 complete

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
Attac

Attac

Contributor
Rydog yea. Tonight I start wiring and running air pipes. Have inside framing to do also. Then when I can move everything over I am turning old small shop into a storage room with lots of shelves

OP
OP
Attac

Attac

Contributor
Ok so it has been a while since I updated this but Christmas and work got in the way but I am back on the shop again
Here are some pics of the wiring and air setup
also my storage area and a Machine room that I built in one end
and above a shelf and bin for parts.... still working on it
Chuck

Attachments

• 106.jpg
    106.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 105.jpg
    105.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 104.jpg