• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dan Wheeler's Explorer Power Steering Replacement Thread

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
Well this one's barely worth the write-up because if you can put an Explorer motor in your Bronco, the P/S pump isn't going to be much of a challenge but y'all know how much I like taking pictures of everything :)

Estimate: 2-3 hours
Cost: About $60 + core

- Remove your accesory belt

- Unbolt the pump from the bracket. There are 4 bolts. 3 in front. 1 in back. There is not a bolt in the bottom rear hole.

- Plug/cap your hi-pressure out and your return lines

WP000550-S.jpg

- Remove the pump and reservoir together to avoid spills

- Empty the reservoir and detach it from the old pump

- Remove the pulley from the old pump by jamming a screwdriver in the holes

WP000551-S.jpg

New Pump
WP000552-S.jpg

- Attach pulley and reservoir to new pump

WP000554-S.jpg

- Re-install new pump and reservoir

- Install your Lee's Power Steering adapter with the coned side of the aluminum washer facing down into the pump

WP000555-S.jpg

- Fill with Mercon V (factory spec) or whatever you prefer

- Done!

I didn't have to do much bleeding of the system. I pretty much had full power steering power right away with no groaning. It was a big improvement over my old pump - much faster steering. The explorer pump seems to keep up just fine with my hydroboost, steering gearbox and hydraulic assist cylinder. I think I'll hold off on the $3-400 PSC pump for now.